Follow-Up

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Follow-Up

Post by Driving Without Pants »

A few months back (as I announced in this thread) I tried out to be the editorial cartoonist for The State News at Michigan State University. And...

...I made it! What's more, they said I blew the competition away. I'm ecstatic. Thanks for the kind words a few months ago.

I'll be starting in mid-May, doing 3 panels a week, which will be bumped up to 5 in the fall. I get paid $25 for each panel. Hopefully this won't affect my Sidwood schedule; I'll probably end up doing it weekly or something, which is better than my current average anyway.

In summation: wooo!!!
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Post by Cope »

Wooo indeed!
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Woot!


(what is woot?)
Image

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

WOO HOO!

(woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

Smight wrote: (woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)
Actually, Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "woot".

"woot" was originally an expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
And stuff. Yeah.


Anyway, DWP, congrats!
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

it'd be so cool to get $ for drawing comics =O
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: noitacoL

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

Kirb wrote:
Smight wrote: (woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)
Actually, Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "woot".

"woot" was originally an expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
And stuff. Yeah.
...










W00t!
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

User avatar
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
Location: The Big Apple
Contact:

Post by Isukiyomi »

Congratulations!
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

Woot is also an Eternal Sweeper.

Nice going, DWP :)
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Congrats! You're getting paid to be funny!
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Congrats!



I was my college's editorial cartoonist once upon a time. I got the job because I wandered into the newspaper office..
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Cool...

...I did a few comics for my University newspaper myself.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

Congrats to ya! Now update your comi-oh wait you did.


I always thought woot was "We owned the other team". This is why I never use these abbreviations... To much backstory to these words. I just want to frag someone, not give them a history lesson.
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
Humbug
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Not here.
Contact:

Post by Humbug »

Isukiyomi wrote:Congratulations!

User avatar
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
Contact:

Post by Prettydragoon »

W00t! Gratz! Well done!
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Congratulations!

And Kirb, thanks, I was wondering that myself.

I have a comic and illustrations in college papers as well. Last one about a student who studied for exam, then aliens came and sucked all knowledge out of his head. They need it to fix their ship.

User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.
Contact:

Post by Nanda »

Paid?? That's awesome! Congratulations!
Image Image

User avatar
Rianeva
Regular Poster
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:31 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Rianeva »

Congratulations! :D

User avatar
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
Contact:

Post by Corgan_dane »

Nanda wrote:Paid?? That's awesome! Congratulations!
Off topic, but Nanda, dear, your signature rocks.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Humbug wrote:
Isukiyomi wrote:Congratulations!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Post Reply