Triquetra Cats Review (oh, and i hit 80 reviews)

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Triquetra Cats Review (oh, and i hit 80 reviews)

Postby DJMayhem on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:13 pm

As the title suggests, Triquetra Cats have been reviewed.

and it's my 80th review.

whoo!
You know, i should work on this.
DJMayhem
cor leonis

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:26 pm

out of curiosity how far into the comic did you read before the review?

just asked because I didnt get the impression that you got past the 4th story

yes I am replying to defend my work but I'm not going to take the "OMG U H8 My brilliant comic cuz ur jelus" routte, I admit that it's not the GREATEST comic out there, but in the same token there are alot worse out there too

yes I'll admit that the earlier comics are pretty weak and the "japanese language fillers" were a miserable failure (I've long since scrapped them)

however I think I have vastly improved in recent stories, I;ve taken note of my weak spots and am trying to compensate for them (the 3D backgrounds because I am horrible at drawing backgrounds, although in the latest story I have tried my hand at hand drawn backgrounds) I have limited my use of screen tones. and gotten someone who can handle writing dialogue better than I can

ultimately I guess they say any review is a good review because it means that someone is at least paying attention
" 'this is something I will not allow to go unpunished'? what is that, anime cliche quote #273?" -Soricha Rain

http://triquetracats.comicgenesis.com
JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Sincerely on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:27 pm

He read the whole thing. Twice.
Sincerely
Ice Queen

Postby Faceless on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:29 pm

sincerely wrote:He read the whole thing. Twice.
Faceless
Regular Poster

Postby DJMayhem on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:35 pm

ahem. I've never commented on bad reviews, because I believed that it would perpetuate negative press on my part, but i've decided to change that now.

I did read through the comic, twice. two and a half, actually.

You still use screentones heavily, and that sometimes muddles the background. Chiches are still heavily used, and they do get in the way.

I don't explicitly say not to use 3D backgrounds- Masamune Shirow used them pretty well with Ghost in the Shell 2: Man Machine Interface.

any more questions?
DJMayhem
cor leonis

Postby Pimpette on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Whoo! You go Team! :D
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:46 pm

dont get me wrong I'm not ripping on you of course,

I just think that my comic has some good points as well

(as for the backgrounds I am as I said still looking for the best render settings so they look as best as possible, I would like a completely new render program but as I cant afford it well, you gotta work with what you have you know)

the image you linked to is probably not the best example, this entire storyline was experimental, and as such I decided to be experimental in the art, I'm not totally happy with how a lot of it came out myself

I think THIS PAGE is a lot better, the tones are not as muddled, but even then I agree there are a dozen ways I could have made it better still, it IS after all a learning process
" 'this is something I will not allow to go unpunished'? what is that, anime cliche quote #273?" -Soricha Rain

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Komiyan on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm

It's better than the one TM linked, yes, but photo backgrounds never really look that good. Draw them yourself, it really would look better.
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:53 pm

heh its not a photo its rendered in 3D and as I mentioned, the reason why I use them is I recognize that hand drawn backgrounds are a weak point for me so I'm trying to compensate for that

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Sincerely on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:57 pm

Heh. Slashu, chompu, plip... u. *shakes head*

The backgrounds would look better if the characters cast shadows.
Sincerely
Ice Queen

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:01 pm

sincerely wrote:Heh. Slashu, chompu, plip... u. *shakes head*

The backgrounds would look better if the characters cast shadows.

heh blame that one on my scriptwriter,

as for the shadows I actually did put shadows in there, they just blend in with the shadows of the scenery it seems

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Sincerely on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:09 pm

A drone! You have NO control over your script! All you do is make pretty pictures according to the script! No mind of your own!

Sorry...

Oh, hey, here's a thought... If you don't actually do any of the writing, why is it called "Jessica Raven's Triquetra Cats" and not "Jessica Raven and apparently anonymous script writer's Triquetra Cats"?
Sincerely
Ice Queen

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:24 pm

sincerely wrote:A drone! You have NO control over your script! All you do is make pretty pictures according to the script! No mind of your own!

Sorry...

Oh, hey, here's a thought... If you don't actually do any of the writing, why is it called "Jessica Raven's Triquetra Cats" and not "Jessica Raven and apparently anonymous script writer's Triquetra Cats"?

actually it does, it has my name as I did create the concept and the characters, my scriptwriter just does the dialogue

ok after checking the site, I see that the bylines have been deleted, another thing I'm going to have to fix in the next update, under the logo it SHOULD say Story and Art by JessicaRaven Silverstone Script by Chrysicat

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Komiyan on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:30 pm

JessicaRaven wrote:heh its not a photo its rendered in 3D and as I mentioned, the reason why I use them is I recognize that hand drawn backgrounds are a weak point for me so I'm trying to compensate for that

The way you get better is by practising, not avoiding..
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:34 pm

I never said I dont practice hand drawn backgrounds, I just tend not to use those results in my comic (with the exception of the last story arc)

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby Wp on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:53 pm

Well, a lot of comics have at least some good areas. But that's not the point. You should pay attention to what TM has said to improve your comic. Don't focus so much on the overall negative review. And remember, TM does do re-reviews, so if you improve enough, he may possibly look at your comic again.

If it makes you feel better, I think you make good use of angles and poses. Your comics, especially the later ones, don't seem as static as many manga comics that mostly represent frontal, 3/4ths, or profile view over and over again (including mine). The proportions of the characters are also fairly well done.

I really wish you would clean up the lines though. Are they supposed to be so jaggedy and pixelated?
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby JessicaRaven on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:08 pm

as I said I'm not ripping and have said that yes I can see what he;s talking about and am working on those areas

as for pixelated, is that on the older or more recent comics? if its more recent well I do all my art on a tablet PC I and could work in a higher resolution, if older, blame a bad scanner

JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master

Postby DJMayhem on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:12 pm

wp wrote:Well, a lot of comics have at least some good areas. But that's not the point. You should pay attention to what TM has said to improve your comic. Don't focus so much on the overall negative review. And remember, TM does do re-reviews, so if you improve enough, he may possibly look at your comic again.

I haven't yet, but yes, its been taken into consideration. There's one megapopular comic most of the people in chat know I'm gonna smack a review on once i hit 100.
DJMayhem
cor leonis

Postby ChaosBurnFlame on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:40 pm

All I have to say is: If you think that was a mean review, go to blambot and ask for a critique there.

This review is downright polite.
ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster

Postby ChaosBurnFlame on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:49 pm

JessicaRaven wrote:out of curiosity how far into the comic did you read before the review?

just asked because I didnt get the impression that you got past the 4th story

One of the first attempts at trying to discredit a reviewer is to attack the amount of attention they paid to the story.

Either that or trying to say 'all art is subjective' or 'I am really popular!'.

JessicaRaven wrote:yes I am replying to defend my work but I'm not going to take the "OMG U H8 My brilliant comic cuz ur jelus" routte, I admit that it's not the GREATEST comic out there, but in the same token there are alot worse out there too

"A gunshot wound is worse than being stabbed by a pencil." logic.

JessicaRaven wrote:yes I'll admit that the earlier comics are pretty weak and the "japanese language fillers" were a miserable failure (I've long since scrapped them)

Admitting failure. Good.

JessicaRaven wrote:however I think I have vastly improved in recent stories, I;ve taken note of my weak spots and am trying to compensate for them

It's better to let someone ELSE take notes on your weakspots and send them to you. Someone I know on AIM sometimes randomly IM's me with "What the hell did you do?!" in regards to me seriously screwing up on my art. While crude, he is tons more effective than self evaluation.

JessicaRaven wrote:(the 3D backgrounds because I am horrible at drawing backgrounds, although in the latest story I have tried my hand at hand drawn backgrounds) I have limited my use of screen tones. and gotten someone who can handle writing dialogue better than I can

So far, the only things you're listing is a dependance on other things to try and patch up your weakspots. You can't use tools and people as bandaids. This creates an overreliance on said tools and people. I've learned from my first month that the only person you can rely on is yourself(When my first editor suddenly dropped off the face of the earth due to mid terms... i didn't see him again until January!).

You'll never get better at backgrounds by using 3D renders, and you'll never get better at dialogue if you never write two people talking to eachother. If you draw 30 comics that look like positive manure while trying to feel out backgrounds, then you get 30 days of experience in getting better.
ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion