a question with fist shaking

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

mcDuffies wrote:I don't hate angst itself... but I hate the fact that it's trendy. And when it's trendy - you know, you have people who are being angsty for no reason whatsoever, and all over. I mean, you have Pink singing angsty songs and all...
LAGtheNoggin wrote:And, uh, yeah, what mcDuffies said: Angst (in whatever language) can be good; Trendy is often bad.
I agree with the above statements. Angst can be compelling if it is treated correctly and written well.
Image

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

*shakes fist eroticly*
ImageImage

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

*becomes enchanted with the erotic fist*
Image

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I am literally filled with angst, but I hate expressing it to other people and seeing it expressed by other people. It's annoying.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

Driving Without Pants wrote:I am literally filled with angst, but I hate expressing it to other people and seeing it expressed by other people. It's annoying.
I hear that!!

*subdued fist shaking while everyone's back is turned*
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Instead, I channel my angst into acceptable forms, such as sarcasm. An example of an unacceptable form would be shitty emo poetry.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

Ha-HA!

Post by VileTerror »

* shakes stinkywigfiddle *
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Driving Without Pants wrote:Instead, I channel my angst into acceptable forms, such as sarcasm. An example of an unacceptable form would be shitty emo poetry.
What about goth poetry? That's pretty "fun" too.
Image

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Goth poetry is equally shitty. In fact, most people's attempts at poetry of any style are nothing more than hackneyed hodge-podges of clich
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

Angst can be used well, but rarely ever is. Most people who use it poorly try to use it as a substitute for a plot. And what McDuffies said.

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

Driving Without Pants wrote:By the way, when you say "goth poetry" do you mean actual poetry from the Gothic era of English literature? Or verses written by people who strive to look like characters from Tim Burton movies?
Hey! Goth chicks are hot! Or at least, the ones that aren't bulimic. Or overweight. Or have crappy tattoos. Or...

Ah, forget it. I got over my goth-chick-infatuation phase years ago.

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

I love turning angst into jaded sarcasm. Or blunt trauma. 8)
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

*Looks up angst in the dictionary*

*fails*
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

Ian Moulding wrote:
Driving Without Pants wrote:By the way, when you say "goth poetry" do you mean actual poetry from the Gothic era of English literature? Or verses written by people who strive to look like characters from Tim Burton movies?
Hey! Goth chicks are hot! Or at least, the ones that aren't bulimic. Or overweight. Or have crappy tattoos. Or...

Ah, forget it. I got over my goth-chick-infatuation phase years ago.
Yeah I dont think you are! That is unless you were beaten down by a bulimic Goth chick with bad tatts, and then her unhealthy goth friend smacked the taste out of your mouth.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

"Goth" = conforming to a prefab personality because you don't have one of your own.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

(
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

[quote="cjburgandy"](

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

I'm filled with hate, bitterness, anger, and meatloaf.
But angst? Not a chance.

Angst, by definition, is basicly anxiety, fear, and dread.
Image

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

I'm full of angst, piss, and vinegar.

I used to only be full of vinegar.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

I'm full of tacos....and a love for women that cannot be contained!

Post Reply