HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

L33t. And long, meandering "quest" comics that never, in 50+ pages, ever manage to do anything or go anywhere.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

I hate comics with big archives who only have the ***big_calendar*** page...


wait for it...


And the visited link colour is THE SAME as the unvisited link colour so you can never find where you left off.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

things I hate most in webcomics? I'd have to say the "seen this before" it appears that people like to just replicate, instead of create for the most part. whether its print, cartoons, or other webcomics. I hate to read the same thing over and over again. Its annoying.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

No one mentioned sprite comics?

Are you sure this is a webcomic community I'm talking to here? :-?
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

I figured that one was a given... And there are some good sprite comics out there. It's just the really bad sprite comics that make it so unbearable. And then you have pixel comics. Where the line is I don't know anymore. :-?
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I'd say the difference between a sprite comic and a pixel comic is that the pixel comics are 100% original images, whereas the sprite comics use sprites ripped directly from video games and posed/modified. The fact that they're pixelated is the only real similarity.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Jeffy_Weffy wrote:angst
:cry:


What do I hate the most? Wacky college roommates, third grade humor, and gaming comic. You heard me, gaming. :evil:
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

Ones where everyone's got a weapon but noone dies.

Chibi...
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I hate it when a panel will have two characters talking to each other, and the first line of dialogue is on the RIGHT and the second line is on the LEFT.

English reads left to right, assholes! ARGH!
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
BERSERKERCREW
Regular Poster
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:32 pm
Location: heck
Contact:

Post by BERSERKERCREW »

comics with excessive violence sicken me.

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by BeefotronX »

Comics that claim to be daily but frequently fall behind for a day or two before catching up irritate me.

...What?

I also hate comics that appear to have a good story and art but never update.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Sprite, college, cut and paste, superhero, gaming, RPGing comics.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Using Old English words to get me interested in forum threads...you heard me, McDuff!

Er...otherwise...I don't think I read enough of them to comment...

And as for that unwarranted attack on third grade humour...hang on...my characters are in grade five...oh. That's okay then...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
Contact:

Post by Corgan_dane »

I hate comics with great art and writing, where the artists just quit, or are on hiatus for five months at a time.
Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

They all seem too easy to classify. Like, webcartoonists think of the specific nerd they're trying to reach and do a comic about it.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

I don't know... I think the webtoonist is that kind of nerd and that's the problem. It all is so one dimentional because they usually find something they like and bastardize it by cutting out everything they don't like without adding anything new. Enter the Megaman Sprite comic and the manga where everyone turns chibi randomly and in general overreacts to everything.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Post by Cope »

I hate webcomics that suck.

Er...wait, no...I love webcomics that suck! I just have an affectionate attitude towards kitsch, I think...

Um, what was the question again...?
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
KeenCrow
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:21 am
Location: A field.

Post by KeenCrow »

I generally dislike webcomics that are full of pointless violence and profanity. I'm not saying those things are bad, I just don't like it when they are completely and utterly pointless. Also, I don't like comics that whore for hits/money/links. Very annoying. Very, very annoying.

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

two words: Wackiness ensues.
Image
Image

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

I greatly dislike a whole bunch of things...

1. Stickmen
2. Too much being political, too little being funny
3. Every second comic is not a comic, but instead an homage or awareness day or remembering something that happened on that day at some point in history
4. Bashing America all the time in ways that aren't even creative
5. Humor that isn't funny, i.e. characters that say "this is a fork" and that's it
6. Storylines that begin and then the author gets tired of them and finishes them off in obviously improvised and unplanned ways
7. Bad art so the artist has to put in comments explaining what things are supposed to be
8. Pointless random use of exotic languages
9. "Oh, boo hoo, everyone feel sorry for me!" comics
10. The artist goes on a random one-week hiatus and starts posting crude pencil drawings that are several years old
11. The artist keeps telling the readers that they're a) stupid, b) non-existent, and c) not donating enough
12. Obscure, hidden references. God dammit I hate hidden references!!

But most of all I hate when they make extremely predictable jokes "at their own expense" that aren't even funny. And pass it off as "self irony" or some crap like that. Damn waste of precious bytes.
Image

Post Reply