Superhero webcomics

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Superhero webcomics

Post by Dburkhead »

Since my own "Cold Servings" is a take on the superhero meme, I was wondering what other superhero webcomics are out out there. I've seen some parodies but haven't found any "serious" superhero themed comics.

Any out there?
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

I've always thought the term serious superhero comic as a bit of an oxymoron, but here are a few superhero webcomics that I do know of.

Mind Mistress
point Gaurdian
Magellan
The Japanese Beetle
Skirting Danger

User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by Dburkhead »

"Serious" as opposed to parody comics such as Supermegatopia.

And I'm trying to figure out how I blanked on Skirting Danger considering it's on my links list and one of the comics I follow regularly.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

A lot of comics on Graphic Smash might be considered superhero, one way or another.

But if there's a lack of serious superheroes, that's very understandable. Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
I like the idea of "Superosity" being considered superhero comic.Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

I dunno super hero is really a broad playing field these days. As there are plenty of "super hero" comics that arn't about super powers or heroics. I concider a lot of stuff in that vein like alias and tomb raider and junk like that as Dynamic comics, or action/adventure.

I'm working on a possible second comic that could be concidered "super hero" but its not super power related or about heroics. but really its up to the individual reader as they see fit.

most people will assume most american comics are "super hero" comics... in print, when there are many put out by marvel, dc and image that arn't really in that sort of paradigm.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

serious superhero comic as a bit of an oxymoron
somebody hasn't been reading their Watchmen, Authority (first run), storm watch (ellis run), etc...

that's an odd concept though, a super hero web comic...
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious
Image

User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by Dburkhead »

mcDuffies wrote: Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
That's an interesting viewpoint. However, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of comics read in the US, by readership, are not superhero comics. After all, most newspapers have a comics page or two and major dailies have larger circulations than all the comic companies combined. Then there are the collected prints of these newspaper strips. How does for example the sales of "Garfield at Large" compare, with those of Spider Man?

The real problem, IMO, with superhero comics is not the "glut" but that they tend to be very much in a similar mold. Everybody's followed the explored trail and not much running off the beaten path.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

I write a superhero comic, but it's neither serious nor online. It's about a character named Fatman. I publish it in my school paper.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

I like Death's Head and Death's Head II, and not because Dr. Who was in Death's Head
Image

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Jeffy_Weffy wrote:I like Death's Head and Death's Head II, and not because Dr. Who was in Death's Head
Image

- Doctor Who Magazine #135
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

Jeffy_Weffy wrote:Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious
Slapstick was awesome. They should do an updated Slapstick, cours knowing Marvel that'll never happen. they always bring back the worst characters no one cares about. or bring them back all sucky.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

phactorri wrote:
Jeffy_Weffy wrote:Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious
Slapstick was awesome. They should do an updated Slapstick, cours knowing Marvel that'll never happen. they always bring back the worst characters no one cares about. or bring them back all sucky.
I loved Slapstick. Still have the first comic....
BTW, I do a serious superhero webcomic....as mentioned before, the aforementioned Mindmistress. With a secret identity unlike any used in comics before.
The nice thing about webcomics though, is that there I'm a refreshing novelty, not the bread and butter for the comics stores.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yew Nork
Contact:

Post by Psiogen »

dburkhead wrote:
mcDuffies wrote: Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
That's an interesting viewpoint. However, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of comics read in the US, by readership, are not superhero comics. After all, most newspapers have a comics page or two and major dailies have larger circulations than all the comic companies combined. Then there are the collected prints of these newspaper strips. How does for example the sales of "Garfield at Large" compare, with those of Spider Man?
That's true, but Garfield occupies an entirely different cultural niche from the comic book industry. I don't think Garfield and Spider-man are even in competition with each other in any real sense. I doubt most Garfield readers consider themselves "comic book fans". (I also doubt most Garfield readers are sentient lifeforms, but that's another discussion.)

So the underwear-on-the-outside brigade may not affect the popular perception of what a newspaper comic is, but they've certainly affected the popular perception of what a comic book is.

Anyhoo, my favorite superhero comic on the web is <a href="http://killroyandtina.com">Killroy and Tina</a>. It's a comedy, but I wouldn't call it a parody.
Sylvan, fadin motherfuckers like bleach.
Image Image
Last edited by Sailor Moon on Fri Bec 55th, 9239 56:82 pm; edited 229425 times in total.

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

man, i'm just gettin' quoted all over the place
Image

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

There's Antihero-for-Hire, over on Keenspot . . . it's half-serious, at least. If it's still there at all. Haven't checked back on it for a while.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

I read that one. It's still going. It's serious, and yet sarcastic and parody-esque at the same time. I'm not sure what category to put it in, frankly, and that's probably a good thing.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

I plan on doing a super heroish kinda comic. No underware on the outside though. >_>
It'll be serious but it won't be without humor. The thing I loved about the Spider-man comics was spidy way a freakin' wise ass all the time. The thing I hated about the movies was he wasn't.
Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

Evil Jamie! wrote:The thing I loved about the Spider-man comics was spidy way a freakin' wise ass all the time. The thing I hated about the movies was he wasn't.
Glad to hear somebody else noticed.

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

See my comic is only super... it's not heroic at all, but hey that's why I put super twice in my title!
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

Post Reply