Name for a boy character?

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Name for a boy character?

Post by ZOMBIE USER 12729 »

Hi guys. I just want to ask if anyone can think of a name for a character for me. I can't really describe him though because I kind of just drew him and I haven't thought of his personality yet. But I kind of want a Japanese name for him maybe. Something that means "cute boy" or something like that. I can describe what he looks like if that will help. He has brown hair(a little on the long side), blue eyes, he has this sword that is pretty normal but the hilt is well red and my brother said it looks like a butterfly but its not. It's kind of like an x that has the top and bottom parts curved in or something like that. He carries around the scabbard for it a long with wearing shoulder armor and black finger-less gloves. He currently has on a blue t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers(what I drew him wearing). So can anyone think of anything? Please? If you can thanks. Although I don't know weather I should put him in my comic or not. Maybe I should start another one with him in it instead. But I haven't even gotten my site yet. Grr. Too much stuff to think about. So what do you all say?

*****EDIT*****
Okay people. I know I said I was leaning towards something Japanese oriented that ment "cute boy", but if you can give me anything in English, Chinese, I don't know, pretty much that area and can mean the same thing, its fine. No Korean names. No offense to Koreans though. They're cool just like the Japanese and Chinese people. Hail to the Asian people!

(Disclamer-Just because I say that they're cool does not mean that I believe in the certian government that they have and all that other bad stuff that people think about when they think of the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.)
Last edited by ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karlie
Regular Poster

Post by Karlie »

often it's easier to come up with names after they have a personality. then again, for me, comming pu with names if usualy the hardest part of writing.
'bishounen' is the only thing i can think up off the top of my head than means anything along the lines of cute boy. and i'm too laizy to get up and look for the dictonary
i've found these little books that have names and their meanings with those little magazenes at most grocery stores. they usualy cost about a dollar and are great for getting name ideas
The Alias Project
http://drunkduck.com/AliasProject

"why when people tell up there are billions of stars in the sky, we believe them. but when we are told a wall has wet paint, we have to touch it to be sure?"
http://fangirltheater.keenspace.com - we said it was comming. here it is.

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Well I've just started thinking of his personality. I didn't have much time yesterday. Think 17 yr old boy personality. Add that he's kind, one of the heroes in the story(I decided to put him in a new comic), master swordsman(hey its a fantasy world, anything is possible), non magical for a while, courageous, responsible,and his parents die in the start. Hmm. Is there anything I forgot? Oh yeah. He goes to travel around the kingdom with one of his friends thats going on a pilgramige after his parents die. That should be about it.

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Well I think I can turn bishounen into a name. Um here the letters in capital in the name are the parts of bishounen: BISHOUN ENto. It doesn't work so well does it. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Oh yeah here's a change I want to make for the name. It can be in Japanese, Chinese, or English. As long as it goes along the criteria of meaning "cute boy" or something similar. Okay? I tried to edit my first post here to say something along these lines, but I'm not sure if it worked. If it did, whatever. You just got to see me make a fool of myself. WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Well I think I can turn bishounen into a name. Um here the letters in capital in the name are the parts of bishounen: BISHOUN ENto. It doesn't work so well does it. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Oh yeah here's a change I want to make for the name. It can be in Japanese, Chinese, or English. As long as it goes along the criteria of meaning "cute boy" or something similar. Okay? I tried to edit my first post here to say something along these lines, but I'm not sure if it worked. If it did, whatever. You just got to see me make a fool of myself. WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Narddude
Regular Poster

Post by Narddude »

Why don't you try giving him a Shakespearean-like name? Lysander, Mercutio, Benvolio, Tybalt ... um ... that's really all I can think of right now (you could always use Romeo ^^;).

How about Leon? He's some pretty boy on one of my mom's C-Pop CDs that she always listens to you (for those who don't know what C-Pop is, it stands for Canto-Pop).

Erm .... what else ... (as you can see, I like naming things ^^) .... um ... er .... ehm ... how about .... Beowulf? It's not exactly a cute name, but he's a really powerful swordsman in ye olde english tales. Maybe Tristan or perhaps Debonair? You could use those two (their both pretty boy generals from Ogre Battle. I love that game.)

Well, I'm pretty much out of ideas for now ... I hope these were of some use to you. =)
- NardDude: The God of <a href="http://nardmanga.keenspace.com" target="top">NardManga</a>

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

narddude wrote:Why don't you try giving him a Shakespearean-like name? Lysander, Mercutio, Benvolio, Tybalt ... um ... that's really all I can think of right now (you could always use Romeo ^^;).

How about Leon? He's some pretty boy on one of my mom's C-Pop CDs that she always listens to you (for those who don't know what C-Pop is, it stands for Canto-Pop).

Erm .... what else ... (as you can see, I like naming things ^^) .... um ... er .... ehm ... how about .... Beowulf? It's not exactly a cute name, but he's a really powerful swordsman in ye olde english tales. Maybe Tristan or perhaps Debonair? You could use those two (their both pretty boy generals from Ogre Battle. I love that game.)

Well, I'm pretty much out of ideas for now ... I hope these were of some use to you. =)
narddude, those could be useful. Thanks. But now seeing how hard it is for this guy, maybe I should push the "cute boy" thing as a nickname instead. it'll be a lot easier to think of a nick name. Plus then I could use Bishoun as the nickname. It makes some sense. It is kind of an abreviated form of bishounen. Which means "beautiful boy" which is along the lines of "cute boy"(thanks Karlie). My mind is in total conflict now with this thing. But pushing the "cute boy" name as a nickname is a good idea. His friends could call him that a lot, he'd still have a proper name that people wouldn't think that I was drunk when I chose it(not refering to you), or whatever the case may be.

P.S. I asked for a name that ment "cute boy" not the names of such people. but thanks anyway. i could use one of the names as a name for another character.

Electronblues
Regular Poster

Post by Electronblues »

The words for cute and boy in Japanese are kawaii and shounen, but that doesn't make for much of a name. I've been thinking about it for a couple of day, and I do have one idea that might be helpful for you though. You could have his friends add the word "chan" to the end of his name. In addition to showing that someone is younger than you, it carries a "cute" connotation. That part of why pets often have "chan" tacked onto their names--like P-chan in Ranma 1/2. Or if you take the first few letters of boy in Japanese and add chan to them, you could call him something like Sho-chan. *shrug* That's the best I could come up with. I'm still new to learning Japanese, so if anyone more exprerienced can add to it or has a reason why that doesn't work, please pipe in.
"My mother told me a REAL woman can force her logic onto any man!" Wakaba from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

http://electronblues.keenspace.com/

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

What If I cut up Kawaii and Shounen and stick them together. Like Kashoun, Kawaen, Shounwaii, well this is comming out messed up. Any other ideas? Wait! Like electronblues said, I could tack on -chan to the name. So what if I did something like Shounen-chan? Wait, that makes no sense does it. So um, again, anyother ideas?

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Wait how are these names:

Jinto "Sho-chan" Liu
Kyle "Bishoun" Takashi
Kaen "Shounwaii" Takashi
Kashoun "Sho-chan" Waiien

But I don't know what Jinto means. Besides. I'm borrowing the name from Crest of the Stars. If you don't know what that is, watch TechTV tonight at 1:00pm. Kyle is american name or something of the like plus the name in the quotations is Bishounen except without the "en". Kaen I made up from what was left of Kawaii and Shounen when I cut it up to make Shounwaii. The same goes for Kashoun Waiien. The middle name is from electronblues. So how are those. You can mix them up and stuff to what you think is okay. Also add stuff. Please add stuff if the mood strikes you. So I have more to work with. My Japanese vocabulary is so small, that it would fit on the head of a pin. But deffine what new words you use.

JadedLove

name

Post by JadedLove »

I suggest the name "Daisuke", is an actual name didn't just pull the word out of... well.. anyways, Japanese exchange students are coming to my school and two of the guys are named Daisuke, pretty nifty keen.

Shane B
Regular Poster

Post by Shane B »

I think you should call him "Dirk", 'cause that's the coolest name in the world. Right up there with Ricardo.
Two hotdogs are cooking on a barbecue one day, and the first hotdog turns to the other and says, "Boy, it sure is hot in here," and the other hotdog responds, "Whoah! A talking hotdog!"

My comic is temporarily available at drunkduck.com/Elijah_and_Azuu

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Re: name

JadedLove wrote:I suggest the name "Daisuke", is an actual name didn't just pull the word out of... well.. anyways, Japanese exchange students are coming to my school and two of the guys are named Daisuke, pretty nifty keen.
It is pretty nifty. I may consider using Daisuke. See if you can get anymore names.

Narddude
Regular Poster

Post by Narddude »

Sven or Fabio. (NOTE: These are my friend's suggestions. Not mine. I am being held at gun point.)
- NardDude: The God of <a href="http://nardmanga.keenspace.com" target="top">NardManga</a>

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

narddude wrote:Sven or Fabio. (NOTE: These are my friend's suggestions. Not mine. I am being held at gun point.)
I'll save you! KkkkkkkkaaaaaaammmmmeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhaaaaaaaammmmmmeeeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops! Sorry! i cut it a little close. Don't worry. Missing an arm doesn't mean anything. At least you've still got your personality. Right? anyway Sven or Fabio aren't my kind of choices right now.

Narddude
Regular Poster

Post by Narddude »

Aw man ... you cut off my right arm ... now how am I supposed to draw? Oh well.

*Holds pencil in mouth and begins to draw*

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Sorry! um lets put some of picclo's dna in you and you can regenerate your arm! I'll go get it!

Narddude
Regular Poster

Post by Narddude »

sweet ... super strength and a special beam cannon ... heh heh heh ... >=)

ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

i got it! here. :injects dna into narddude: did it work yet?

Narddude
Regular Poster

Post by Narddude »

:Blows up StarWarrior with Special Beam Cannon: Seems to work just fine. MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cough* *hack* *gag*

Note to self: Do not laugh that hard.