One Piece to rule them all.

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

Postby JexKerome on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:35 am

wp wrote:Keffria: I've found out some crappy stuff Viz has done with Naruto.

Kage Bunshin no Jutsu becomes Art of the Doppleganger. Why can't they just say "Technique: Shadow Clone" like it's supposed to be? Byakugan (literally "white eyes") becomes "evil eye" even though "eye of sight" is a more accurate representation of what it actually does. Gaton: Goukyaku
no Jutsu (I think it means Technique: Great Fireball or Dragon Breath, I forget) becomes "blaze of glory."

Geez, who decides on these horrible localizations? Do they think it sounds cooler?

I've noticed that too. In Shonen Jump, they changed Roronoa Zoro to Roronoa Zolo, so it matches the anime version (which sucks, to keep flaying a dead horse), and then I just picked one of the newer Ranma books, and the Shiryu Shouten Ha, which was at first translated as "Heaven Blast of the Dragon" is now "Heavenly Dragon Acension Wave", and the Happo-Daikarin, which was at first the "Happo-fire Burst" is now the "Ring of Fire". Changing techniques' names around like that is so NOT cool, even if the latter names are closer to the original meaning. They have some wrong people doing the wrong things in the wrong department, if you ask me.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chibiartstudios on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:46 am

Dont like the OP!?

To you sir I say PTTTTTTT :P

That asside, Viz... yeah...

They are... Interesting...

On the one hand they have done some things well. On the other hand they have a few quirks that realy get on my nerves. First, as you said, they change names and such when they don't have to.

Second they have one of the worst delivery departments I have EVER seen. I work at a bookstore and with all other publishers I can expect a special order to arive withing 2-3 weeks.

Not with Viz. NO! They can take 2-3 MONTHS on average. And that's if they don't just cancel your order all together. Some times several times.

Then there are their deliveries. Often times late and when my friend was getting the Shonnen Junp the magazines where late AND out of order. Complete incompetence. Very unprofesional.

If they didn't get every manga I like I'd just not buy from them. But I get to read manga for free at work durring my lunch break. So it's not like I loose cash over it ^_^.

Dark horse though. They rock. Read Berserk people!
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:08 am

You work in a bookstore and read free manga?

*Starts to put chibiartstudios in the Black List, ponder upon the point of said list since he's leaving the forums, puts him down anyway*

By the way, is IVstudios anything of yours? I see almost the same name, and then there's the physical resemblance...
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:51 am

We're two different people... at least I think we are....
<_<
>_>

This is what I get for watching "Fight Club."

(No seriously we're not the same person)

On another note: The only Anime I've seen where I've also read the manga are Trigun and Hellsing. (I may have said this before in another thread, I don't remember.) Both cases I saw the Anime first. And with Trigun, I'm glad I did because without it the Manga is almost incomprehensible. So in that case the Anime was actually better (IMHO).
The Hellsing Anime also rox sox, but in that case the manga is WAY cooler.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to KeenIME