6-10-2004

Postby Orion on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:30 am

Stands for Majestic 12. Basically a project/organization/conspiracy thing, with so many theories about it that I have no idea what if any official info exists on it or if its just weird theory (or proof that the government is putting aliens in your water).

EDIT: oh yes, they also cloned the dentons.
Last edited by Orion on Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

MJ-12, come in, are you there MJ-12?

Postby Bushipunk on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:56 am

orion wrote:Stands for Majestic 12. Basically a project/organization/conspiracy thing, with so many theories about it that I have no idea what if any official info exists on it or if its just weird theory (or proof that the government is putting aliens in your water).

Most of those theories (in fact, all the even vaguely coherent ones I've seen) have it related to aliens. It's existance as project of the US Air Force is, quietly, acknowledged; much like Area 51, the Conspiracy part is that it's speculated to have been related to alien (think Grey) contact and tech. There's a good chance it was at least related to various Air Force inquiries into sightings reported by pilots, but no evidence I'm aware of that they found anything very interesting.

What would people on this board recommend as a primer for someone just getting exposed to Conspiracy theory? It seems like a handy list of key organizations and theories would be... Handy, for those new to the field.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Re: MJ-12, come in, are you there MJ-12?

Postby Acolyte on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:33 pm

Bushipunk wrote:What would people on this board recommend as a primer for someone just getting exposed to Conspiracy theory? It seems like a handy list of key organizations and theories would be... Handy, for those new to the field.

This isn't as easy as it sounds. Older conspiracy theories tend to be regarded as gospel by their adherents, who therefore don't generally take the time to explain their assumptions even if they're still cognizant of them themselves. Newer conspiracy theories pop up daily and are impossible to track. Nevertheless, there are places you can start.

If nothing else, you should listen to Coast to Coast AM regularly. Art Bell himself is only there on the weekends now, but regular host George Noory is almost as freaky. There should be sufficient links on that site from the past and current guest list to get you going.

The Illiminati trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson contains valuable background and historical material, and is a good introduction to the conspiracy theorist mindset.

Even better for that last part is because the plot is coherent and the characters sane and sympathetic is Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. You can see here a conspiracy theory concocted from -- well, it would give away the ending to tell you the exact nature of the document they founded the theory on. Eco has amazing insight into how these things develop and grow, and how people buy into them.

One thing any hardcore conspiracy theorist is bound to have these days is a website. Any time you hear an unfamiliar theory, Google's bound to turn something up.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:31 pm

Hrm ... lemme think

Acolyte has already mentioned the Illuminati trilogy; there's also Everyting is Under Control, also by Robert Anton Wilson, which is a nice Encyclopedia style book with all kinds of conspiracy wackiness (including the Church of the Subgenius). :D

A History of Secret Societies by Arkon Daraul (which I understand is a pseudonym) can also be useful. You can probably find it Used fairly easily. It's dated (written back in the 60's), useless as far as serious scholarship goes (no bibliography, and no research evidence or citations given to back up the author's claims), and extremely vague. That said, it's fine for a brief introduction to a number of secret societies, including the Illuminati, Rosicrucians, Templars, and Assassins. It'll give you a rough idea of what they are, though heavily tinted through the lens of the author. Also, for Delta Green fans, you can find a little bit about the real world Skoptsi (Russian Christian sect which was heavily into ritual castration).

For fiction, Dan Brown's books are good: both "Angels and Demons" and the "Da Vinci Code" are worth the price of admission. The first deals with the Illuminati, the second with the Priori de Sion. His next book is supposed to be about the Free-Masons (who, as we know from the bacteria encrusted upon Smithers' face, control the country).

For RPG's, there's Dark Matter (one of the campaign settings from TSR's shortlived Alternity line), Secret Societies for Nephilim (by Kenneth Hite), and, well, actually damn near anything by Kenneth Hite, especially the GURPS Suppressed Transmissions books.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Bushipunk on Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:51 am

Mirober wrote:Hrm ... lemme think

Acolyte has already mentioned the Illuminati trilogy; there's also Everyting is Under Control, also by Robert Anton Wilson, which is a nice Encyclopedia style book with all kinds of conspiracy wackiness (including the Church of the Subgenius). :D

I hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out, sounds like a good source to recommend to my friends when they start looking at me funny... I'm always reluctant to hand them the Illuminatus! Trilogy because it's so thick it can put people off.

Mirober wrote:A History of Secret Societies by Arkon Daraul (which I understand is a pseudonym) can also be useful. You can probably find it Used fairly easily. It's dated (written back in the 60's), useless as far as serious scholarship goes (no bibliography, and no research evidence or citations given to back up the author's claims), and extremely vague. That said, it's fine for a brief introduction to a number of secret societies, including the Illuminati, Rosicrucians, Templars, and Assassins.

Sounds like another good one. Many of my friends have a little background, but I mean a very little (played a few games of Illuminati, listenned to me try to explain American politics). These should be lifesavers for those awkward conversations where people assume I'm just making it all up, instead of just embellishing.

Thanks,

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Regina Felina