Keenspace Haunted House Idea

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

I choose Coyotzin's guide too. As for how scary, it's up to you, though dressing your characters up doesn't sound too scary to begin with. And as for giving blood, it's one of your duties as a citizen of most countries.

If we're going to have the most visited guy host the event, we need to figure out who it is. Since the guide rest at the start of the month, we should judge on the webalizer visits daily average for last month. I got 51, which I believe puts me comfortably in the middle or the lower end, and so safe from more work!
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Post by Coyotzin »

I had another idea for the guide, but that needs a bit of research into reference material, and that is to make it look like a Victorian/Western train usher person, the one that asks for tickets and yells "all aboard" in period movies :) It's not that much a departure of what I already did.

For Sept. I averaged 203 daily visits but I'm seeing a growing trend (yay!) since I got snarked.

Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Post by Pimpette »

Hee hee... I like Coyotzin's. He looks like a very polite ghoul, somehow.
JexKerome wrote: ..we should judge on the webalizer visits daily average for last month..
Where do you find that?

Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Post by Luprand »

Why not find some way of hosting it on Space Jams?

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jim North »

Hey, I was gonna suggest the exact same thing.

Anyway, though I'm going to work to make my contribution (and therefore version of the tour guide) look all scary spooky, it's gonna be humorous, too. I don't see that the two have to be mutally exclusive.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

Last event (summer), the owners of both spacejams and keenevents mysteriously disappeared as we tried to contact them. Then when everything was ready and the event site launched they mysterously reappeared, asking why we hadn't hosted the event in their sites, so I for one am unwilling to contact them again. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.
I also tought that if we're going to host it in one of our sites, we should do it not in the most visited, but rather the least. That way the guy gets the most hits, but people who like our individual works will still click over to our comics. Grace, if you're with us, care to share some webalizer info about the keensummer event?

One the guide, I think Coyotzin's model is good as it is, and no further research is needed. I move to make the final design.

Which brings me to name and logo. We need mores ideas, people!

Finally, I see that we really need the webalizer info on a sticky of its own, as it is obvious few people find it inside the Help FAQs. Not to mention that that way the powers that be could also throw in meatier info on what the numbers really mean.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Post by Coyotzin »

For those who can't find the info, the logs can be accessed as:

http://members.keenspace.com/<NAME OF YOUR COMIC HERE>/logs/

Godoftarot
Regular Poster

Post by Godoftarot »

Well, I just read that over and I think...

...you're all freaking crazy.

I mean, you've got A LOT of good ideas. But you also have A LOT of good ideas. All those details are going to make it more and more complicated to organize and well, Halloween is approaching pretty fast. You might really just be better off doing a simple costume bit, really. Not that I'm downing the idea or anything, it's a good one, it's just gonna be hell trying to make it cohesive.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jim North »

What complicated? All we're doing is drawing our characters like they're in a room of a haunted house (complete with tour guide), then stick 'em all together in an image map. The details - what font to use for the guide, what size each room image should be, etc. - are really all rather minor. As long as everyone gets their drawerings done within the next couple of weeks, everything should be just fine.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

TheLoserHero
Regular Poster
Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Post by TheLoserHero »

I CALL BALLROOM! MINE MINE MINE!

^_^

Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Post by Luprand »

Luprand in the conservatory with the spookiness!

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

I'm going to do a more definitive version of my logo design for your consideration. Anyone know where to get a free , good looking bloody or gory font? the ones in blambot don't quite fit the bill and I'm reluctant to drag my net on the 'Net.

Rhellik
Regular Poster

Post by Rhellik »

Hm maybe I'll do on , too :)
So let me get this stright: We put our own characters in costumes and stick them in a haunted house room and the skull tourguide-guy does what exactly? stand around?

TheLoserHero
Regular Poster
Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Post by TheLoserHero »

JexKerome wrote:Anyone know where to get a free , good looking bloody or gory font?
Doesn't have to be bloody or gory, does it? You can use... grr, I forget what the font is called, but it's the one used when someone writes "Ye Olde Tavyrn" or whatever. Gothic, was it? I am probably horrifically off. I can't go on photoshop to tell you the name, since I'm in my school's computer at the moment. Spooky font should do nicely.

Though if you're asking about sites with downloadable fonts, I'm afraid I don't know of any.

Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Post by Oneeyecat »

http://www.halloweenfonts.com/
I have downloaded fonts form this site before. It has a hugh selection of spooky fonts.

This was the first time I ever heard of Space Jams. Which isn't suprising since I hardly ever visited the forums, til now. Is this site advertised anywhere?

My average for Sept was 41. My average for Oct is 48.

Since there are so many of us, I don't think it would matter much if we had a few repeats of the same room, but just in case I call dibs on the scariest room of all...the haunted Bathroom!

To clear up any confusion... this Halloween event is suppose to be like walking through a haunted house, and each artist's pin-up represents a room in the haunted house. You can have your characters dress up, or react with spooks. It is up to the artist on how they want to deal with the room as long as it is Halloween related. The idea of the guide is to tie this event and the rooms together. I plan on having the guide make a comment about my room, but I guess a person could have him stand and present the room with body language or tell a story about the room as guides do.
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
http://agallery.keenspace.com

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

Spacejams is advertised nowhere beyond the Games forum, since it's kinda an in-joke thing (though anyone who knows the address can see it, of course).

http://spacejams.keenspace.com

I'll contact McDuffies about this, though don't hold your breath.

I'll also check out that fonts site when I have the time. A gothic font would be fine, but since I'm going a la Phactorri and making different versions of the logo, each one with a different name, from the ones suggested here, I also want to play around with the fonts. Jim's 'Keenspooks', for example, would look nice with a nice gothic font (maybe the Addams family movie font), while "Keenspace Horror Picture Show" could use the same font they used in the movie it's ripping off. And so and so forth, blah blah blah yakkety smackety.

BOMC
Cartoon Hero

Post by BOMC »

JexKerome wrote: Grace, if you're with us, care to share some webalizer info about the keensummer event?
I gotta start paying more attention...

anyways, the keensummer event was quite awesome, visits doubled, even tripled on a few days. And the great thing is that most of those people seemed to have stayed, because there hasn't been any big drop in numbers since.

SO, i heartily recommend hosting this thing to anyone. :wink:
-Grace (BOMC)

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

Good for you, Grace. Now you only need to update ;)

BOMC
Cartoon Hero

Post by BOMC »

JexKerome wrote:Good for you, Grace. Now you only need to update ;)
your mom needs to update...
-Grace (BOMC)

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Post by JexKerome »

*Crosses off "Tick off a canadian girl" from his list of things to do before he dies*