Standard Topic #23489: Soundtrack.

Standard Topic #23489: Soundtrack.

Postby KathleenJ on Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:06 pm

Partially because there's been a distinct lack of topics actually relating to my comic. Hee, meh. It's always been like that.
Anyway, the question is - what songs would you put on a Coolville sountrack?
So, give it some thought. Discuss.
I'm curious.
(We had a topic like this a long time ago, but if I recall right, few if any people that were around back then are still here with any regularity.)
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dalhar on Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:14 am

Don't know. Some local bands could fit, but I'm sure you don't know'em.
Kings of Convenience have made a name for itself lately, but don't know. This is local band stuff, not much in the direction of the globally exploitable. That's a honor of course, but ach.

OTOH, really liked the two last strips. It's great to see Denny having a good time for once, the sand colours are just so great for this. And Kris, she is being an optimist, isn't she?
But Teresa, is she wearing herself out for the good of others? Great thing to do, in a way, but there's a definite plus to make things last.
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Hard Rock Saves the Space

Postby Al_fayyed on Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:52 am

The Coolville Soundtrack, eh?

Much as I would like a techno/death metal/rap backing track on everything, making life sound like a crummy Jet Li film, Coolville is not best served by making the primary theme a variant on Zombie Nation's "Kernkraft 400," or NERD's "Lapdance."

With a more disciplined approach, I'd suggest a musical theme in the vein of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, and the other "working man" rockers.

I think Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane," Springsteen's new album, and some of Van Morrison when I read Coolville.

- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
"Oooh baby you want me?
Oooh baby you want me?
Oooh baby you want me?
Well you can get this lap dance here for free."
NERD, "Lapdance"
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:56 pm

Three words:

Flock of Seagulls
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby Justinpie on Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:17 am

To me the strongest part of Coolville is its characters, so I'd envision something more like a theme song befitting each character, like George Lucas did in Star Wars.

Justinpie
Regular Poster

Postby Dalhar on Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:32 pm

Good idea to pick something for each character, makes things much easier. We're closing in..

Now where did I put my old CD stack brain?

JPD:
Rammstein gave me an idea. It's party music really but it reminds me of another band with a similar sound.
Laibach.
Mostly known as part of a Slovakian art collective during the old Tsjekkoslovakian war. Industrial pop Some blamed them for being nazis, others caught the irony and perhaps anarchists were a better term but really just artists trying to survive emotionally, being conscripted into a particilarly nasty and chaotic war. Neighbours kill neighbours, genocide, mass rape, etcetera. Eight years, or were it nine?
Some of their stuff can be listened to, like "Kapital", it's just classic adjusting to the regime with a bite to it.
Others, like their twenty-minute version of Macbeth, well one of the nicer parts give me this mental image of children playing with tanks during a day's break, hanging onto the cannon swiveling like it was a merry-go-round. Some of their other stuff isn't even coherent.
Or perhaps something else in the sometimes daringly psychotic space between experimantal / indsutrial pop/rock and art music. Einst
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:15 pm

Hey, these are good suggestions, (and hey, Flock of Seagulls has that retro charm! Gah, "I Ran" was one of the songs they used to play when I worked in a department store.)
Absolutely, I can see where you're coming from, Akhmed...the comic's generally got that kind of flavor a lot of the time. I usually also have the urge to give everything a heavy, dark soundtrack too. But I could totally see the general musical theme going in the direction of more stripped down, straight up, yet slightly melancholic, plain ol' rock.
Justin, you mentioned a whole slew of things I personally really like (with the exception of "I Get Knocked Down"!). For the record, my personal taste can be described with the semi-meaningless word "alternative", branching out into rock, grunge, folk, industrial, metal, punk, whatever.
I like the idea of giving each character their own theme song.
Dalhar, I just went on a search mission for the stuff you mentioned, but no luck. Really interesting, cause I'm always interested in new music to check out that's outside the North American mainstream. I'll try again later. (What's that? No, I hardly ever download music illegally! Only on days that end in "y").
I found some of it, but was thwarted. There was an abundance of Laibach, but no "Macbeth", and nothing else without an absurdly long download time (and I was curious to hear their cover of "Jesus Christ Superstar"!).
All I could find for "Car Crash" was the Our Lady Peace song of the same name, and car crash sound effects, and the next two you mentioned, I couldn't find a trace of.
The search brought up four songs by Postgirobygget, but they were all unavailable, and not in English. A shame, cause I was curious.
Hee, slightly off topic, one time Matthew and I were randomly downloading songs, and we somehow ended up with what we think was a Norweigian comedy routine.
Anyways, I digress. These suggestions were good.
What I should really do is come back here with another post of my own sonic suggestions.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kalmazoo702 on Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:30 pm

Youp Van't Hek, you mean. This Norwegian comedy...guy...talks and sings in Norwegian. One of his routines is "Flappie". It could be obscene. I have no idea.
http://thecity.keenspace.com - Gorbachev, psychosis, and orange juice, oh my!

I like pie, and so should you
Kalmazoo702
Regular Poster

Postby Dalhar on Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:46 am

Err. "Youp Van't Hek" sounds very .. dutch.. to me.
Search.. yep. The netherlands. http://www.youpie.nl/

No offense, most people don't even hear the difference between norwegian and german, even though it's no easier to learn than english. Dutch is actually closest to the scandinavian language(s) and I guess ub many wayse culturewise too so it's not that bad a miss.

I'm not sure how norwegian humor is. Could you tell me about your unitedstatesian respective canadian humor?

Onto Kat's reply:
Laibach / Macbeth:
Check the complete discography, it's listed under "albums". Seems like they like to focus on some of the more recent stuff, I haven't been following. Also check their label, Mute Records, for some short samples.

Found "car crash" on the "nervous systems" compilation CD from mute, don't remember who made it bit no doubt someone in their stall.

Postgirobygget sings in norwgian so no luck there I'm afraid.

But for something perhaps more constructive..
Kings of Convenience could perhaps have a candidate for the Coolville strip as a whole. Don't like how their marketing right now, liked it much better when magazines asked for how they got started and they told a different story each time, one stranger than the other. (Instead of just the boring old "lots of effort".) Well, guess they got caught, but.. Ah. The site has samples.

If anybody wants more of the "Bergen wave", which actually does quite well in London nowadays, check out their links. Tell
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby Dalhar on Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:54 am

Oh, and on a wholly different foot:

Been reading Bruno lately, a somewhat perhaps harsher version of coolville. Still thinks coolville's the best, but.. It's quite a read, and I think, worth it.
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby Justinpie on Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:55 am

In North America, there's generally two ends of the spectrum where humor is concerned. There's the more base level physical humor, which is generally poop and fart jokes, or like, somebody slipping on a banana peel. Jerry Lewis and Jim Carrey perfected this, which sort of cursed them into lives that only gave them success if they continued with pratfalls and foppery.

The opposite end is situational irony, like in cartoons when somebody locks Droopy in a closet, then gets in a car and Droopy's already sitting there. Recently there's been a trend towards dark humor by way of irony, like in Gift of the Magi, where the characters lose because of the irony. Britain is generally more refined and poignant with their irony than the Americas, but since humor is relative, the majority of us don't care.

For some reason, Robin Williams can win awards for both types of humor, but not many others can.
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:54 pm

I totally forgot about this song (even though it was part of my canadian childhood)

"The Littlest Hobo theme"

The forum has been re-opened.....for a while
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:00 pm

I totally forgot about this topic!
...wasn't the Littlest Hobo a dog or something? Meh, it works!
And (going way back!) I'm pretty sure that Dutch comedian guy must have been mislabeled as Norwegian when we downloaded it. Or else maybe we came to the conclusion he was from Norway for no reason at all, which is idiotic but possible.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Return to Coolville