Talk about the story

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Talk about the story

Post by Bluebug »

I'll be the first to admit that the story has been going extremely slowly. I've been disappointed with the storyline so far, but honestly, I think that the appearance of the Kurenai Mashin will make it all better. So far, all of the characters are pretty subtle, and they're all pretty slow to act. That's my excuse anyway. I can't come up with anything better at the moment :P But there will soon be an actual story to rant about, I promise!!
Last edited by Bluebug on Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

Its okay....my story is going a bit slow also still....
I think intros for characters and trying to convey their personalities make things a bit slow. The beginnings to any good story can be slow....I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Bluebug
Regular Poster

website

Post by Bluebug »

Well, actually, this first part was only supposed to take about 10 pages! I think I just got too carried away with doing all the drawings.

What's your site address by the way??

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

You could just click on the button that has 'website'
Well, I'm Nora from Shards of Kryn. I guess I should have mentioned that.

http://shards.drowtales.com

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Kryn

Post by Bluebug »

Clicking on the website link would be the intelligent thing to do, wouldn't it?? :roll: I really liked Cylene and Nydaria, they were really cute and funny. I think you've really captured their personalities well in their dialogue and their expressions. But you seemed to have switched to a different part of the story, so I can't really comment on that yet because you've just started on that part.

My only complaint is that the last page is really hard to read, because the white doesn't really show up well on that complex background. I guess I also have the same comment that other people have given me -- put more events on each page. But I assume that since your comic is fairly new, you're just taking time to establish the characters and setting, so not too much has happened yet -- which is also the case for my comic.

Any suggestions for my comic?

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

You know it was really difficult to find a grayscale color without blotting out the back ground. I didn't want to much of it gone, like it would for with a box or something. I gave it shadow of black also. I'll tinker with photoshop and see if it can do better.
Also, I had recently realised that I didn't put enough on each page. That'll be changing in the next couple pages.

Well, I just want to say that what first attracted me to your comic was its drawing style. It is soo good! It's really rare for me to find an anime style I like to see. Some are too chibi or too ugly for me. How'd you learn?
I just pratice. Also, what sort of anime did you copy to get started?
Sometimes, it reflects in a person's own drawing.
For example, I used to copy Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo and Magic Knights. I can see some Tenchi Muyo in mine.

As I began reading the comic, I liked it even better. Some well drawn comics are usually too... pointless. Stories that are so very redundant. Yours is very orginal. And a plus for me is that it is fantasy.

There's really little suggestions for it on my part. Your story is now rolling, so I can't say its slow. I mean, look how slow mine is! One question though, if Turo is an elf, where are his ears?

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Post by Bluebug »

Heheh. Turo has really ( :P really thick) hair, and it's relatively long. Long enough to cover up his ears, anyway. I explained in one comic that Pokata was always dragging him off by his ears when he did something she didn't like, so he decided to hide his ears behind his hair. Turo's lack of visible ears actually was important to the story at one point, but I've changed the story a little so that's no longer relevant. So now Turo's stuck with no ears :P!!

I never really copied any anime. That is, I've never actually drawn any anime fanart. I have copied Disney, however, so my past sketch books are filled with Bambi and stuff like that. I sort of wished that I had copied anime, because I think that's the only way I could learn how to draw the stuff really distinctive of anime, such as gorgeous anime hair!! But now I'm just trying to concentrate on drawing KM.

Actually, the first way I learned how to draw anime was copying one of my peer's anime drawings. We were trying to make an anime movie, but only one of us could actually draw anime characters that were good enuf to be in an animated movie. I hadn't even heard of anime back then, and so had no idea how to draw it. So I just ended up copying her drawings and tweaking them to make new characters. Yeah, I was pretty cheap back then :P But after that, I got obsessed with anime.

But I think the anime series that has influenced my style a lot has been Rurouni Kenshin. Part of the storyline was influenced by RK too, as well as the earlier character designs.

Thanx for the compliments! Sometimes I'm not even sure people like my manga, since, for one thing, no one is writing in the forum except you and Kim. So I get very little feedback and hardly anyone votes for me on the Top 33 manga.

But I'll stop whining now and get back to drawing tomorrow's comic!! :lol:

SailorOutlawstar

Post by SailorOutlawstar »

Yes go slave away at the next comic page!!

Little or no feedback, I know how that feels *sigh* Oh well, I vote for you at least once a week(Unless I forget to visit your site ^^;;; on a week) on Top 33! People don't give a lot of feedback, because they are wierd! But when ever I threaten to take Colisto down, I get a bunch of feedback ::grin:: I am probly going to take Colisto offline in fall, if everything continues the way it is going now, and work on Pandamondium. If no one gives feedback should consiter doing a different manga on with a different story that people may appeal to people more. For you though I think once your story picks up more people will like it more(I'm slow with my story too).

How many hits a day do you get nowdays?

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Post by Bluebug »

I get 30+ hits on my page/day, but not much feedback. So I don't know if people who read it actually like it or not. I mean, guessing from the lack of feedback, my comic is relatively mediocre, so no one has anything to say about it. At least that's how I feel. But I hope you're right -- when the story picks up ppl might feel more inclined to give me feedback.

Friday's comic should quicken the pace a little bit. Let me know what you think of it. I really tried hard to add more things onto this page, so more things are happening in it. And I tried to use different perspectives in each frame. Plus I added Shaina! Though she isn't really doing much :P

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

Don't worry, I've got a forum too and hardly anyone ever gives me any real feedback either, except for things I can't do anything about until I try again..

If you want more hits, perhaps you should link exchange more, do fanart or guest pages..
I really haven't tried fanart or guestpages because I'm busy enough trying to make my own comic better. It's kind of hard and I've never really been a fanart person either. When I copy, it would be certain parts of the face or body and I had my own character to it.

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

Don't worry, I've got a forum too and hardly anyone ever gives me any real feedback either, except for things I can't do anything about until I try again..

If you want more hits, perhaps you should link exchange more, do fanart or guest pages..
I really haven't tried fanart or guestpages because I'm busy enough trying to make my own comic better. It's kind of hard and I've never really been a fanart person either. When I copy, it would be certain parts of the face or body and I had my own character to it.

Bluebug
Regular Poster

Post by Bluebug »

Well, I guess it's an average of about 55 hits now. But seeing as how you have almost 3000 in two months, I'm guessing you get way more than that ^^ How many hits do you get per day?
If you're looking for some fan art I'll be happy to do one for you when I find the time! Oh, and how's the web site design with Dreamweaver coming?

BTW, where's your forum, I can't find it

Phantasy

Post by Phantasy »

I have no wonderful idea how many hits I get a day. I'm sure that if you look at how many you had in all, it would be around the same as me.
Don't worry about the fanart. ^_^

I got rid of Dreamsweaver. I have enough programs on my comp. I didn't want to bother with it and I guess I'll just stick to notepad....

My forum is where is says Drowtales Community on the top o the main page? Go to drowtales sections and then forums. Go there and look for the title of my comic. That's my forum. I should put my own link to that shouldn't I? Think I'll do that...