Movies: What makes and impact with you?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Heffaloop
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Heffaloop »

fi13r wrote:By the way, which version of the Professional did you see? I heard from a friend of mine that the American version pales in comparison to the original cut.
Probably the American one cause it was shown on TV ^^;
I should watch the original one then :D
omgwtf

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

I remember I went and saw Signs with a bunch of girls.
You know that bit at the very beginning? Where Mel wakes up and his noggin pops up on screen?
Yeah?
That scared the crap out of the girls sitting next to me and the all screamed. They didn
Image

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

hmm

Post by Bright spark »

Two very big mind movies:

Fear and Loathing in Los Vagas- Damn. That's all I can say.

Waking Life- When you watch it at 3am and you're not sure if you're still awake.

Oh, and Donnie Darko, coz every moment of it seems to blow me away.
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Re: hmm

Post by YarpsDat »

bright spark wrote: Fear and Loathing in Los Vagas- Damn. That's all I can say.
I'm not sure the movie made an impact with me...

but I can sure say it's one of my favourites.
Every single scene is just cool.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Okie wrote:The saying goes, "American's won't read subtitles." I really don't mind, but I was a film student so I don't count.

Jean Reno must not mind making the same movie twice. I've seen both Les Visiteurs and The Visitors. Jean Renot and his Stooge are in both movies, and both involve time travel. But apart from that, they are completely different.

King of Television (French) = Ed TV
Insomnia (Norwegian/Swedish?) = Insomnia (with Robin Williams)
La Femme Nikita (French) = Point of No Return
Ringu? (Japanese) = The Ring
Adam Sandler is remaking a Belgian? film Kopps.
Hm, maybe I could add a few more:
Birdcage is a remake of french movie (not naming cause I don't know how to spell french).
So was "lady in red". Or was it lady in purple"?

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by McDuffies »

bright spark wrote:Two very big mind movies:

Fear and Loathing in Los Vagas- Damn. That's all I can say.

Waking Life- When you watch it at 3am and you're not sure if you're still awake.

Oh, and Donnie Darko, coz every moment of it seems to blow me away.
Did you see other films by Terry Gilliam? I've seen most of it and IMO "Fear and Loathing" is the weakest. The strongest be probably "Brasil".
"Waking life" is one very interesting piece. I can't really say what I think about it, it's so puzzling.

User avatar
SamSim
Regular Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:38 pm
Contact:

Post by SamSim »

Pi. It's by the same person as Requiem For A Dream, which I haven't seen.
Image

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

SamSim wrote:Pi. It's by the same person as Requiem For A Dream, which I haven't seen.
They both rule. Darren Aronofsky is my favorite director!
Image

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

Okie wrote:The saying goes, "American's won't read subtitles."
I read subtitles; but I have a tendacy to read the subtitles and not watch the movie at the same time...

Oh, yeah; two more interesting scenes:

Pitch Black: At the end of the movie when the captain lady gets killed by the night creatures, and Riddick is left alone going: "Not for me... Not for me!"

Das Boot (The Boat): At the end of the movie, when they have survived all that hell, then they come back to their homeport, thinking they can finally relax; then there is a bomb raid, and they all die. That's ironic.


What's with all these people who were scared by Signs?
I thought the Ring was scarier.
The scariest moment I've seen on TV wasn't even on a horror movie though... I was in Minority Report, when the precog jerks out of the water and grabs John Anderton... that makes me jump out of my chair every time... wierd, huh?
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

Superlance wrote:The scariest moment I've seen on TV wasn't even on a horror movie though... I was in Minority Report, when the precog jerks out of the water and grabs John Anderton... that makes me jump out of my chair every time... wierd, huh?
You sure you're not confusing "scared" and "startled" now? =P
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Transformers the Movie. I always feel so uplifted when Prime single handedly turns the tide against the Decepticon attack force, then feel sorrow at Primes death.
A masterpiece of its time.

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

sippan wrote:
Superlance wrote:The scariest moment I've seen on TV wasn't even on a horror movie though... I was in Minority Report, when the precog jerks out of the water and grabs John Anderton... that makes me jump out of my chair every time... wierd, huh?
You sure you're not confusing "scared" and "startled" now? =P
Oh, yeah.
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

User avatar
Heffaloop
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Heffaloop »

Digital War wrote:Transformers the Movie. I always feel so uplifted when Prime single handedly turns the tide against the Decepticon attack force, then feel sorrow at Primes death.
A masterpiece of its time.
Marry me.
omgwtf

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

heffaloop wrote:
Digital War wrote:Transformers the Movie. I always feel so uplifted when Prime single handedly turns the tide against the Decepticon attack force, then feel sorrow at Primes death.
A masterpiece of its time.
Marry me.
"Megatron must be stopped... at any cost."

Can I be a guest?
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

"No matter the cost!"

Yes, yes you can.

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

Transformers the Movie
http://www.ugress.com ->Music ->Decepticons.mp3

I remember the utter disbelief when Galvatron disintegrates Starscream during his coronation ceremony. I liked Starscream.

And I remember thinking... how can Astrotrain, a regular size robot, turn into a space train capable of holding all the other decepticons...

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by Fi13r »

mcDuffies wrote:Did you see other films by Terry Gilliam? I've seen most of it and IMO "Fear and Loathing" is the weakest. The strongest be probably "Brasil".
"Brazil" is great, just like everything Terry Gilliam does, but I don't know if I'd say it's his strongest movie. I mean, I GET what was going on during the climax, but something about it felt a little too sloppy. Like the movie started to meander a little too much, or something. The ending is still wonderful, though.

I'd say "Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas" is his most tightly-knit movie, but you can probably owe that to Hunter S. Thompson's writing, and that doesn't necessarily say it's his best, either.

IMO, "12 Monkeys" is his weakest.


I like "The Adventures of Baron van Munchhausen" quite a bit.
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by Bright spark »

fi13r wrote:I like "The Adventures of Baron van Munchhausen" quite a bit.
The death guy in that movie scared the fuck out of me when I was little.
Oh, and wasn't it voted one of the worst movies of all time in a poll or something?
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by Fi13r »

bright spark wrote:
fi13r wrote:I like "The Adventures of Baron van Munchhausen" quite a bit.
The death guy in that movie scared the fuck out of me when I was little.
Oh, and wasn't it voted one of the worst movies of all time in a poll or something?
By idiots, maybe.


What poll are we talkin' about, anyway? I always thought most people agreed that the worst movie of all time was Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space," although, to those who know, that isn't even Ed Wood's worst movie ("Bride Of The Monster" is MUCH worse).

Personally, I think the worst movie ever made is Bill Rebane's "Monster A-Go-Go." I've seen it 3 times, and I still have no idea what happened in it.
Last edited by Fi13r on Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

ZOMBIE USER 18017
Regular Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 18017 »

I just saw Big Fish, so it's all I'm thinking about right now. I love the scene in which he appears with a field of daffodils. Yeah, I'm a romantic. Ugh.

I loved the music in LotR and The Pianist. Music's definitely important in a movie.

Benny and Joon also has a great scene; Johnny Depp lets the air out of a balloon and it sounds like a violin playing.

Post Reply