They are staring at us...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

They are staring at us...

Post by Spriteville, USA »

At the time of this post there are about 250 unregistered users browsing the forum... why are so many people watching us without getting involved. IT'S LIKE WE'RE SOME DAMN FREAK SHOW!

Who are they? and where do they come from?

User avatar
KeenCrow
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:21 am
Location: A field.

Post by KeenCrow »

I was one of those, actually, until a few days ago. I was basically trying to get a feel for Keenspace before I joined up. Most of the message boards I have tried to jump in on have been pretty stand-off-ish and centered around a small clique. I figured out these weren't like that, and I jumped in, and here I am. Now I just have to figure out what to make my comic about, and register for it. Actually, I'm a little embarassed I don't have a comic yet, but I had to go ahead and join. I thought maybe it would give me some good ideas.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

Still kinda creepy... but at least one of the masses finally shows themselves.

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

The forums are bottomless wells of inspiration. BOTTOMLESS I SAY!! I can only hope that the people who are lurking are doing so so they can learn more about comics wihtout asking newbish questions that were answered in the faq or the gear. I almost asked questions like that but I lurked around a bit and learned a great deal just by observing for a while and reading damn near everything in the help forum. For those few out there who are doing this as well, I thank you.
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Weird, lots of guests can typically be accounted for by linkage or webcrawling bots.
I've never seen that number of guests attributable to bots so I guess someone fairly big musta linked an interesting thread somewhere in the forums.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

Huh... You must be right War. I mean hell we broke the "Most users on at one time" record today too. 362 users on at once earlier today. I wish I knew if someone/who linked us.

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

I usually browse these forums without logging in. That's because I leave on my computer all day with sites I usually frequent, and it'd look weird if I were on the forums 24/7.

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

wp wrote:and it'd look weird if I were on the forums 24/7.
That's never stopped anyone before. There's lots of people on chat who login, but aren't there most of the time.

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

KeenCrow wrote:I was one of those, actually, until a few days ago. I was basically trying to get a feel for Keenspace before I joined up. Most of the message boards I have tried to jump in on have been pretty stand-off-ish and centered around a small clique. I figured out these weren't like that, and I jumped in, and here I am. Now I just have to figure out what to make my comic about, and register for it. Actually, I'm a little embarassed I don't have a comic yet, but I had to go ahead and join. I thought maybe it would give me some good ideas.
well, at this point (hopefully will change soon) I only have a comic as a technicallity since I haven't worked on it in a long time, and yet all these people still bow down before my might, therefore, you need not have a comic to be extra crunchy, special good
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

The other possibility is that the forum time screwed up, that's what set the previous record, but the fact that it didn't affect anything else makes me think that the linkage thing is most likely.
Like the time the chibi thread got linked, only by someone bigger this time.

User avatar
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
Contact:

Post by Corgan_dane »

(sets up motion detectors)

We'll catch 'em all!

(Waits with a big net)
Image

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR!!?
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

We need one of these people to sign up for an account just to tell us where they all came from.

Kisai, mallet goddess of Space, demands it :evil: .
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Rhellik
Regular Poster
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Rhellik »

isnt there something like a "referrer log" for keenspace? maybe we could ask kisai to check that out :)
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Hope it doesn't mean Weekend Webbed.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I managed to catch one at the last moment, he managed to say "...outside..." before he suffocated from lack of air.

User avatar
Protectmyballs
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: BGSU
Contact:

Post by Protectmyballs »

I accidentaly shot one in the back of the throat, I was aiming at the legs. I figured we could question it. Oh well.
Image Image Image I am a Shmoe.

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Post by Axonite »

One of them might have been me checking the forums on another computer where I'm not logged on. Can't explain the other 249, though. :)

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

Maybe they'll read this thread and someone will sign up to explain everything to us.
ImageImage

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Most of the lurkers are just girls checking out me and McDuffies.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Post Reply