Accuracy

Accuracy

Postby Ciaan on Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:09 pm

Well, I have to admit I was worried for a bit when I first saw this. So many people like to talk about mythologies, and write stories of them, without knowing very much. And I wasn't entirely sure you knew what you were talking about, but looking over the forum I get the impression that you have done a lot of research, and that many of the things that aren't exactly accurate are deliberate choices.
Although some other people have posted some sketchy information here (like that dealy bob about the Anunnaki being aliens... I've seen that before, and it's full of the worst types of cross-cultural mush).
Why do I care, and why do I think I have any ability to judge? Because I just spent the last year doing my senior thesis thingie (although, if you've heard of Hampshire College, you'll know that a Division 3 is much bigger than a senior thesis) on Sumerian religion. Now, there are a lot of differences between Sumerian and Babylonian stuff, and so on, but still, I do care.
Although, I must say, I never really imagined Namtar looking like a rat....
Anyhow, I'm interested to see what happens later on, and what you do with all the material.
<a href="http://www.dioramacomics.com">Diorama Comics</a> - a comics self-publishing collective
Ciaan
Regular Poster

yay finally

Postby Elven2 on Sat May 04, 2002 12:45 pm

I can finally get in. O joy. As to the above comment on mythology in many ways one has to be flexible with mythology when it comes to liturature. Unless the liturature is a serious interpretation things are always up for personal style. Besides I like him as a rat. Rat's are great. There's a few myth gods that would work as wonderful animal counterparts. Hmm loki as a weasel. :wink:
Elven2

Postby Misha on Tue May 21, 2002 1:30 pm

Well, I'm glad that we've managed not to offend too badly so far on the accuracy count. Yes, we know the Namtar thing is a liberty, but we hope to explain the discrepancy eventually. After all, it has been thousands of years. ^-^

Please bear with us.
Michelle Thatcher<P><A HREF="http://utukki.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Utukki</A>
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Misha
Regular Poster

I can see why Namtar is a rat-type...

Postby Armament Armed Arm on Wed May 29, 2002 4:59 am

After all, he's the god of disease. And rats are VERY effective disease vectors...
Armament Armed Arm
Regular Poster

Postby Ciaan on Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:31 am

misha wrote:Well, I'm glad that we've managed not to offend too badly so far on the accuracy count. Yes, we know the Namtar thing is a liberty, but we hope to explain the discrepancy eventually. After all, it has been thousands of years. ^-^

Please bear with us.

No, I hope I didn't offend you. What I was saying, mainly, is that there's a difference between liberties and mistakes; liberties are deliberate, and mean that someone knows what they're talking about. And hey, all art needs liberties.
<a href="http://www.dioramacomics.com">Diorama Comics</a> - a comics self-publishing collective
Ciaan
Regular Poster

Postby Misha on Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:23 am

Well, there are some 'liberties' of the 'I researched as hard as I could but didn't find any useful information so I'm going to make stuff up' variety, and some of the 'liberties' are of the 'I know this is wildly inaccurate, but gosh, it makes a good story so I'll lie' variety. But like I said once before, if you can't prove it ain't strictly true, it's 'research,' and if you can, it's a 'liberty.'

This is fun. :wink:
Misha
Regular Poster

Ancient History Major

Postby Caitirin on Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:25 am

I for one was just pretty impressed that this comic existed. I'm an Ancient history major and I thought it was pretty darn shibby to read this one. Even if there could be a few variants to a strictly scholarly take on it, and heck ^_^ it's a webcomic. It's allowed. I particularly liked the interpretation of Utnapishtim. I liked the way he was drawn.

My Applause :D
Caitirin

Return to Utukki