"Booked Solid" -- Extra Content!

"Booked Solid" -- Extra Content!

Postby Matt Trepal on Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:18 am

Well, as I promised, here's the bonus content (or, rather, a link to it), my three-page story from the KeenSpace Spotlight 2002 book that was passed out in San Diego this year.

I know there isn't much to this first update, but it's just the top half of the first page. But, see, it IS colored! ;)
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:44 am

Can't wait to read the rest, man. And if it's a grimore, I assume Portia begged her friends to come along so she could claim it ;) Oh, and on the R&N in Furcadia --- MIRC claimed my soul; it might be a while before I get it back up for any length of time unless you and NeilWeasel over there *pokes the Cap'n* drop in with a bunch of your friends :)
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:18 pm

Stalks-The-Wind's-Shadows wrote:Can't wait to read the rest, man.

Thanks! Without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, I really busted my hump to do this, and it came out as some of the best stuff I've done. It was also really well received by some of the other people in the book whose opinions I respect a great deal. And beyond that, it was a great deal of fun (but also a lot of work). I think it also contributed to some increased readership, which was, of course, the whole point.

Is there anybody out there who got introduced to FCE by picking the book up at ComicCon?
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby CaptainSpam on Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:10 am

Hey, looks groovy thus far, Matt. Makes me wanna do something for the Spotlight, except I have a hard time constraining a plot to three pages and I lack the cash to make something big. :-)

And I like the coloring so far. Very nice job!
- CaptainSpam
The Dementia of Magic - Somewhere between Tolkien and Monty Python.
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:10 am

Thanks, Cap'n! I think you'll like the rest, too.

Yeah, the Spotlight's a lot of work, and I really fretted over the script and panel layout. But it turned out to be SO worth it!
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:43 am

Finally page 2 is up. Poor Stillwell. For once it's his time to show what he can do, and... "Sorry, Yerzle, the locks are magically bound."

You're so mean, Matt :D

On an unrelated note my Ram and Noodle place might be staying down for the forseeable future, and not because the program had a serious hardware fart. My gaming group is, well, regrouping, and I converted Portia and Yerzle to 3rd Edition rules. Portia'd kill me if she saw where I was taking her character sheet... the Underdark is not a healthy place ;)

I'll shut up now. Can't wait for the rest of this story :)
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:48 pm

Stalks-The-Wind's-Shadows wrote:Finally page 2 is up. Poor Stillwell. For once it's his time to show what he can do, and... "Sorry, Yerzle, the locks are magically bound."

You're so mean, Matt :D

Oh, don't worry, this isn't the only chance he gets. In fact, what he does later is much more important!

Stalks-The-Wind's-Shadows wrote:On an unrelated note my Ram and Noodle place might be staying down for the forseeable future, and not because the program had a serious hardware fart. My gaming group is, well, regrouping, and I converted Portia and Yerzle to 3rd Edition rules. Portia'd kill me if she saw where I was taking her character sheet... the Underdark is not a healthy place ;)

I'll shut up now. Can't wait for the rest of this story :)

Translated to a ranger and a magic-user, eh? Are they still anthro animals, or another one of the standard D&D races?

I keep meaning to get the Viewer's Guide up so that people can actually use some of the info I've come up with (map, pantheon, history, culture) in a gaming session if they want.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:38 pm

Portia as a Sorceress, specialization Evocation (I rolled SO poorly on her HP it's not funny); Yerzle as a Rogue, actually. Yerz seems to have that personality to pick up the "dashing rogue" type, and I don't envision him as actually fighting with two weapons at once, despite his Ranger training I'd assume :P And besides, he's hung out enough with Stillwill to pick up a few tips, by now... :)
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:54 am

Great Work Matt!

I want MORE! :D

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainSpam on Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:46 am

Typo, Matt... check the link on the front page, it tries to link to "spotight.html", not "spotlight.html"...

There's just some times that it disturbs me that Stillwell effectively picks things up with his schnozz, even if he IS an elephant. But hey, it's all in good fun. :-)
- CaptainSpam
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:02 am

CaptainSpam wrote:<small>Typo, Matt... check the link on the front page...</small>

Yeah, I saw that this morning. Sorry. Unfortunately, I'm at work and so won't be able to fix it until I get home. And since tonight is laundry night (really needed, BTW ;)), that won't be until around 7:30 or 8:00. But obviously you found it anyway!

As for Stillwell's use of his trunk, you can't really expect him pick anything up with those stubby arms of his, can you? And what good is having a prehensile nose if you don't use it?
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:22 pm

Still, it's a unique way. You have to imagine ol' Stilly trying to finesse a combo lock. I can see it happening. A regular key lock though... *shrugs*
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:14 pm

Here's the fourth page of "Booked Solid," which I promised to have up long before Friday evening, but.... Eh, what are you gonna do?

Now, Stalks, see? Stillwell's showing his usefullness now! :wink:
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby CaptainSpam on Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:56 am

Are we there yet?
- CaptainSpam
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:15 am

No, not yet.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:57 pm

Are we there yet?
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainSpam on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:22 pm

No, not yet.
- CaptainSpam
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:08 pm

I've been working on my new Keenspace book submission, so I thought I'd post the first part here. Or the linework, at least. Here you go:

This story will eventually be posted on the site, but not until after Comic-Con, when the books are passed out. The books will also be distributed for Free Comic Book Day, which corresponds with the release of X-Men 2, but I don't have a definite date for that. Bug your comic shop owner to order it along with the most recent Image tripe!
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12701 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:29 am

Heh. I'm already hooked :) Maybe you should have a contest to fill in the speech bubbles ;)
ZOMBIE USER 12701
Regular Poster

Return to Fight Cast Or Evade