New artwork. Whaddaya think?

New artwork. Whaddaya think?

Postby Brook on Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:33 pm

Well, we've got two new pieces of artwork up now, so what do people think? I'll go first.

I really think Daniel's artwork has improved since our last attempt at this comic, which is saying something, as I have always held his artwork in high regards. I really like today's piece, as I think it nicely shows and contrasts two important aspects of Diana's personality.

::hopes and prays for some responses::
Brook

Postby Ssedrey on Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:21 pm

I think it's nowhere near as good as this Christmas pic I just did.

:D
"And so the tomato spoke..." - Ssedrey
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:03 pm

The color application the the christmas piece was excellent. If you dont mind me asking, what kind of inks did you use or was that applied in Photoshop?
Also, the layout and design is awesome, especially the rework from the 2002 design.. the new look is alot more crisp, better defined edges, in brief, just alot more detail overall. The only flaw I noticed is that the shading could use some improvement, though considering this is work from hobbist animators, this is truly top-notch artwork.

Heh, I might give animation another try myself in the near future now that I have some free time... and also due to the fact that the manager for the fine arts department at my workplace has been bugging me to continue my designs for awhile now. :P
"Are there any who are brave enough to die laughing?"
--Puchuu!!--
"What brave men you are. Take these 100 point patches!"
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:13 pm

yeah, I need to find a better way to shade that isn't as easily marred by Photoshop. Photoshop's used primarily for painting, cleaning up pics, and adding text. Everything else is done freehand with my great pencil and pen in tow.
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:46 pm

Hmm... not sure why it listed my post as Guest :P

Also, I forgot to mention... have you tried using Illustrator or Quark to emplace text instead of Photoshop?
--Puchuu!!--
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:44 am

nay, I don't mean that the photoshop damages the image. Simply put, I just haven't figured out how to adjust the levels to clean up the image but still keep the original shading intact. As for charcoal pencils and kneaded erasers, I've used both before, and they're great for most images. But I don't want to use that style for the manga format. I'm just going to have to figure out a better way to shade that won't be as easily eaten in the level adjustment.
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:50 pm

Well, like I said before, I've yet to encounter problems like those you've mentioned based on my experience in Photoshop. I'd have to compare the hard-copy to the scan art to understand whats going on. Honestly, for just scanning in a greyscale image, all you should need to do is remove artifacts for the most part, maybe tweak the saturation and midtones, but really nothing else should be necessary to correct something as simple as that. The only thing I can really suggest at this point before making too many assumptions is to actually get a hard-copy of a problematic image from you and process it myself and see what I come up with.
--Puchuu!!--
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:46 am

bleh, I used a different style of shading for today's strip and it came out much smoother. see for yerself. I think today's strip came out pretty well, though the last panel was a little rushed... Still, a far cry from the original version. I haven't been able to do all the backgrounds I'd like to do since I started inking the strips, but since I hate backgrounds anyway, I'm actually quite satisfied with most of the character art. The characters look a lot less awkward in their poses then before, and have a far greater wealth of expression and motions then before. Though if you notice, I have gradually taken to Piro's idea of hiding the hands by putting a mug there instead. Fun stuff. :) Turtles are easy to draw... Now I will do the chicken dance. Later.

The computer is infallible, there must be a problem with the user...
The computer is infallible, there must be a problem with the user...
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:18 am

Haha, looks like your catching on.... (watches chicken dance)
But this is just inexperience, just spend some time trying some of the tools on a dummy image and read the "Photoshop Help" section, furthermore, this is one of the most clearly written and complete help references I've seen to date.

But anyhow, from my experience, operator error is true in almost every computer fault I've investigated that didn't involve hardware...
--Puchuu!!--
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:12 am

But isn't it still operator error when said operator applies shotgun to said hardware?
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:14 pm

Yes, but I said faults I investigated... If the first thing I noticed was a shotgun blast through the case, I'd most likely leave rather promptly.
--Puchuu!!--
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:17 pm

so you're assuming then that the blast was made by a shotgun and not a vicious virus made up of millions of destructive nanites?
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby Kunugi on Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:26 pm

Thats even more reason to leave! To put it in brief - I'm not going to hang around long enough to find out what exactly caused a computer case to become that mangled. Whether it be projectile blasts, small explosives, viruses, nanomachines, aliens, or whatever... If I don't know the person very well, I'm running for the door or nearest window to jump through. :P
--Puchuu!!--
Kunugi

Postby Ssedrey on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:57 pm

I sometimes do that, even if there's nothing wrong. :D
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Postby K_One on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:48 am

You bastard! Im glad you finally got back into this , i told some people about your artwork and how faw the comic "should" have been , I was embarassed to find out you handed it over(i sound like a cheesy credit card commercial). Im gonna try to post in here as much as possible. Keep up the good work man! I love the new changes made! alot smoother if you ask me!
K_One

Location: On the stairway to heaven , seeking out my goddess...

Postby Ssedrey on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:27 pm

Thank ye, thank ye. Witness as your praise causes me to blush through my scales. Honestly, I'm just glad to be back. This time, perhaps, a little wiser and a little less procrastination prone.
Ssedrey
Regular Poster

Return to Diana of the Hunt