New reader with a bit of important news

New reader with a bit of important news

Postby Hallan on Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:42 am

I started reading this strip a few weeks ago and really liked it. However, there is one section of the strip with which I have a very severe problem. That section is when Jack and Cecil (among others) take shelter from a tornado under an overpass for 'protection'. Speaking as a meteorology major who's done some research on the topic, there's something I felt compelled to tell you...

This protection is a MYTH. Sheltering underneath an overpass is the WORST of your choices if you're outside in a tornado. (Truth be told, if you're outside in a tornado, ALL your choices are bad, but under an overpass is without a doubt the worst choice. Personally, I'd sooner try to ride it out in my CAR.) I have included two different weblinks, one from USA Today, and the other from the National Weather Service, detailing WHY this is such a bad idea.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/tornado/wtoverpas.htm

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/papers/overpass.html

Courteously yours,
Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:37 pm

Howdy Hallan!

Welcome aboard! :D

Yes, you're very right. Sheltering under an overpass is NOT a good idea.
At the time I was doing that part of the story, I had a couple readers
point that out. At the time, I posted up similar links to the ones you
did, trying to point out that I got it wrong.

At the time, the Weather channel kept running the same clip over and over and over of the people running under the overpass as a tornado approached, and that's where I got the idea. After folks pointed out that this is a BIG mistake that can get you killed, I re-wrote the
story so that they left the overpass.

So, if you all ever wondered, yeah, I do listen very closely to folks when they say I got something wrong.

Hmm.. I had been under the impression I'd left a message in the archives that hiding under an overpass is not a good idea. That must have disappeared when I moved the site. I'll have to put that back in.
Thanks for pointing that out! I certainly don't wish to contribute to
the myth! :oops:

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Re: New reader with a bit of important news

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:48 pm

Hallan wrote:This protection is a MYTH.
Hello, Hallan, and welcome to the late 21st Century. ;)

Indeed your observation is correct. But I can point out, in Mr. Kellogg's defense, that he writes what people do, not necessarily what it is smart for them to do. You'll see other things from time to time that will cause you to think "Boy, that was a mistake!"

And you'll be right.

But there is a distinction between a mistake by the artist and a mistake by a character in his story.

All of that having been said, as Scott pointed out he does not want to perpetuate dangerous myths. Hey, who said a myth was a good as a mile? ;)
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Hallan on Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:05 pm

*holds up his hands to show they're empty of flames*

I meant no attack in posting this. Being a new reader, I did not know of the changes Mr. Kellogg had made to the strip, and am quite happy that he did. My capitalization was for emphasis, not for anger.

I merely felt that this was concern that had to be addressed. I checked back through the archives to see if there was a topic that had already addressed it and could not find one, so I took it upon myself to do so.

Thank you, Mr. Kellogg for your gracious reply. I, too, have seen that video clip many times. Just within the last month, I saw it featured on a show featuring tornados, and was quite shocked to find that they did not mention the dangers of such a choice. I have talked to people on the street, and have found this myth to still be quite alive. Thus, I do my best to spread the truth where I can. Again, I meant no affront in doing so.

Respectfully,
Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:49 pm

Hallan wrote:*holds up his hands to show they're empty of flames*

:D

No offence meant, and none taken. 8)

I really did think that there were still the disclaimers about
"Don't do this" in there, because you're absolutely right
about it being a very bad myth. Now that I see they're not in
there, I'll fix it.

Well... I think I'll fix it after I get some sleep. :)

Goodnight! And again, welcome aboard!

Scott
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:55 am

Hallan wrote:I meant no attack in posting this.
And none were intended in my response. I sound like this all the time. (Well, sometimes it rhymes -- but I still sound the same. ;)

I live in California, where there is a similar (and similarly wrong) notion about earthquakes and doorways. During a significant 'quake, the door flexing and building motion can result in the door doing a high-speed "flap/slamming" which is a little tough on a person intending to occupy the same space.

You and I are simply fellow readers of 21st Century Fox. I've seen your moniker elsewhere, I think; we seem to have some other strips in common.

I do often find myself wanting to "coach" a character in a strip or story: "No, don't tell her that! It's the wrong thing to say!" I've probably felt this most strongly with the excellent 'Zig Zag the Story' by James Bruner. It isn't that the author is wrong; one of his characters is making a mistake.

Scott Kellogg has indicated above that he's going to go back and make the tornados v. overpasses warnings clear. That's good.

And I suspect that saying the wrong thing to your loved one at the wrong time may be responsible for even more human misery than hiding under overpasses during tornados... Ah, well.

And now that I'm doing a bit of writing, I'm finding the same thing happening to me. ;)

Again, welcome aboard!
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Hallan on Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:48 am

LevelHead wrote:I live in California, where there is a similar (and similarly wrong) notion about earthquakes and doorways. During a significant 'quake, the door flexing and building motion can result in the door doing a high-speed "flap/slamming" which is a little tough on a person intending to occupy the same space.

Huh. I did not know that. Thanks. :)

Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby Hortmage on Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:45 am

And the LevelHeaded dragon did levelly say:

Indeed your observation is correct. But I can point out, in Mr. Kellogg's defense, that he writes what people do, not necessarily what it is smart for them to do. You'll see other things from time to time that will cause you to think "Boy, that was a mistake!"

I agree with LH. I think the entire FreeFall comic is based on that premise.

Instead of "WWJD", I use "WWSD" (What Would Sam Do?) -- and then do the opposite!
Hortmage, The Magic Gardener
Making Environmental Education Fun AND Magical!
Hortmage
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:56 pm

LevelHead wrote:I live in California, where there is a similar (and similarly wrong) notion about earthquakes and doorways. During a significant 'quake, the door flexing and building motion can result in the door doing a high-speed "flap/slamming" which is a little tough on a person intending to occupy the same space.

Let's see if I've got it right. In a quake, stand in the doorway except when you'ld be in the door's way.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Hallan on Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:01 pm

I saw the new label on the Oct. 3, 2000 strip, Mr. Kellogg. Thank you.

One question: Are those supposed to be links, or just text?

Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:08 pm

Hallan wrote:I saw the new label on the Oct. 3, 2000 strip, Mr. Kellogg. Thank you.

One question: Are those supposed to be links, or just text?

Hi Hallan, yup, my mistake. :oops:

They were supposed to be links to the pages you gave.
I'll fix that. Silly HTML. Looks like I goofed on the cut
and paste. Those links are on all the strips where they're
actually under the overpass. Hopefully, the disclaimer will
be visible to those skimming through.

Anyway, the fix should go in in a couple hours!

Thanks for keeping me honest! :oops:

Scott
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox