Lord of the Rings : Two Towers Rantings

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Lord of the Rings : Two Towers Rantings

Post by Bluebug »

A little over a week and the next installment of LOTR will be here! It's gonna be one big agonizing wait...and the fact that I've got a slew of finals next week don't help matters none.

For those of you who have never skipped over to the official LOTR site, do it now!!!! http://www.lordoftherings.net Well, ok, do it after you read this post.... This site has some great interviews that will give you great insight into the movies, and pics galore. *drools just thinking about it. Pretty pics of Legolas, anyone? ^^*. Plus, you can let loose your creative/morbid side and "skin an elf"!! I wish I had an army of Massive Agents to do my bidding.... (those of you with the blank stares...go to the site, you'll understand ^^)

Oh yeah, the other day I saw an ad for the PS2 game for LOTR : TT. It rocked. Yet one more reason to bemoan my PS2-less status ^^;.

And on LOTR unrelated news, KM shall be officially back up on Dec 16th or 17th (depends on how comatose I am after my last exam). All in all, I'd say it's pretty good news all around!!

ciao

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Two Towers review

Post by Bluebug »

The Good:

Needless to say, this second installment of Tolkien's epic series was filled with amazing panoramic scenes of snow-capped mountains and murky bogs and forests. But never did the daunting scale of the backdrops overshadow the characters -- nor, oddly enough, their humor.

Though this film was a lot darker than the last, what with the pillaging, conspiracies and big bad warmongering, the one thing that really struck me was that I laughed a lot more than I did watching the first movie. And if that isn't odd enough, the laughs came from some unexpected corners: Gimli, the stoic dwarf, and Gollum, the slithering, slimy thing that looked like he'd just dragged himself out of a rotting bog. They were both hilarious, and Gollum's ability to elicit simultaneous surges of pity, amusement and disgust was frankly quite amazing.

The Bad:

I have two main complaints about this film. The first one is that there were many battle sequences in this movie, and most of them take place at dusk, or in the dead of night, making it near impossible to grasp what was going on. The second complaint is that this movie was a little choppier that the first. That in itself is understandable, since the Fellowship had been fragmented, and so it was necessary to jump from one set of characters to the next, but there were some "dream" sequences in the movie that just added to the disjointedness of the film.

Conclusion:

Go see this movie. If nothing else, Gollum's "performance" will make it all worthwhile. It's kinda like that scene in the Fellowship where Bilbo snatches for the Ring and his face looks like something out of a mutant meets zombie movie. It's the sort of thing that stays with you long after you leave the theatre.

** Got comments on the movie? Give your two cents in the forum! **

Radical Edward

[no subject]

Post by Radical Edward »

My two cents about the movie:

Well...

*starts crying* :cry: I WANNA SEE IT! I MUST SEE IT! LEGOLAS KICKS BUTT!!!!!

Thank you. Now gimme a dollar.

(o^.^o) Yami no Radical Edward
"Only a fool seeks his future without first striving to remember his past."

Radical Edward

Saw it

Post by Radical Edward »

I forgot where I was when the movie ended.

But all the way home I was saying, "Bluebug was right, Gimli was hilarious!"

"That was deliberate, that was deliberate..."

And the whole competing-over-how-many-Uruk-hai-they-can-kill issue... I liked that. I think Legolas won. I like that, too.

And, completely off the subject, how do you think they come up with all those crappy ideas for Scooby-Doo serieses?

(o^.^o) Yami no Radical Edward
"Only a fool seeks his future without first striving to remember his past."

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Post by Bluebug »

I don't understand why people view this topic but don't reply. Surely everyone who saw the movie has some opinion on LOTR!!

Anyways, you're right; Legolas won hands down, I'm thinking. After all, he was about a dozen Uruk-hai ahead of Gimli! Oh, and I loved when they showed Gimli with just his helmet poking out of the wall, that was hilarious!

But I found, as in the first movie, the scenes with Gandalf and his magic were a tad on the bizzare side -- the scene in which Gandalf saves Theoden was a bit heavy on the melodrama.

I just borrowed LOTR1 from a friend, and it's even better than I remember it!