I do both ^^
I've been writing stories, drawing and painting for... oh, man, I'm old... since Jr high. (I'm halfway through college, now.) I think the drawing/writing combo was all I used to do. I had--and have--no life.
People always told me that my writing is really good, and my drawings are... well.. it really depends on who looks at them
But, I loved drawing, anyway.
The comic I'm working on now started as a story idea that I really wanted to see, instead of imagine as I read along. So, I stepped out on a limb and am using my webcomic to see what I can do with a graphics pad and a lot of patience.
So far, I'm getting the hang of it, but it will take a while before I'm decent, I think. But at least I have faith in my plot. 8) I have to say that it's really strange not being able to write out scenes and nuances... it makes the comic storytelling sort of difficult when you realize you can't set scenes, moods, and characters in the same way.
This year, I'll be writing in NaNoWriMo, and see how far I can push myself before I explode. I think I'll end up writing my comic plot in book form, although I already have it all mapped out.
I guess I'm cheating now.
But really, nothing beats creating a good story, no matter how it's done ^^