Home Fries too vanilla?

Home Fries too vanilla?

Postby Scatman on Wed May 29, 2002 10:32 am

I hope this gets posted. I know there have been lots of problems with the forum, and I'm grateful you've stuck it out. I've been fishing for more feedback on Home Fries. I know the humor tends towards the sweet, and while that's not always a bad thing, it's not what I originally envisioned. I guess I started out conservatively, and it was hard to break the pattern. So my question is: is the humor so sweet as to lack zip or flavor? If so, what are some ideas for character development and interaction that would spice things up? I won't make this post too long because there's a good chance it won't show up because of continuing forum problems. But if you're reading this, things may be okay now, so please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Scatman
Regular Poster

Sweet is flavor.

Postby Yupyop/m on Fri May 31, 2002 4:58 pm

Why worry about it?
I liked today's gag. It's nice to see Lester occasionally end up on the wrong side of the gag. It makes the strip less predictable.
What is so bad about being sweet? All the average reader wants is you to make them laugh. And if you can do it without offending anyone that is even better. PEANUTS was a sweet strip and it did ok. I think HF's humor is slice of life. All you should worry about is it funny and is it "real".
Yupyop/m

Postby ThrobbinJohnny on Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:23 am

Yup's right. As long as your humor stems from your characters, you'll be fine. HF is a family strip, so edgy toons aren't exactly a good fit. Today's indecent proposal toon was good, but any edgier would seem forced, IJO. Home Fries is NOT Sinfest, afterall...

"IJO
ThrobbinJohnny

Can't force edginess

Postby Scatman on Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:03 pm

I'm glad you guys feel that the characters are developing and driving the humor a little bit. I know I also have to be comfortable with my own style of humor. Fifteen years ago, when I was in college, I would have taken a completely different approach to the humor. Back then I enjoyed shaking people out of their complacency. That's a nice way of saying that I was frequently obnoxious. But obnoxious and sophomoric may be great at a college party, but I'm 35 now, and if I tried the same approach to humor now, it wouldn't work. It would be a little sad. I have to do what I'm comfortable with, and hope my humor finds sympathetic readers.

I'm glad you guys have found your way back to the forum. Let's keep it going.
Scatman
Regular Poster

Return to Home Fries