daily updates blog

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

daily updates blog

Postby JasonAFox on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:27 am

i don't know if i'm asking this in the right forum, or if it's been answered elsewhere so please, be patient with me.

what i was wondering is, is there a way for me to modify each individual comics page to add a blog on at a lower point in the page, then(!) make sure that that blog stays with that individual comic constantly, i know there's a way of doing it via txt file, but i wanted to include pictures in it, and i know there's a way of doing it by naming it for example 20050806b, but i want it to be seperated from my comic, possibly further down the page.

i know it may not be possible to get autokeen to do this, and i am willing to do it by hand, i was just wondering if it's possible.

if anyone can help thanks a lot.
Many Geeks, no story
L337 CH1CK3N
JasonAFox

Postby -Fanny pack on Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:05 am

The txt file method is what you want. You can put HTML in the text file and it'll work fine. The text file is copied into the page, so any HTML appears. As long as you can shove your images in some folder that ain't /WHEREVER/comics/, you'll be fine.
-Fanny pack
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby JasonAFox on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:11 pm

cheers that could work, i'll have to see if i can work it out. i'll try fiddling with it for a bit.

thanks for helping.
Many Geeks, no story
L337 CH1CK3N
JasonAFox

Postby Avatar007 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:34 am

I am wondering the same thing, but unfortunately I still haven't received my password email so I can't test out my site design.

I have a question: Can you include autokeen tags in the text files? If so, will they update correctly?

For instance, will the following work:

Code: Select all
***todays_comic***

The above is placed in your indextemplate flie. Your comic file "20050818a.png" and text/blog file "20050818b.txt" are in the appropriate folder. In the .txt file you have this code:

Code: Select all
***first_day*** ***previous_day*** ***next_day*** ***last_day***
<hr>
<p> Blog! </p>

And what I mean by "work" is will this display your comic, followed by the navigation stuff, followed by your blog?
<a href="http://coldfeet.comicgenesis.com/">Image</a>
Regular Poster

Postby Mercury Hat on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:58 am

Yes, you can use both HTML coding as well as autokeen tags and they'll get processed the same as if they were on the actual page itself.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Reinder on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:51 am

No, that won't work. Everything you put in the update queue will appear as a single block, in order - and in the case of your example, above the navigation stuff.
Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mercury Hat on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:03 am

What? That's what he's asking. With the comic labeled a and the txt file labeled b, it'd show up as

Comic
navigation
blog

Though maybe I'm misunderstanding what you or he are saying :-?.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Avatar007 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 am

Mercury Hat wrote:What? That's what he's asking. With the comic labeled a and the txt file labeled b, it'd show up as

Comic
navigation
blog

Though maybe I'm misunderstanding what you or he are saying :-?.
Thanks for the reply! And, yep, that's what I'm saying. I asked mostly because I've heard that when you use, say, the ***include filename*** statement and the included file has autokeen tags in it then it requires multiple updates to display correctly.

But, if this isn't the case with the .txt file, then happy days for all! (I assume this is because the dated .txt file is copied over to the proper folder before the index file is interpreted? Whereas, with the "include" statement, the files are copied over after it's interpreted (because the automator wouldn't know to copy the file otherwise)?)
<a href="http://coldfeet.comicgenesis.com/">Image</a>
Regular Poster

Return to Gear