quietly for a while staring at this. :D

Wow. This is great. One of these days I hope I can draw
as well as this... :D

(Puts on romantic violin music)

Ah.... :D

Scott (You know, 3 weeks from tomorrow will be the 5th Anniversary of
my starting all this) Kellogg
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox

Hortmage
Regular Poster

Re: Synthetic Diamonds

Post by Hortmage »

Kellogg wrote: It's a bit silly that something that's newer, prettier and more durable would have less value than something that's older and natural.

I just find the irony irresistably silly. :)

Scott
I believe it was Mark Twain who once said:

"There are two kinds of fools: those who say 'This is old, and therefore good,' and the others who say 'This is new, and therefore better.'"

WP: Nice choice for a model...I liked that pose she's in...

[edit after seeing rough draft] WHOA!!! :o :o

Seriously nice job, WP! I absolutely love what you're drawing!

I'm still tellin' Florence on you, though, big guy... :wink:
Hortmage, The Magic Gardener
Making Environmental Education Fun AND Magical!

ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

5 Year Anniversary GIF

Post by ZOMBIE USER 7666 »

Kellogg wrote:Wow...

White Pony, if you don't mind, I'm just going to sit here

Excellent timing then...that'll give me some time to finish it and have it ready for your 5 Year Anniversary GIF...HA! I made a funny! :D

Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Re: Pencil work in progress

Post by Matt Trepal »

whitepony wrote:It still needs some more detail...then cleaned up...inked... and colored. I'm just letting those of you who want to see its progress, a chance to see it. :)
It's been said before, WP, but your work is amazing! I'm excited to see the finished piece!
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.

Olick
Regular Poster

Post by Olick »

Kellogg wrote:Wow...

White Pony, if you don't mind, I'm just going to sit here

Well Scott, don't we all want to be able to draw as White Pony?

And well, wow five years... Thats quite a long time, especially when looking at Webcomics, which is a relatively new medium. I think the oldest ones are only about 8 years old, right?

Mako
Regular Poster

Post by Mako »

whitepony wrote:I'll let Mako have a High Rez copy to post on his website.
Woohoo! Thank you for the most generous offer WP :) I've offered to create a HiRez fan art page for Scott, I suspect there won't be much push back on that concept :)

21CF is 1024 pixels wide, I'm happy to host any fan art that is at least 800 pixels wide, with no top end limit :)

Thank you!
Mako

Mako
Regular Poster

Post by Mako »

Kellogg wrote: (Puts on romantic violin music)
Why is the theme from The Godlion playing in my head right now? :lol:

CYa!
Mako

HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Re: Diamond Shapes

Post by HugoFuchs »

whitepony wrote:Thank you so very much for that link to the drawings of the diamond cuts. That was a HUGH help...Thank you, thank you, thank you... :)
Found the Book. After I get a couple hours sleep, I'll scan the images. Found 2 that might be what everyone is looking for. One is basically a flattened double cone, the other is made from thin plates cut from diamond in whatever shape you feel like, then faceted.

Again I'll go into this once I get a couple hours sleep.

ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Post by ZOMBIE USER 7666 »

Mako wrote:
whitepony wrote:I'll let Mako have a High Rez copy to post on his website.
Woohoo! Thank you for the most generous offer WP :) I've offered to create a HiRez fan art page for Scott, I suspect there won't be much push back on that concept :)

21CF is 1024 pixels wide, I'm happy to host any fan art that is at least 800 pixels wide, with no top end limit :)

Thank you!
Mako
At least 800 pixels wide...hmmm, I've got original scans that are over 2000 to 4000 pixels wide. I'm not sure if you guys want a file that wide. Do you???
HugoFuchs wrote:Found the Book. After I get a couple hours sleep, I'll scan the images. Found 2 that might be what everyone is looking for. One is basically a flattened double cone, the other is made from thin plates cut from diamond in whatever shape you feel like, then faceted.

Again I'll go into this once I get a couple hours sleep.
Oooh, I'll be waiting for your scanned copies of those pages. Sounds like something I could use as reference. I'll hold off finishing the inking of the piece of art until I hear from you. Thank you so much... :)

Mako
Regular Poster

Post by Mako »

whitepony wrote: At least 800 pixels wide...hmmm, I've got original scans that are over 2000 to 4000 pixels wide. I'm not sure if you guys want a file that wide. Do you???
The practical limit for most people is likely to be 1280 pixels wide. Although my laptop runs at 1600, most others are closers to the 1280 size. Since a lot of people use laptops to surf, I'm going to let that tail wag the dog.

I'm thinking of creating 640 pixel wide thumbnails and linking to the full size image. There also is no reason not to have a 1280 wide image link to something even larger if the artist wants to people to experience his/her work in JumboVision.

Considering that 640 is a frequent "full size" on many sites, I think the HiRezFox name will be well served by doing something like the above. I need a bigger uplink pipe to do this properly, but that will have to wait for another day.

Is my thinking above out of line? Real art like what you guys are creating takes real pixels :)

CYa!
Mako

Batty den
Regular Poster

Re: Diamond Shapes

Post by Batty den »

HugoFuchs wrote:
Found the Book. After I get a couple hours sleep, I'll scan the images. Found 2 that might be what everyone is looking for. One is basically a flattened double cone,
I'd really like to see this one.

battyden

...what?

Nothing.
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides

HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Re Diamond Designs

Post by HugoFuchs »

Slept off the day. :oops: Happens when I get under 3 hours sleep for too many days in a row. I'll be getting home from work about 8:30 AM and will have all scanned and posted by 10 AM. Stay tuned. :-?

HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

FYI

Post by HugoFuchs »

I'll mail the initial two I think apply to WP and the double cone one to Batty, the rest I'll FTP with a webpage to my website after I scan them. That will delay WP least. 8)

HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Diamond page upcoming

Post by HugoFuchs »

I'm running a little behind this morning. :o
Sent Emails to WP & Batty via registered site email. :)
As soon as I get done scanning and writing up the html I'll post a direct link here. 8)

ZOMBIE USER 11490

Post by ZOMBIE USER 11490 »

Mako wrote:The practical limit for most people is likely to be 1280 pixels wide. Although my laptop runs at 1600, most others are closers to the 1280 size. Since a lot of people use laptops to surf, I'm going to let that tail wag the dog.
Personally, my desktop and laptop both run at 1400x1050, but I can bring my desktop out to 1920x1440 for limited amounts of time (60Hz refresh rate is a pain in the eyes, 1600x1200 I can do a bit longer) :D.

HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Diamond Page

Post by HugoFuchs »

Sorry for the wait all.
The page is at:

http://members.cox.net/hugofuchs/diamon ... _cuts.html

I'll be updating more tomorrow.
:)

Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Post by Little_Dragon »

Mako wrote:I've offered to create a HiRez fan art page for Scott, I suspect there won't be much push back on that concept :)

Really? I have a higher-resolution version of the get-well card (1200x1200), if you want it.

Mako
Regular Poster

Post by Mako »

Little_Dragon wrote:
Mako wrote:I've offered to create a HiRez fan art page for Scott, I suspect there won't be much push back on that concept :)

Really? I have a higher-resolution version of the get-well card (1200x1200), if you want it.
Wow, yes please! That would be wonderful! :)

allenwoolleyATyahoo.com if you can and Thank You!

CYa!
Mako

Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Alexandrite

Post by Baxtrr »

HugoFuchs wrote:
I personally prefer stones with color, and If I wanted rarity then I would go for <a href="http://www.gemhut.com/alex.htm">alexandrite</a>.
A Baxtrr story to share, and to keep from wasting the time of those who despise my nattering, here's the punchline up front: never marry a geologist.

When the Mrs. and I were deciding some years ago to make a go of it, I asked her what she wanted in an engagement ring. She told a story of how, years earlier, she had been a geology student at Radcliffe and a world-renowned gemologist had come to her class to let the students see some of his stones. He happily handed out enormous rubies, diamonds, emeralds, and more, and let them circulate around the students without a glance...but there was one stone he took from his pocket and squired around personally. It was a Russian alexandrite, one of the better ones out there. That had made an impression on her, and she had decided that an alexandrite was what she wanted.

Having done some reading on the subject, and knowing about her interest in the stones (if not why, before that moment), I knew that the big thing at the time was the new Brazilian alexandrite mine, which was being fought over and blown up on a regular basis. (Brazilian alexandrites are far prettier, as a rule, than the best of the Sri Lankan or Russian stones, with better color changes and more clarity.) I also knew, given my fiancee's predilection for perfectionism, that she would never settle for a substandard stone, and would eventually settle for something different entirely. I figured I'd outwait her.

So I laughed out loud and said, "Well, honey, if that's what you want, that's what you'll get...as soon as there's one on the market."

(Y'all can see where this is going, right?) :roll:

We looked around and sure enough, the Brazilian mines were closed (again) and the jewelers we spoke to only had Russian stones, whose color change went from olive-ish to brown-red-purple-ish, and which had small flaws that made them affordable rather than astronomical. It was looking good... and then our goldsmith, who was custom-making our rings, called us in the middle of the night to tell us that a raid on the mine had resulted in one bag of stones totaling maybe 150 carats uncut weight making it into the USA, and that a jeweler in New York City had a stone he'd be willing to let us look at for 24 hours, tops. :o

The next day, in the goldsmith's shop, he cracked open the safe, took out the stone, and let us examine it while he stood guard at the front door. It was a small stone, only 1/3 of a carat, but it was perfectly cut and of exquisite color. The goldsmith told us that in 30 years of work with alexandrites, including at the Smithsonian, he'd never seen one with a better color change: from wine-red under candlelight to brilliant scarlet in incandescent light to green in sunlight to ferocious aqua in fluorescent light and black light. "Museum quality," literally.

My wife and I are not particularly materialistic people, and neither of us has ever gone in for jewelry, but looking at that tiny stone on that scrap of velvet brought home why people will kill for this kind of beauty, and have for centuries.

The stone's very small size made up costwise for its exquisite color change, and by modern gemstone standards it was a real bargain. I don't know if the Mrs. showed it to Scott when he met her last year; she wears and shows it with pride.

These days, with the advent of synthetic stones and the forcible reopening of the alexandrite mines in Brazil in the late 1980s by someone with enough firepower to keep them open, our stone is actually worth a bit less than it was then. But it's enough to know that at one time we actually had an alexandrite that was nicer than the ones the Smithsonian had. And having paid off the bank loan promptly, these days I can joke about what at the time seemed like a ridiculous expense.

Which brings me back to my punchline: never marry a geologist.

bax
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web

Kellogg
Regular Poster

Re: Alexandrite

Post by Kellogg »

baxtrr wrote:never marry a geologist.
I dunno, you seem to have done pretty well for yourself... ;)

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox