The Art of Picatrix

A forum for Picatrix readers who wish to discuss the comic

The Art of Picatrix

Postby Piksi on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:51 am

Love the story and art! The anatomy is awesome and I love the shading of the hair and the colour choices... oh and the story is excellent as well! and the eyes! yes, yes the eyes! And the characters as well and the layout... I could go on, but then this post would go on forever!

I made some fanart to show how much I adore your comic. I drew a picture of Winnie (Is it Winnifred or just plain Winnie?) and it didn't turn out looking like her, she ended looking like snow white or something.. I think it might be the eyes? Hector and Azrael are there too. Want to see?

http://www.freewebs.com/heavenlym/picatrix.jpg

Anyways, I also strongly disagree with the fact that comics aren't art (refering to the faq topic: "Do you have any training for this?") It makes me angry.. but I suppose thats just one opinion, some art schools even teach comics as part of their learning. I hope to go to one of their schools after I'm done with highschool. Sadly there are only a few small schools in my town, and I don't particularly want to go out of the province for school.
Piksi

Postby Picatrix on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 am

Ooooh, that's awesome :D I love their expressions and the shading! Do you mind if I put a copy on my fanart page?

I hope that you find a good school to study at :) I think small schools are good because you get more attention from the teacher. In my drawing classes, there were always at least 30 students, so I didn't get much one-on-one help.

*lol* I didn't write the worst part in my faq... Most of my teachers weren't too bad, but one of them was a total jerk. When I started the class, we had to list any disabilities that could affect our classwork. Well, I have no nerves in my fingers (I was in a car accident in the winter on a really cold night and they didn't find my car for 11 hours because I was on a back road. I managed to freeze my fingers so badly that the nerves were damaged... so now I can't feel anything with my fingers :cry: ) Well, one day, we were given a half hour to draw whatever we wanted, so I drew Winnie (well, an earlier version of her, anyway). When I was about done, my teacher walked by and said something like, 'I suppose I can allow this, since you can't do real art with those fingers of yours'.

Ooooh, did that make me mad... I was already very sensitive about my clumsy fingers, without hearing that! Fortunately, not all of my teachers were so mean! I hope you end up with great teachers who understand the art of comicing :D
Picatrix
Regular Poster

Postby Piksi on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Thanks! sure you can put up a copy. That teacher made me angry when I read it.. lol, that doesn't often happen to me.. Mabie the teacher never heard of manga before or something though?
I only had one experience with an art teacher (that I know of) I was sitting in English class minding my own buisness when the teacher calls my to the side where this angry looking teacher is staring at me.. and I'm thinking I'm in trouble or something. Then I see see has the poster I drew for a play and she started talking about all this stuff like art school and ..er.. artsy stuff. It was strange because people were staring.
Piksi

Postby Picatrix on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:52 pm

*lol* I had stuff like that happen with music, but never with art. Mostly, I just got yelled at for doodling in class... It's really cool that an art teacher singled you out, but after seeing the fanart you sent, I'm not surprised. You have a great sense of space and attention to detail. And you can draw hands... I'm jealous! :D *lol* I'm forcing myself to draw hands more lately....
Picatrix
Regular Poster

Return to Picatrix