Can't stay logged in on the forums?

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Can't stay logged in on the forums?

Postby STrRedWolf on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:01 pm

I've set the cookie "expiration date" to one week, in comparision to two days. Why it was set like that I do not know.

If you still can't stay logged in, and you know you checked the "keep me logged in" option when you do log in, check a few things:

First, check your cookies:
  • In IE, they're in "Internet Options". In Mozilla and Firefox, go into the Tools menu, you should find them there or inside "Preferences".
  • Check to see if forums.keenspace.com has the ability to set regular cookies and not just session cookies. (You may also have to tweak your cookie-related privacy settings)
  • Also, in Mozilla and Firefox, find all cookies that are from banner ad services (such as doubleclick.com, 207.net, etc) and ban them from setting cookies again. (Mozilla and Firefox I belive still have a 300 or so cookie limit for it's cookie jar -- banning sites from putting in cookies into the jar helps keep the ones you want in)

Second, and I constantly repeat myself over this, disable any proxyware that strips out referal headers and cookies!!! Infact, if you have a cable/dsl router, disable any firewall software you have because you got a hardware firewall already. The cable/dsl router already blocks all the requests going into your PC that may harm it. Most of the time I've found those software firewalls blocking traffing going OUT, including access to Google, us, and the Internet as a whole. It's not worth the agrivation. Just yank it out if you're already protected by hardware.

Third, if you still can't stay logged in, go back into your cookie manager and yank out all the cookies from forums.keenspace.com, and then restart your browser. Log back in.

And Finally if after all this time it's still not fixed, bug me on this forum with what web browser you're using on what OS (and what version of the OS), and I'll look into it.
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby The Neko on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm set at permanent login.

So, when I go to the KeenSpace main site, and then I come to the forum, I'm logged out. This doesn't happen anywhere else. The same problem happened on that "test forum" a few months back. Even VIEWING the site screwed up the cookie for this forum.
jag saknar självförtroende
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Dburkhead on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:30 pm

I'm still having the problem.

I'm using IE6 on W2KSP4 (with current updates).
I have a Linksys router which I use as a firewall.
No software firewall.
IE Privacy settings:
- First Party Cookies: accept
- Third Party Cookies: accept
- Always allow session cookies: checked.

I go to the forums. I log in. I close IE. I reopen IE. I come back to the forums. Not logged in.

This behavior began a few days ago.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Updates Wednesdays
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kaourika on Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:54 pm

In addition to not keeping the "remember me," occassionally I get the "page refreshes over and over again when you try to enter login" treatment. And as far as that goes, it happens SOMETIMES, but not all of the time. Weird.

Using disk cleanup to clear out my temp internet files, which I do anyway on a regular basis, fixes the problem for some retarted reason. *shrugs*

But, back to the "remember me" not working: in addition to dealing w my cookies, I've disabled my PC's firewall. However, I'm also on a LAN which runs through a firewall. Before I bother you w other details... to what extent do you think the LAN's firewall might effect things?

I've been living w these login problems for a long time now, so even though it would be nice to have it fixed, I can deal if I have to.
Kaourika
Regular Poster

Postby Dburkhead on Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:43 am

"Delete cookies" was what fixed the problem for me.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Updates Wednesdays
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bo Lindbergh on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:48 pm

Why is the forum trying to set cookies for the wrong domain?

http://forums.keenspace.com/ wrote:Set-Cookie: ksbb_data=a%3A0%3A%7B%7D; expires=Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:44:31 GMT; path=/; domain=keenspace.com
Set-Cookie: ksbb_sid=7f4652696494aa4b26df10ea307510bf; path=/; domain=keenspace.com
Bo Lindbergh
Regular Poster

Postby Dutch! on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:44 pm

I found that I wasn't logged on, but I reset it to stay logged on. Then whenever I turned up, it said I had only been away five minutes (every time) and the only new posts were three or four. It wasn't keeping time properly.

I've since made the forum page my homepage, so whenever I open the internet it pops up and has the time logged out correct.

Dunno if anyone else had this problem.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Kisai on Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:08 am

Explanation of the bug:

The main page has shadow copy of phpBB on it. It uses the same DOMAIN cookie as the forums, however the time configuration was not consistant, forums.keenspace.com was set to one thing, and X.keenspace.com was set to another. Thereby if you visited the front page after logging into the forums, it would reset the cookie to 3600 seconds.

Now on the 28th, someone at he.net rebooted butch(the main server) which made the database go out of sync, so visiting the www page made delete the cookie, and attempting to login back in would reset the cookie.

This is why having software that tampers with cookies is a BAD idea. Internet explorer is especially dumb when it comes to handling cookies, something I've known for over 2 years. The cookie system is just as borked as it was when I setup SITEADMIN based on how PHPBB does the session handling.

So first things first, preventing problems on your end:
KILL NORTON.
Disable anything that attempts to "enhance your privacy", because this software mangles output from your computer. The only way we have to combat this malware is to make the login page use SSL, in which case the entire forum system would have to run in SSL mode to properly work.

Yes Malware. Norton ANTIVIRUS is okay, but the rest of the security suite is garbage. Buy a 60$ router instead of paying Anything for Norton Internet Security, it works better.

Other software , EZArmour, ZoneAlarm, and whatever else is out there mangles the cookies and referrers and browser data, basically anything that can be used to keep state data (ie, logged into things)

Privacy enhancement software works by preventing your computer from sending anything that can uniquely identify you, so in some cases it sends nothing at all, which results in phpBB having to guess who you are from the login string, and then affix the login string to every page. You can't "stay logged in" because the software is "protecting you" from it.

Personally, I use two computers, my parents computer which has this norton crap on it, and my laptop which has only computer associates antivirus on it. My laptop runs faster than my dads PC does, despite my dads PC spec-for-spec being identical.

When I turn off norton entirely, woo yay, it runs fast.

Now to the flip side of when you need such software:
You hook up to a school dorm (cause zombie PC's run rampant)
you access "open" WiFi hotspots

Yep, that's about it. I will no longer be working for a company tomorrow, but that company doesn't run any of this nonsense soft-firewall stuff, it only runs antivirus software. On some of the computers they have port-monitoring software, nothing that blocks traffic.

Amount of times we've had problems? Oh... I think twice in two years, of which both were viruses that exploited holes in Windows, the reason it happened is that they run XPSP1, not SP2, and still run SP1. Remember keep your windows updated with autoupdate.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Kaourika on Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Disable anything that attempts to "enhance your privacy",

Could you please elaborate upon this? Everything?

I'm on a LAN, and to get to a computer from which I might disable all Norton-related security functions, I have to walk a fourth of a mile. XD

On the other hand, I do, of course, have control of the native internal firewall, and the native virus scanning software--is this "everything" enough? :lol:
Kaourika
Regular Poster

Postby STrRedWolf on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:04 am

kaourika wrote:

I'm on a LAN, and to get to a computer from which I might disable all Norton-related security functions, I have to walk a fourth of a mile. XD

On the other hand, I do, of course, have control of the native internal firewall, and the native virus scanning software--is this "everything" enough? :lol:

Disable any software firewall. Keep the antivirus stuff running.

Or, if you're adventurous, just don't run Windows. :)
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Special K on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:46 am

I was having this problem too. I switched the link for my forum from 'forumname.keenspace.com' to 'forumname.comicgenesis.com' and now it works just fine.
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!
Special K
Regular Poster

Postby -Fanny pack on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:30 am

kaourika wrote:

You only need to disable things on your computer. Other computers can have whatever firewalls they want. All that matters is the one with which you are, at present, viewing ComicGenesis with.
-Fanny pack
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Rkolter on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:34 am

For what it's worth,

I was having this problem. Then I noticed the keenspace forums were the Comic Genesis forums and hosted at forums.comicgenesis.com. While the old link redirected me, I thought, 'what the heck' and created all new links to forums.comicgenesis.com.

Suddenly, I was able to remain logged in!

I go here from two different computers. The other computer was acting up - not leaving me logged in. So, I did the same thing. Deleted the old favorites, cretaed new favorites with the new urls. Poof. Suddenly I'm remaining logged in.

So my suggestion, found just by luck, is to pull your old favorites to the forums and regenerate them with the new location (or if you want to be technical, you could just edit the url each favorite goes to...).
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Re: Can't stay logged in on the forums?

Postby lee500 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:10 am

The idea is to get you interested with some visuals before I bury you in a mountain of text. These where done nearly three years ago now:
lee500

Return to Help Center