Adding a hit counter

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.
Bucket

Adding a hit counter

Post by Bucket »

I'm thinking about seeing to adding a hit counter to my site, but instead of adding one in from a free company I'm thinking of using a script and designing my own w/ sprites of the characters. Is it possible for me to do so using a cgi-bin directory in my webspace? What do people recommend?
Miryokuteki Monogatari - miryomono.keenspace.com

Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phalanx »

Hmmm... you do know that Keenspace comes with webalizer logs, right?

http://www.keenspace.com/members/miryomono/logs/
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Bucket

Post by Bucket »

I did not know that.

I just want to get a web counter, or make one myself, to afford my viewers the pleasure of getting a custom kiriban when they hit that special round number.
Miryokuteki Monogatari - miryomono.keenspace.com

Kaourika
Regular Poster

Post by Kaourika »

Yeah, having a counter displayed for the viwers is nice.

Are you absoloutely bent on not using a free counter? ^^; Most of them are junk, but there really are quite a few nice ones out there, if you're open to them, and if you know where to look. I'll be happy to reccommend some. My site, http://joyride.keenspace.com has a running example of my favourite, which I love, but I know of still more nice ones.

I used to use Microsoft's fast counter, another very nice counter, but the last couple of times I looked, they didn't even list the free versh on their website anymore! :o Dunno what's up w that.

Anyway... If memory serves, I think I once heard that KS's CGI bins won't run anything. Please don't take my word for it, though.

Gengar003
Cartoon Hero

Post by Gengar003 »

It is possible to write your own counter script, with custom images and all, but I cannot help you with writing one in the cgi-bin.

(If keenspace ran php, though, I could :-p)

Personally, I'd reccomend www.okcounter.com; they're free and I use their counters on my comic and other websites of mine.

They're a korean counter service with lots of anime-styled counters (and just about anything else you could imagine) and the ability for users to create their own counters that will be uploaded and used by OKcounter. Lateley they've had a little trouble with their fonts, at least on the counters I used.

They track hits for today, (some do hits for yesterday, too) and total hits (some just do total hits; depends on which counter "skin" you pick), and offer hits per day for the past week. If you want anything more detailed, you have to pay (which I don't reccomend).

Anyway, I think you should consider them; you'll probably find something you like, if not something with you comic's characters on it.

On that note... You, hypothetically, could find a counter image and place another image with one of your characters to the side, above, or below, with the image designed to look as if it were part of the counter... you just can't have them *behind* the numbers.

Hope that helps. :-p
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

Uncaringmachine
Regular Poster

Post by Uncaringmachine »

why can't I get into the webalizer logs? I put in my password and name and it doesn't work. What password is it looking for?

Gengar003
Cartoon Hero

Post by Gengar003 »

The ones you provided when you registered should do it. What does it say when you put them in?
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

Uncaringmachine
Regular Poster

Post by Uncaringmachine »

Nothing to see here, move along, please update your bookmarks and link pages. Go back to Keenspace

That's what it said today. Weird huh?

Lemonbar77

Post by Lemonbar77 »

I'm getting the same page when I put my username and password in...can anyone help?

Psyanide

Post by Psyanide »

I dunno, from what i can hash out of the badly translated info of Okcounter, i'd rather not have to sign up for a questionable third party medical coupon site.

Plus I'm really not sure what to make of the account description:
1. Must join one of present sites every 6 month.

2. Include AD banner and popup page in statistics screen.

3. No offer montly statistics.

4. If you conceal counter image then your account be deleted.

5. Compare visitor under 0.1% counter click rate shall sanction
against use counter.

6. If you not use counter for 1 month over,
then your account is automatically deleted.

7. Can't edit okcounter's insert code.
If found, account will be deleted.

8. Can be changed to paid member.

One word: Moo?
Obey the Frump!

Go visit <a href="http://psyanide.comicgenesis.com">Kamikaze</a>, cause you aint got nothin better to do.

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease

Psyanide

Popsicleman
Regular Poster

Post by Popsicleman »

Uncaringmachine wrote:Nothing to see here, move along, please update your bookmarks and link pages. Go back to Keenspace

That's what it said today. Weird huh?
Okay, there's a weird trick to getting to the Webalizer logs. Actually, 2 tricks.

1) Explorer won't work. Apparently it doesn't support the webalizer. Try something like Mozilla.

2) When you get to that "Nothing to see here" page, look at the url at the top of the window. It should say something like "http://members.keenspace.com/INSERTYOUR ... HERE/logs/"
Remove "insertyoursitenamehere" and replace it with your site name.

A new window will come up, asking again for your username and password, and that should take you through to the logs.

Hope that helps!
Behold the power of freeze...

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

you can also go to http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com and see your stats there. you have to be logged into the forum though before you go there.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

Popsicleman
Regular Poster

Post by Popsicleman »

Speaking of webalizer logs, I'm not quite totally savvy on how to read them. What's the difference between "sites" and "visits," for example?
Behold the power of freeze...

Sanood
Regular Poster

Same problem

Post by Sanood »

I have much the same question. Is there a site that has a list of what each of the counts means?
-------
"Euler went blind in one eye proving this theorem, what have you done for mathematics?" --Smith
<a href="http://oddends.comicgen.com">O&E</a>

Jin-roh
Regular Poster

Guestbooks?

Post by Jin-roh »

Does Comicgenesis provide some kind of Guestbook I can use for my site? I'd really rather not use something from angelfire or some garbage like that.

Risky

Post by Risky »

Click here: Request a New Forum

And you can request a forum. You will be the mod and will get your forum taken away if you don't keep it under control. Your request is subject to the following:
kelly wrote:If you want a forum, you must:

* Post using the account name you want to use for moderation of that forum.
* Post with the URL of the web comic, and a short description of the forum itself, not the comic!
* If you have others for moderating you want, post their forum usernames too.

The forum admins will create the forum, reply, and lock each thread as they are done. This is for us to track which ones are done or not.

NO UNMODERATED FORUMS!