To boldly go where no man has gone before!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Post by War »

Into the place that I do call home!




Our first port of call is my front door:
Image
I am room number 7.11. 11th room on the 7th floor (here at Bath, the ground floor is floor 1, so I'm actually on the 6th floor). A pretty uninspiring door that was popular in the 80s.
We venture in:
Image
On the right you will notice a sink, which is badly in need of a clean. Around it are some of the necessities in life; aspirin for the morning after my Gilette Mach3, and toothbrush and toothpaste to remove that morning after taste from my mouth. In the distance you can see my printer, an Epson. In the future I'm sticking to HP, I really don't like Epson. Notes from thermofluids lectures are littered over the floor.
We're now well into my room:
Image
Before us is my desk, where I spend a lot of my time. By throwing my keyboard on the bed, I get just about enough space to draw a comic. I pin my favourite sketches on the noticeboard. It's washing day, so there are clothes lying about the place drying off. I'm actually not too bad about leaving dirty washing lying around, I make sport of throwing it into a bag for that purpose.
My main monitor shares the desk, the secondary one just gets used for IRC and palettes, so sits on the window ledge thing. Subwoofer in the corner with front right speaker on it. The centre speaker is hiding on the second shelf up, behind a box of instructions for drinking games. The front left speaker is hiding behind my pint mug, which is in dire need of a clean.
Wallscrolls!
Image
I have to keep them up using huge great blobs of blu tak. I have Gunnm, Evangelion and FLCL ones so far. There's also a Trigun poster on the bit of wall you can't see. The FLCL one is my favourite, I was torn between that one and a haruko one, but I think I made the right decision. The pipe in the corner feeds the toilet on the floor above. It's a right pain when I'm about to fall asleep and someone flushes the toilet.
Image
This is the centre of my computer. I used to call it Colossus, but this new case is a fair bit smaller than my old hulking full tower. I have to plug the various plugs in one at a time into the power strip. If I turn it on at the mains with them all plugged in it trips the jumpers. Thing's too darn sensitive.

And there you go. This is where I live.
Anyone else got photos?

User avatar
Orion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: Omnipresent
Contact:

Post by Orion »

If I had a camera I would, I live in a room which claims to be a double but is only slightly larger than a single. fortunately I have driven off all the roommates I have been assigned so I get a double sized room all to myself for less than the cost of a single.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys


Image
Image
Image

ZOMBIE USER 14998
Regular Poster
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 14998 »

Just to offer a counter-testimonial, I use an Epson printer, and I have been quite happy with it. In addition to the scanning of artwork, it's great being able to make photocopies in your own home.

User avatar
Faceless
Regular Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:28 am
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Post by Faceless »

I would take some pics, but my digital camera broke when I connected it to the wire. Damn cheap junk... I'll try to get new, better camera soon.
Last edited by Faceless on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Asarea
Regular Poster
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:53 pm
Location: Outta space
Contact:

Post by Asarea »

:o

OK now I know why there are so many comics about 'weird room mates' ...

*grin*
My DA-Gallery - some art stuff

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Very student digs look you've got going there, nice!

I'm not going to give a walkthrough of my parents place as it's a real tip, trust me, this place isn't pretty. But I've got a picture of my desktop dating from spring 2003 if that counts?

I was entered as the Polycount's Messiest Desktop but lost out due to too much attempted organisation, they said I'd have won Most Cluttered if that was running, hrmpf...

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I did a walkthru of my home back in Cleveland, but nothing like that here in St. Louis. I really aught to, if only for insurance reasons. Maybe I will and then post 'em here.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Faceless
Regular Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:28 am
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Post by Faceless »

LAG, by any small chance do you collect Warhammer Fantasy/40,00?

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Did anyone else notice that the subject line suggests Digital War is female?
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

I think it refers to the fact that he only allows females into his room. :wink:

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

Damn, I live in a $5k a year dorm/closet here... roughly 10'x20'. At least I don't have to mess with a roommate.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Jops
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Zzyzx Rd.
Contact:

Post by Jops »

i took a couple of pictures of my desk for a silly filler one day.
here it is!

i've put in a camo and army-like stuff that normally ain't there 'cause my comic is military themed, besides the rest of my room is much worse than that.
Jops

Image Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

brockway wrote:Damn, I live in a $5k a year dorm/closet here... roughly 10'x20'. At least I don't have to mess with a roommate.
Woah. I get 2800 square feet and three stories (well, basement, first, and second floor) for @9k a year. You're getting ripped off brockway.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

I know... thats why I always bitch about them taking my money... those bastards.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

rkolter wrote:Did anyone else notice that the subject line suggests Digital War is female?
Either that, or he's not human, or he doesn't dare to enter his own room... but how would he manage to make it so messy? By throwing stuff in through the window? o_@
Yeah, I noticed that too.
Last edited by YarpsDat on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Oh yeah, see that bowl by my second monitor. It's been there for 3 weeks. The ketchup in it has gone funny.
This is my computer when it's at home:
Image
I love my desk. Holds everything, and still has about 4 times more drawing room than I do here. Also, room is about 3 times bigger. And a decent mattress on the bed (uni mattress sags something awful).

This image is helpfully annotated.

User avatar
Jops
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Zzyzx Rd.
Contact:

Post by Jops »

YarpsDat wrote:
rkolter wrote:Did anyone else notice that the subject line suggests Digital War is female?
Either that, or he's not human.
He's not human, trust me!
Jops

Image Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Quiet you.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

Anyways it's extremly tidy compared to mine.
In my room the only surface NOT covered with piles of stuff is the sliding part of the desk, on which the keyboard rests.
And it's not covered with piles of stuff only because it's the moving part, and every pile of stuff put on it soon lands on the floor.

Okay, my floor is not covered with piles of stuff too, but that's because I have to pick everything that lands on the floor, or else it gets dezintegrated.

<<


>>

EDIT:
BTW, LAG, I love that tower of CDs in the middle.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

Iamausername
Regular Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:45 pm

Post by Iamausername »

if i can work out how to use my digital camera any time soon, i'll post up some photos.
formerly forumite, still creator of New Project.

Post Reply