Star Wars TV

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Star Wars TV?

Hell Yeah!
12%
Hell No!
47%
I need more data before I can make up my mind
41%

Total votes : 17

Postby [geoduck] on Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:30 am

YarpsDat wrote:
What rocked where the first two or so minutes of episode 1. Up to the point they land on the planet surface.

I think the final lightsabre battle between.. uh.. the Evil Devil Guy.. and the two Jedi was enjoyable. (It helped immensely that they hired an actual stuntman to play the the EDG.) But yeah, most of it was pretty much a wash.

Oh yeah. There was one funny line: "What do you think you are, a Jedi or something?"
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby KittyKatBlack on Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:10 pm

Esoterik wrote:
TOXIC AVENGER! wrote:OMG! Best idea ever! Have Quentin Tarantino direct the next Star Wars movie!

:D

I can just see a big lightsaber battle, but instead of some dramatic music playing, it's "Stuck in the middle with you".

No no... wait... LightKATANA! There you go! :D

Cause as you know, if it's not a katana, it's just not a sword.

</heavy sarcasm>
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:23 pm

Realistic lighting effects? well with CG, the biggest problem is that they try to seperate the Post production effects from the actual filming production. The lighting issues (and its not always the case, just industrial light and magic needs to really get thier crap together or Monolith or SD&R are gonna be moving on up) come from the fact that the continuity work is subpar in relationship to what is needed from the FX houses.

In Mid-production special effects ya know animitronics, makeup, Props, Casting, sound, etc they are right there during the production. ADR, SFX, sync editors, etc are not. they have to rely on photographs, and bad tape rolls, its even rare they get the cans to work off of when they are putting together the work. so in terms of lighting, and the stuff i've done, you arn't even told what gels the lighting have been masked or what the FC (foot Candle sticks) measurement the lighting is brought to.

Thats why I like Traditional effects better..

Though my problem with CG is they use to much key work in movies today. You can't replace Video with rendered atmosphere and try to actively suspend the Audience's disbelief. Unless the CG gets top billing and the CG lays are made first and the props and setting cast that.

I think that Digital post effects are great, if used properly they are a nice tool, but most production houses want to make the most out of thier money, and though CG is expensive, its not as expensive as hiring two hundred guys to make a good set.

Take Big Fish, now that was a CG masterpiece... and done artfully well. I also liked the CG work in the fifth element, Spiderman had some horrible areas like that first in suit "Thwippin'" scene, but over all the CG complemented the set design.

Okay I'm gonna shut now..

... oh right back on topic... yeah I liked the original trilogy before, they went and redid it with the new computer effects, and well I can't say I much like star wars.. but I did catch a few episodes of the Clone Was on Cartoon Network and enjoyed it. I also liked Knights of the Old Republic Video Game. And what can I say, the new Star Wars D20 system is a great RPG game.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:26 pm

Van Douchebag wrote:Fuck that - we need Episode 7... directed by Woo and written by Kevin Smith.
Imagine the bitching lightsabre battles that would come out.

This is the next best thing.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Van Douchebag wrote:In EU, Luke has opened a Jedi academy, Han and Leia had twins and another child, and Boba Fett escapes from the Sarlacc.
And mind you, Jax, this is all official. You must realize that just because it doesn't happen in the movies that it doesn't mean it never happened at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble, man, but George Boy has always said NOTHING in NONE of the novels is official until it appears in a movie or an official Lucasarts product, which most of the novels are not. AND he retains the right to completely ignore, naysay or modify anything he takes from the novels. Poor loser Fett is still very much Sarlacc food. And a Jedi only trains one Padawan, not the myriad shown in Dark Horse Comics' "Tales of the Jedi". The only things so far not from the movies that ARE official are:

-The Sith: Darth Vader's title of "Dark Lord of the Sith" is first mentioned in the novel "Splinter of the Mind's Eye". George must have tought it sounded cool.

-All elements from the Jedi Knight series and the KOTOR game as well as Galaxies, since they're Lucasarts.

-Anything in the old WEG Star Wars RPG which doesn't directly contradict what George has said or done; this mostly pertains to trivia, like some species' and minor character's names.

-Everything in the "Shadows of the Empire" books, games and action figures.

I suspect I'm forgetting something, but this is pretty much the bulk of it.

rkolter wrote:I'd watch the pilot.

If the pilot didn't absolutely grab my eyeballs, suck them out of my skull, and moosh them into the innards of the TV itself... I probably wouldn't watch any more of it.

I'm with you on this one.

rkolter wrote:IMHO though... Episode I was not bad, if you ignore Jar-Jar. Episode 2 was pretty good. If at the end of episode three, they:

1) detonate the explosives in the future-vadar's neck (Remember they're there because he was a slave...) and that's how he gets so badly disfigured.

2) Send Jar Jar to Alderan as an ambassador (remember it gets blown up in IV).

3) Explain practically how it is C3PO has had his memory entirely wiped so does not know Obi Wan or anyone else in IV...

4) Explain the Sith enough to make sense.

5) Tell me what the hell happened to Jabba's girlfriend (seen in episode 1).

Then, I will be satisfied.

Answers:

Anakin got his slave explosive taken out (out of camera) before leaving Tattoine. Supposedly, in the Journal of the Wills (sp?), which supposedly is George's first draft of the whole Star Wars saga (all nine episodes), Obi Wan fights Anakin after he turns to the Dark Side and drops him into either lava or one of those giant molten metal containers (like the ones seen in Geonosis in Episode II). He leaves him for dead but Anakin actually survives; the Emperor picks him up, has him mechanized and thus becomes Darth Vader.

No idea what happens to Bottle Bottle; best if he's forgotten all-together and fades into obscurity.

Like it was seen in Episode IV, it is customary to memory-wipe used droids when you acquire them; this relieves them of any nasty habits, dubious information and now-useless skills they might possess. As for Obi Wan failing to react to the droids (or Darth Vader for that matter), there are rumours of yet another original trilogy redo, this time with the aim of clearing up any such continuity errors caused by the prequels. I'll take this one with a pinch of salt, though.

Lucasarts explores the Sith's background more fully in the "Knights of the Old Republic" game. Basically, the Sith are a splinter of the Jedi who chose to embrace the Dark Side instead of rejecting it; heady with all that new-found power they tried to take over the galaxy, and were nearly wiped out by the Jedi. Enough survived, though, to establish an underground movement which goes throughout the centuries plotting to overthrow the Jedi and rule the Galaxy. In the movies all this plotting climaxes in Darth Sidious' bid for control of the Old Republic. Since the Sith are basically debased Jedi, they still follow many of the Jedi tenets, like the one master-one padawan rule, which makes more sense for the treacherous Sith, since in order to become the Master you must get rid of the current one. So having more than one treacherous padawan is certainly conducive to death.

Finally, I Have No Idea what happened to Jabba's main squeeze. Most likely he got tired of her and threw her to either the Sarlacc or the Rancor.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:36 am

...I feel so invisible.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:31 am

Donch'a worry yerself there liddle one. I saw yer little movie with de storm trooper an' de durn little bleepy-swearings. ooooh me oh my whut a little pooty mouth thet boyo has don't he now. T'were plenty good now liddle one don yew be worring all bout that no more.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:24 am

Actually I was referring to the fact that I already gave some answers to rkolter's questions, but no one seemed to notice and answered them again. Looks like you didn
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:33 am

obviously you didn't answer them well enough! you Failure.

And no I did realize you answered Rkolters questions, I actually failed to notice that Jex answered them since I skipped most of the huge post.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:58 am

ivstudios wrote:Actually I was referring to the fact that I already gave some answers to rkolter's questions, but no one seemed to notice and answered them again. Looks like you didn
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby YarpsDat on Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:16 pm

[geoduck] wrote:
YarpsDat wrote:
What rocked where the first two or so minutes of episode 1. Up to the point they land on the planet surface.

I think the final lightsabre battle between.. uh.. the Evil Devil Guy.. and the two Jedi was enjoyable. (It helped immensely that they hired an actual stuntman to play the the EDG.)

Well... lightsabre battles are always good.
Even the one in The New Hope (I watched it recently paying more attention, and the first half looked rather funny)

[geoduck] wrote:But yeah, most of it was pretty much a wash.

I just wish they managed to keep the pace of the opening. Death, struggle, explosions, destruction, treachery, and the Jedi.
NOT crazy antics of antropomorphic whatever, wacky robots, even more CGI effects, implausible storyline, midichlorians and fart jokes.

And the battle?
Sheesh, the whatevers actually managed to fight off the robots for a couple of minutes, I mean come on, one blast into the shield generator - it's not like a computer controlled tank could miss. And then you drop clusterbombs...

phactorri wrote:The lighting issues come from the fact that the continuity work is subpar in relationship to what is needed from the FX houses.

I guess. I thought the computing power was a factor too, but I understand the human ignorance is way more important. Probably the people making decisions still believe computers are magical things that make everything perfect.

phactorri wrote:Thats why I like Traditional effects better..

Though my problem with CG is they use to much key work in movies today. You can't replace Video with rendered atmosphere and try to actively suspend the Audience's disbelief. Unless the CG gets top billing and the CG lays are made first and the props and setting cast that.

I think that Digital post effects are great, if used properly they are a nice tool, but most production houses want to make the most out of thier money, and though CG is expensive, its not as expensive as hiring two hundred guys to make a good set.

Yeah!

And I liked the F/X in the fifth element too. (I didn't see the other movies you mnetioned though)

--------------------------------

Anyways:
check THIS out.

It's kinda old, but it's a gread SW fan movie "troops"
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Off Topic