Adjusting Comic HTML

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

Adjusting Comic HTML

Postby TrajediJill on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:44 pm

I want to have each archived comic have some little tid bits of info that is about that comic, however when I try to FTP the new versions of the archived comic's HTML file it tells me that the file is denied.

What do I need to do to do this?
~Trajedi

Forest Gump once said "Stupid is as Stupid does." I say all the time "Stupid people really shouldn't be left unsupervised at a bus stop."
TrajediJill
Regular Poster

Postby Cope on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:07 pm

I think text files are what you're after.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby TrajediJill on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Nope, but thank you for trying.

On the page at the older comic is on I some information there for each individual comic. Since I have more then one writer and possibly another artist I want to give 'em credit on the page along with the "air" date of the comic and name of the issue since I have the location like a film script on the comic itself instead of the title of the issue.
~Trajedi

Forest Gump once said "Stupid is as Stupid does." I say all the time "Stupid people really shouldn't be left unsupervised at a bus stop."
TrajediJill
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:45 pm

Actually I think Cope is right about the text files.

If you name your comic

comicname.dateA.JPG

Then you can upload a text file called

comicname.dateB.txt

And the text file will appear underneath the image. Then you can have the text file say whatever you want to.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sput on Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 pm

Yea. You're talking about editing the public_html files directly- which is generally a Bad Idea, i think.
lazy sput is lazy.
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup

Postby TrajediJill on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:46 am

Yes I'm aware that I am adjusting the public files. I have done it in the past for my comic Wordz of Wizdum. I always make sure I have backups for the original files I am adjusting so if something goes wrong I can fix it. It's worked in the past and now my access is denied.

I don't want what you people keep suggesting I simply want to know why I can't access and adjust something in MY account and how I can fix this.

Please I don't want any more suggestions of the text files; This isn't what I was asking, I know how to do it, and suggesting that is just wasting my and your time. Thank you.
~Trajedi

TrajediJill
Regular Poster

Postby Swiftbow on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:00 pm

In my ftp program (CuteFTP), I just rename protected files and then upload the new one. It lets me do that, even if it won't allow deleting or overwriting. Incidentally, I can usually delete the old file after I rename it.

As for not editing public_html, I don't use any of the auto-update stuff on my comic, so I edit public_html constantly. As long as you have a basic understanding of websites and html, everything is hunky-dory.
The banner compels you to read...

Uber Star Wars (prequel rewrites!)
Swiftbow
Regular Poster

Postby Little_e- on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:14 pm

Does it give you the same permission denied message no matter what you try to FTP/to whatever folder? or just this particular stuff to this particular folder? Do the other authors/artists have account priveledges?
Little_e-
Regular Poster

Postby Mercury Hat on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:20 am

This thread is over a month old and the person's long gone. Look at timestamps before you reply.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Return to Gear