How did you come up with your anime style?

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:34 pm

I love Megas too! its funny as hell. I keep thinking "its like webcomic on the tv!"
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:17 pm

I'm currently watching the episode where they mock Sailor Moon.

"We'll take care of this chubby thief!"
"Chubby? Ladies, this is "fat""
"Eeeww"
Take that you annoying little Psychos.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Soap Soaperson on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:25 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm...This is going to be the lamest list of influences EVER.

*DBZ -- Sorta kinda. Art-wise anyway, because I admire the way he doesn't make tall and sleek girls everywhere. They all look short and buff. I don't want buff girls unless the character calls for it, but I like the proportions.

*Sailor Moon -- >____> THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE ABOVE!

*Ayashi no Ceres -- Yu Watase's art in it is pretty different from Fushigi Yuugi (she definitely evolved as an artist after F.Y). I also liked her characterization skills in it, though the sap sometimes got to me. Sometimes.

*Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson -- I doubt this style is ever at all visible, except for dorky things like my Livejournal icon.

I enjoy his work to death.

My current style is the above mixed with me trying to pull the heck awaaaay from anime (or at least, the somewhat generic styles of it that I use). Not that I dislike anime now, I just need both variety and originality -- I don't like being a copycat. Maybe I can still find that style in anime-territory, or maybe not. TIME SHALL TELL!

wp wrote:I don't know if I'll ever reach Soap, War, or Keffria's level. I'm one of those people who, if I don't draw constantly, I regress and have to work my way back up. And with my life, there's always a random one week gap where I don't get a chance to draw anything.

Wp, you handle the anime style very well. I don't know how often you draw, or much you've improved -- but you're totally made of the right stuff for it. Keep gooooing!
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:19 pm

Heh, thanks for your vote of confidence. We shall see what happens.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:21 pm

I think I origianlly drew inspiration from Clamp's RG Veda as far as anime goes. It doesn't show much in the early strips. In fact, it's hard to see much anime influence at all, but it was there. As time went by, the strip got more and more detailed (except the backgrounds...heh), and the style became more and more evident. It still remains a hybrid, but it's becom a style I really like.

So I guess it mostly evolved on its own out of a few observations of several other styles. It just grew the more I drew it.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Bass Master Fei on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:56 pm

You guys like Megas? Huh. Not sure how I feel about shows like that, but I do know I detest that vile Totally Spies thing that, apparently, is still airing.

Uh... I guess my style started out with Calvin and Hobbes, then I got into anime around the time the original Dragonball series started airing. Since then, I seem to have absorbed random bits of various things: Fullmetal Alchemist, most recently, and even CLAMP for a little while.

Mostly, it's been driven by the need to be pretty without getting too delicate and shoujo-like. Shounen all the way! *flails arms exaggeratedly* Plus, I've gotten really picky about drawing styles lately...

I hear you, Soap Soaperson, but...I think you can probably be original and be anime. That, or I'm screwed.
Bass Master Fei
Regular Poster

Postby Soap Soaperson on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 pm

Bass Master Fei wrote:I hear you, Soap Soaperson, but...I think you can probably be original and be anime. That, or I'm screwed.

You most certainly can! I just haven't found my way to that point yet. Good luck to you with it!
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:36 pm

I'm not sure if this is true, but it looks like Van has an anime influence with original style.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 pm

He does have an elf that claims to be a bishounen... :P

But yes, I can kind of see it in the eyes.
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Ruxen on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:21 am

I watched Sailor Moon, thought it was pretty and sparkly at the time then started out copying the style from that. Then I saw various anime artists that I admired Julie Dillon, Adele Sesslar, Min Rho (not so much anime anymore) and got into the habit of studying some of their tricks, then I went to art school and got figure drawing shoved down my throat and here I am now with who knows what.
:cry:
Ruxen
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:28 am

Who cares what it is?! it rocks!
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to KeenIME