The O.C.

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

The O.C.

Post by Tarotreader3 »

I feel like I need to join some support group for twenty something males...

I saw the first episode way back when, and decided I hated the show (not realizing teh comic refferences to come), I then witnissed the art of one of the characters, and was hooked. I have since tracked down all the episodes and find the show charming with its comic refferences, and this upsets me.

do I need help. is it alright to like this show? I 'm thinking no. =)
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I hate that show. You should be ashamed for liking it. Go sit in the box.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Down here Channel Ten is the mob that keep giving us this sort of crap. It's just another piece of American teeny-bopper soap shit they try to shovel into us because they are cheaper to get than to produce some home-grown drama stuff. Although to be fair a lot of our local telly drama has been pretty ordinary lately.

You can lump O.C. in with other pieces of American crap such as 90210, Melrose Place, Class of 96 and Dawson's Creek.

I mean, c'mon! They named an entire suburb or city after one whiny teenager? I am firmly of the belief that American TV is only capable of making three genres. Bad teeny-bopper dramas, bad science fiction soap operas (Stargate, I'm look at you and not even going to register the Star Trek crud), and endless series of Crime Show spin offs.

I'm resorting to BBC documentaries lately...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

It's, quite frankly, a prime-time version of a midday soap opera. Other than that, nothing worth noting.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

The OC? I don't get that show. Then again, I don't get the Orange County mentality either.

Although, Mischa Barton is cute.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

Driving Without Pants wrote:I hate that show. You should be ashamed for liking it. Go sit in the box.
Either everyone else is forgetting to capitalize The Box, or There's a cheap generic box out there that you all are throwing people in.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

I think my Californian roommate phrased it best: "Orange County is like the aristocrats of Victorian England. They have a lot of money and very little to do, so of course they're going to have sex."

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Get help fast, tarotreader3.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

From our perspective way over here (16 hours plus ahead of you lot cos we are fast) the Orange County (I have this thing against intiallising everything in the world) is basically just another poor little rich kid drama.

Mind you, I haven't watched it, cos I am clinging to the belief I have a life although I think I'm living three or four at the moment, but from what I've picked up here, my view is shared.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Numina
Regular Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Post by Numina »

Dutch! wrote: I am firmly of the belief that American TV is only capable of making three genres. Bad teeny-bopper dramas, bad science fiction soap operas (Stargate, I'm look at you and not even going to register the Star Trek crud), and endless series of Crime Show spin offs.
You forgot reality shows.

User avatar
Forevergrey
Regular Poster
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:15 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Forevergrey »

But I like stargate :(

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

I dunno, I guess I'll try to defend it... It is a lame soap, but some of the characters are really well written, and their story arcs are intense at times, having rising action, climax, and a wee bit of falling action. The back and forth banter is good. if you can get your head past the fact it's a soap there's a lot any writer, or scriper could gain from it. It's something you have to watch entire story lines of at once to appreicate...

it has it's problems, such as the fact that everyone on it is an alcohoilic, and there's an insane amount of drinking and driving that goes unmentioned, but there's some very smartly planned stories, and writing. And for anyone interested in learning a thing or two about their own comic story lines (i mean, apparently it's the number one show out there, so this is what people want to see, and would want to read if you want to bring in a big crowd).

There's also a lot from a sociological point of view, but I'll leave my cultural studies major hat off right now.
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

/hated the show for a year and a half before giving it a shot... same with buffy... bah, foolish mistakes.

//still feels guilty for liking it.
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

Forevergrey wrote:But I like stargate :(
Unclean! Unclean!

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

I've lived in SoCal for my entire life (going on 23 years) and have never heard people call Orange County "The OC" until that lame show. My friends from Orange County never even called it that.

My friends from Orange County also complain about how Chino is always depicted as "the wrong side of the tracks" on that show, when such a thing doesn't exactly exist down there.

Quite honestly I wondered what this show was going to be about. Orange County is not exactly the most exciting place in the world. There's a bunch of shopping malls and fast food places... and Disneyland, but not much else. I knew there'd be sex of course- no teen drama tv series is w/o that.
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Orange County is hardly the richest area in CA. Those in SoCal mostly know "Rancho Santa Fe" as being them most wealthy and stodgy area.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

The Neko wrote:Orange County is hardly the richest area in CA. Those in SoCal mostly know "Rancho Santa Fe" as being them most wealthy and stodgy area.
Oh yeah. I had a friend who lived in that area. Thankfully, their numbers in SoCal are small, to say in the least.

And for The OC, it's a primetime soap for teens. Bleh.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

i dont think the merits of the show are impacted by teh location. I don't think they're trying to realistically portray orange coutny, as much as they are showing what peoples "ideas" of california is. it's just a setting, as fictional as the characters. mmm but it's good.

/still upset abot liking it
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

I have a number of friends who like that show.

Of course, they're all hormonal teenaged girls who only watch it cause most of the guys in it are hot.

Draw your own conclusions about tarotreader3 from that. :)
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

tarotreader3 wrote:apparently it's the number one show out there, so this is what people want to see, and would want to read if you want to bring in a big crowd).
Nah. I reckon it's just everybody's watching it because they haven't found anything good to replace it. Which I think's probably even sadder...

Down here instead of alcoholic kids and sex the relative storylines would generally involve finding a way to get enough money to buy your own Torana or Datsun. Completely different culture, eh?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

Locked