New host and domain pending.

An action/comedy comic with an ongoing storyline and a very fitting name.

New host and domain pending.

Postby Derenge on Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:05 pm

I wasn't kidding when I said that I'd be moving pointless someplace new. Sometime this week there will be a new site and a new url, though I won't have it finished for quite a bit. I'm rather excited about this though, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Postby Jkior on Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:43 pm

Very cool. Good luck on the move!

On a slightly morbid note, that's one less out of the few (three maybe) good comics currently hosted on keenspace. . .not a bad thing, though - I think a lot of people disregard comics hosted on kspace just because of their host, so you'll probably see some improved traffic. . .I don't honestly know what I'm talking about here. :D

Also wanted to say that panel 3 in the last update is *exactly* why I keep coming back here. It's just awesome!
Jkior

Postby Derenge on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:20 pm

http://www.pointlesscomic.com is up and working, more or less. I won't fully move over to it until I get a few more things finished. A new gallery system for one, and also an updated/reworked links page. I also want to work some more php features in there while I have the time to do all the troubleshooting work that I will have to. It's shaping up fairly well, best as I can tell. Maybe a new forum again, as much as I hate to keep redoing the damn things.

Dang, I was worried that a three panel update would make people think I was slacking off. I don't know if I have exactly conveyed the scale of what they are seeing yet though, I'll have to establish it more in the near future.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Postby Lelldorin on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:29 pm

Smeet, I can't wait for the new site to be finished.

Out of curiosity, what program are you using for your archiving system? did you write one yourself, or what?
Lelldorin

Postby Derenge on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:01 pm

Actually it's the one that the http://www.snafu-comics.com guy uses on his sites best as I can tell. He has it up for download at http://www.snafu-comics.com/php.php . I've found it very easy to use and to install thusfar, and rather like it. The format of the filenames isn't all that different from the ones keenspace used so it was easy to change them to work with the system. I'm not sure what sort of license he has going on it, but truth be told it isn't a very complicated setup. With the programing experience I have I would say that I could learn to write something similar fairly quickly, but why bother when it's out there for free?

The site is just about finished though, there is one or two more things I plan on doing before it is ready for the switchover. I'm really happy with how the gallery system has turned out, I'll likely also set up a blog and a new forum before I call it quits.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Postby Lelldorin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:01 am

Ohhhh. Yet another webcomic update script I'd not heard of.

Why bother, indeed? That is, after all, the spirit of the internet - why do something when someone else's already done it, and probably with more functionality and ease-of-use than you'd've coded it with?

Because I'm too lazy to download and do a test install - does it have a built-in admin page, or is it all managed using FTP/notepad/etc? and while i'm bombarding you with questions, what sort of backend does it use?
Lelldorin

Postby Derenge on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:00 am

There is a bit of a backend with the news posts, but it's quite simple, just some forms and a password. The comics are uploaded by ftp and I think it may do an auto update thing, but that never comes up because I never have a buffer to speak of. I just dump them into the directory and it takes care of the rest.

http://www.comixpedia.com/modules.php?o ... link&cid=4

has a big list of automation scripts you may be interested in, there are all sorts there, but I went the simple path.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderer on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 am

Um... the site's down. :-?

Or at least, I can't get to it. It's kind of a bad thing to have people come to the old site, see a message sending them to the new site... and have the new site be down. *shrugs*

Don't worry, I'm not blaming you or comdemning you, or what have you. Just trying to warn you. After all, keenspace has been having some problems itself lately.
I am no one who is someone who may yet become anyone so long as he trusts no one.
Wanderer

Postby Derenge on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:59 pm

yeah, the host I'm using has had some minor troubles with getting a bit too big too fast. I've seen it hiccup a few times here and there, but it's working right now and in theory should be up more than keenspace is. We'll see about that.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Postby Strannik on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05 am

Well, 8 days later I'm still getting page not found errors.
Strannik

Postby Derenge on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:14 pm

odd, that's the first I've heard of this. I'm not sure what to say or do, it seems to work fine for most people. I'll look into what the problem could be, but really, it's working, trust me.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Return to Pointless