What happened to the Turbocool?

What happened to the Turbocool?

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:53 pm

Where has all the rad gone?

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby Psiogen on Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:03 am

Unfortunately, keeping the entire world's supply of rad under control is more than even I can handle right now.

I'm stuck with a spotty internet connection and a ginormous pile of work. If anyone wants to help out with the administration of Turbocool, and organizing group thingies/promotional schemes/etc, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sylvan, fadin motherfuckers like bleach.
Image Image
Last edited by Sailor Moon on Fri Bec 55th, 9239 56:82 pm; edited 229425 times in total.
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero

Postby Crescentmoon76 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:16 am

Like what do you help with?
Crescentmoon76
Regular Poster

Postby Psiogen on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:33 am

Adding new members, taking requests for updates from the old members, updating the turbocool site, and organizing crossovers and promotional schemes (such as my abandoned project to get us up high on the Keenspace Top 99...)
Sylvan, fadin motherfuckers like bleach.
Image Image
Last edited by Sailor Moon on Fri Bec 55th, 9239 56:82 pm; edited 229425 times in total.
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero

Postby Crescentmoon76 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:17 pm

Well here's an idea we could volunteer some of our strips to appear semi weekly on the main page. So it would have a variety of content and showcase our strips in a different place.

I would be willing to let you run the archive of 'Ethics' if you want.
Crescentmoon76
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:17 pm

I'm willing to do whatnot. Whatever.

'n I agree with moon.... there's not much on the Turbocool site sans that 'Fun' that really showcases anything. There's the links..... and the fun.... and the rest is all kind of uneventful. If we could just take random strips and put them on the front page (or a 'best of today' thing) the cartoonists would be happy, people would be coming back to the site, and monkeys would serve you cappucinno in milk bars.

Good luck on the rad control.

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby Crescentmoon76 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:37 pm

Oh and other than that I'd be willing to help out anywhere else too.
Crescentmoon76
Regular Poster

Postby Isukun on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:26 pm

I could help out a bit. I have a lot of free time. Like when I'm at work. Actually, organizing stuff and evaluating new potentials wouldn't be a major hassle for me. I always thought it might be better to run newbies through the guantlet so to speak though. It might be good to get some second opinions on who we let in. As for ideas to bring the rad back to turbocool, I can think of a few things, but mostly they deal with the holiday season. If given a little time, I'm sure I could find something that doesn't require a tight schedule. I do kind of like the idea of posting up archive stuff. It may also be nice if there were a page which somehow notified visitors when pages updated. Other people mentioned the possibility of large scale crossovers between several turbocool members a while back, but it seemed to get dismissed due to continuity issues and a general lack of time.
Isukun

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:47 am

I remember a loooooooong time ago of the Idea of doing a profile of one of the Turbocool members. It wouldn't take that long. Answer some questions and show some art. (each week, or 2 we could profile another member)

P.S. If need be, I can lend a little help too.
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainMooki on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:51 pm

I don't have a lot of time to help, but I can suggest a few things.

I agree that we need some more content on the site than just the links and the jam. I'm not sure how we could get the different comic each day thing to work right, but we could try using some html files on the auto update to have a "New Today" list of links on the main page that would update every day of the week with the links arranged according to each different comic's scheduals. just make one html file for each day of the week and then make enough copies in the workspace/comics folder so that it'll auto update everyday for a couple months and then take the files out of the archives after a while (since we won't use the ***next_comic***, ***Last_comic***, ect... tags) and rename them back in the workspace/comics folder.

Also I think we should do some contest/challenges other than the panel jam. The only reason I haven't done a panel for it yet is because I haven't been able to think of a good idea and it may be that way with others. If we do a bunch of different kinds of contest/challenges like draw a character this way, a mini-comic featuring so and so punchline or character in a different way, or a quick and dirty (under 30 minutes sketch) of some subject or idea every now and then.

And in addition to the cartoonist profile/questionaires, each month or week we could just put up one question asked all the turbocoolers and thier different answers. The question could be about anything, world events, "come up with your own idea for a new TV show", personal questions not asked in the profile, ect...
...and then everyone ate cookies and read "The Adventures of Captain Mooki" and were happy!
CaptainMooki
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:49 pm

For the auto-updating thing, the only way I can see this happening is to give all the members the FTP password. Then we could assign everyone a letter, and put that letter at the end of the date
ex 20010204a for Mr Bubbles
and 20010204b for Life And Times of

The negative to this, of course, would be abuse and a concern innappropriate content (such as a blatant nude filler.)

That way, the cartoonists would just have to upload their new cartoons to their website as well as Turbocool, and just update them both at the same time. What this would require is a more strict membership policy so that we don't get spammed with stupid lamers. Or trust. Whatever.

That's just a randomly spouted idea...

Or there could be a sign-up for a regular comic jam.... one that would be updated more often because people would be obligated to finish their submission.

...and contests, and little awards, and incentives, and showcasing, and all that good stuff.

I want to see the rad again.

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainMooki on Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:26 pm

Actually, what I meant for the "New Today" section was a list of the comics that regularly update that time of the week, not the comics themselves. Something like:

--New Today--

"Nemesis"
"Losers"
"Coolville"
"Killroy and Tina"
"Wanderjive"

....and so on and so on listing the names of all the comics and links to thier index pages, not the comic images, so that we can use the same html files each week.
...and then everyone ate cookies and read "The Adventures of Captain Mooki" and were happy!
CaptainMooki
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainMooki on Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:42 pm

Actually, what I meant for the "New Today" section was a list of the comics that regularly update that time of the week, not the comics themselves. Something like:

--New Today--

"Nemesis"
"Losers"
"Coolville"
"Killroy and Tina"
"Wanderjive"

....and so on and so on listing the names of all the comics and links to thier index pages, not the comic images, so that we can use the same html files each week.
CaptainMooki
Regular Poster

Postby Isukun on Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:35 pm

Another thing that might be interesting could be a psuedo forum for the main page allowing the artists to post a short news post about their most recent update. Like giving a short description of the latest comic and the date. These would continue to move down the page until you got 30 or so and then they would be removed from the listing. Of course this sort of thing would require effort on the part of the comic artists/authors, but it would offer visitors immediate news on what's been updated and possibly also allow artists/authors to point out new features on their websites, as well and link to content they might be hosting.

The interview thing also sounds pretty cool to me. Like having a featured artist each week and possibly even add in little touches like cartoon avatars for the authors and the interviewer. I think Akhmed and I were working on something like that once for another site.

Of course, in addition to content, it may also help to get a bit of publicity. Out of curiosity, how many people actually visit this site? Plugging the site in a few places might help bring in a few more visitors, especially since the listing here is based more on quality than being a general listing.
Isukun

Postby Jeero on Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:30 pm

i like the idea of posting a news post, would show what exactly each comic is about, which the site doesnt do right now... some competitions would be good, too. and we have a whole bunch o people who've volunteered to help, so let's actually do something about it, like... now. yeah, go! woo!
Jeero
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:08 pm

I was all hyped up... and then.... it just.... stopped.
Let's get some real content on the sites, and then set up something real big (like a mass-cartoon-giveaway). Then you could promote the #&%@ out of the site and hook all the people. And nobody really gets all too many hits from the large banner, so you could use that as the primary source of publicity.
Then you return the banners, everyone gets a cripe load more visits, Turbocool stays alive, and we get back 'the rad'.

wooo!

wooo!

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:41 pm

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was all hyped up... and then.... it just.... stopped.
Let's get some real content on the sites, and then set up something real big (like a mass-cartoon-giveaway). Then you could promote the #&%@ out of the site and hook all the people. And nobody really gets all too many hits from the large banner, so you could use that as the primary source of publicity.
Then you return the banners, everyone gets a cripe load more visits, Turbocool stays alive, and we get back 'the rad'.

wooo!

wooo!

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Return to Turbocool