The Official New Site Design Thread

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

Well, I managed to screw it up twice, and then had to tinker with the design twice, not to mention accidentally uploading everything to the wrong directory three times...

But I got the blasted new design uploaded. Anything you'd like to see changed?

Oh yeah, the 2001-2002 comics still aren't uploaded. I recently got a new hard drive which means I'm still "unpacking" all my old files and setting everything up the way I like it :) I promise it'll be done by Christmas though!

Glych
Cartoon Hero

Post by Glych »

All I want for X-Mas is my new site teeth...

um...

or something like that...

Anyhoo, I love it! It's so very coo'!

But...

On the indextemplate, it has No Stereotypes on the top when Glych's experiment is running right now, and, I recently got two e-mails from various keenspace site runners that say that the keenspace banner ad needs to be at the top. I've e-mailed Gav to doublecheck this, so don't change it yet, but you might have to...

As for everyone who helped out (there are 5 of you, yes?) Instead of an original glych drawing, how about an original ceramic Spons figurine? I'm going to be playing with clay after the 20th of Janurary a lot (ah college is fun sometimes) and have made several already in my time...the designs are coming to me like a dream...

ah yes...

the ideas...

-glych
---
I love the smell of India Ink in the morning.
Panel2Panel

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

Oops, thought the banner ad was at the bottom on the old site design, must be going crazy. Anyways, I changed the title bar to be (name of comic), so it will automatically change now - I just had the old one up there to remind me that it was still in progress and I sort of forgot to change that :)

I just did this to help out, so whatever you want to provide is fine with me. A ceramic Spons would certainly be cool :)

Glych
Cartoon Hero

Post by Glych »

Looks great! Yeah, I got an e-mail back from Gav...it IS supposed to be that way...

so thank you...

Ceramic Spons are acomin' then!

I can't make them for a month, until the facilities become available to me, but I will post designs as soon as they are done.

-glych
---
Panel2Panel

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

Do you want me to keep the large "No Stereotypes" logo that's currently on the top (from the Alternative Title Card project), or do you have a "Glych's Experiment" logo that you'd prefer me to use?

(For the archives I accidentally had the logo twice, that will be fixed once the site updates again.)

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

12/24, at 12:56 am PST, and the site is now updated to use only JPGs and the occasional animated GIF. Reading the entire archives again was a lot of fun, and there where a lot more animations than I remembered so it's a good thing I did it :)

Tell me if anything is messed up! I'm pretty much certain I did everything right, but computers are occasionally evil fickle machines, as we all know :)

Total size reduction was, IIRC, 20-30%

McNab

Post by McNab »

BanditAngel wrote: I just did this to help out, so whatever you want to provide is fine with me. A ceramic Spons would certainly be cool :)
I'll second that, and <a href="http://glych.keenspace.com/images/glychtitle.jpg" target="_blank">here's</a> the top banner for the Experiment. Which, I'm guessing, is the one that Glych wants on the main page, for now. Also, I was looking at the alt NS title banner and I noticed that the glow was getting clipped at the edges, so I fixed it up and uploaded it <a href="http://web.tampabay.rr.com/hhstorage/topbanner.htm" target="_blank">here</a>, along with a couple color variations that you might wanna try out once NS starts up again.

Oh, and the dropdown storyline selecter is busted, but after looking at the source code I think it just needs links to the individual strips.

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

The dropdown is a keentag thing, not something I coded myself. I'll have to look in to fixing it or doing it manually or something. I also just realized I need to do the links page and what-not. And here I was thinking I was done, dangit :)

As for the banner, I'm just using the one I got from the Alternative Title Card Project with the extra black space deleted - I don't know why, but I like it. Then again, I've always thought of the comic as being No Stereotypes, regardless of what the actual name was :)

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

The dropdown is a keentag thing, not something I coded myself. I'll have to look in to fixing it or doing it manually or something. I also just realized I need to do the links page and what-not. And here I was thinking I was done, dangit :)

As for the banner, I'm just using the one I got from the Alternative Title Card Project with the extra black space deleted - I don't know why, but I like it. Then again, I've always thought of the comic as being No Stereotypes, regardless of what the actual name was :)

Glych
Cartoon Hero

Post by Glych »

Hmmm....the dropdown for the storylines or the dropdown for other keenspace comics?

If it's the dropdown for other keenapace comics, I can just ask someone like scrubbo for a copy of his code...

If it's the storyline dropdown, I'll have to tweak it myself...

Let me work out another Glych's experiment title...

the old one is too...

ugh...

I like it! Y'all are wonderful!

Thank you!

Oh, P.S. I also need to clean out the files on the site...so I'll have to do that...if there's new files you added, Bandit, tell me now or forever hold your peace....

^_^

-glych
---
Panel2Panel

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

First off, I'll probably gone for the next 3-7 days, and I wouln't have much if any internet access during that time, so I wouln't be able to update the site :)

I uploaded all the new graphics to workspace/image, so they should already have been moved to public_html like the rest of the update stuff. There's obviously the new comics, but I really doubt you planned on clearing that out :) http://gear.keenspace.com/dropdowns.html for details on the new ones.

The Keenspace comic list dropdown was taken off the keen-tag list because it was too big (the code for it is about 10K if I remember right - It's a 10+ page list, absolutely huge!). They've got little dropdowns for various categories now, if you want to join some of those and get some new readers.

The storyline dropdown doesn't work - When I use it I get a 404 CGI does not exist error, so it might not be a problem with the Glych website so much as the Keenspace server. If you want to play around with it, that's cool with me :) ("The requested URL /cgi-bin/dropdown.cgi was not found on this server.")

Anyways, I'll see you all in a while :)

Glych
Cartoon Hero

Post by Glych »

Cool...I'll look at it...

Also, the other pages like "random stuff" and such are not altered...

Just some meintanance and such...

Maybe you and I could work out a "click through to next image" type code for the "how to"s...

You know, where you click on the turtorial, and it opened isn another window (sized) and it has my directions with the image on it rather than the long loading pages I have now...

does that make sense?

-glych
---
Panel2Panel

BanditAngel
Regular Poster

Post by BanditAngel »

That should be fairly easily done. I'll also get the rest of the pages fixed up then :)

Siece
Regular Poster
Location: Gully Foyle is my name/and Terra is my nation./The stars are my dwelling place/Death my destination.

Post by Siece »

BanditAngel wrote:Tell me if anything is messed up! I'm pretty much certain I did everything right, but computers are occasionally evil fickle machines, as we all know :)
I just read through the archives again, and I did notice a few problems, and had a few thoughts for later improvements...

First off, clicking on the 'First' button takes you to a (mostly) empty file called 1.html, rather than to the first comic.

Secondly, in the 1.23.2k1 and 2.1.2k1 strips, the links to the rest of the crossover show up in the middle of the comic, rather than below it.

Also, this might not be you, but in rereading the archives, it looks like the 8.10.2k1 and 8.11.2k1 strips somehow got swapped, so that 8.10 is where 8.11 should be, and vice versa. Then again, I don't work well in a linear timeframe, it might just be my head that's backwards. ;)

Also in the needs to be fixed category, but my fault, not yours:

When I was fixing the archives and so on last year, I somehow completely missed the NS/Chopping Block crossover. You should put in links, or at least an attribution.

I also managed to consistently mispell the word 'still' in the links throughout the Sluggy and Star Wars crossovers. Fixing that would be nice. It would also be nice if you could put back up the note saying that I have done some work on the site.

In the stuff to be fixed later category:

In the NS/PDM/SCV/RoCR crossover, I added the links to the other comics at the bottom of the page. Technically, however, the other comics should all be read before reading NS. It would help out people going through the archives for the first time if the links were above the comic.

I also noticed several misspellings in the comic itself, but you should probably check with Glych before tampering there, since that's messing with actual comics. I took note of the comics I found misspellings in. If it's OK to fix them, send me an email or something, and I'll send you a list of errors I spotted.

If Glych does decide to let you tamper, you might also want to fix a minor continuity issue. The 'Splitting Atom' storyline established that Atom and Jody have been hanging around since the days of Mesopotamia, and yet they (and the character-profiles comic) refer to themselves as being only around 500 years old. I looked it up on Google, and the burning of Ur, which Atom mentions by name, happened around 1800 BC. Since they were already a couple hundred years old then, that makes them at least 4,000 years old, and maybe as much as 5,500 years old, since Mesopotamia was founded sometime around 3500 BC.

I could also help with fixing most of these, if you need it. :)

--
Siece, CI & PIQE