Fanfiction.Net and their Mass Fic-icide

Postby Crow_Servo on Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:55 am

No more MST'S?!?
Says who?
How could they?
How could they do that, and NOT reject all those original poems that make no sense (I'm going to get a reproachful glare from all those original poets now... meh...) and, as Reed said, all those fics starring the bane of human existence besides Calculus and teenyboppers; "Boy Bands"?
I've seen very clever and well-written MST's (which, sadly, is a category mine do not fit into) on Fanfiction.net, and it really is an unhappy day to see them go.
For anyone else who finds themselves in my same (slightly tipsy) boat, I suggest Mystery Octagon Theater (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/80982, click on the "Theater" button), or the MSTing stylings of Neo Vid, e X ! L e, and their entire gang of loons on DMGIce's "Oddish".

Here's hoping Fanfiction.net changes their minds. Before I have to get the plasma cannon and blast them off their fancy-pants, too-good-for-MST's, high-horse myself.

~Crow

"It's like COmedy Central and Sci Fi Channel... all over again..."
~Me, after reading Fanfiction.net's announcement

Keep circulating the tapes.
Indeed.
Crow_Servo
Regular Poster

Location: Servo's chew toy... which looks just like the Satellite of Love!

Postby Reed 5150 on Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:47 pm

Here are the new restrictions, for those of you who want to be knowing:

Entries not allowed:
1.Lists. (which include "Top 10 ...", "Reasons why ...", and etc.)
2.Announcements (which includes polls, previews, prologues, excerpts, challenges, author Notes (put them in the stories) , question and answers, rants, opinions, reviews, thank you notes and etc.)
3. One or two liners
4. MSTs, a form of entry where a previously written story is copied word for word with comments inserted in between the flow of the original story.
5. Actor stories: stories revolving around the real actors that portrayed fictional roles in tv shows or movies.

The others are no brainers, so I won't post them here. But here's what I don't get: they forbid MST's, but they'll let fangirls have their own private fanfic orgies with Backstreet Boys/N'Sync slash fanfiction.
When MSTs are done right, they're the funniest things in the world: the authors of good stories who get MST'd love them. On the flip side, people who should learn how to use a dictionary get the scorn they so richly deserve.
Stupid Comics: yes, it does suck.
Do not meddle in the ways of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Reed 5150
Regular Poster

Location: Magicant, where your fantasies manifest themselves as clinically depressed random encounter monsters

Postby Crow_Servo on Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:35 pm

MSTing by its very nature is flaming and essentially ripping a work of fiction to shreds, but if pulled off correctly, it's so elegantly done that it tickles even the victim's funny bone.
I can understand deleting the ridiculously biased MST's (I've seen a few... they're not pretty... and worse, not funny), but this seems an awful lot like chucking out the baby with the bathwater.
If they don't have the time to edit them because of "time and bandwidth constraints", I'm sure they could find avid MSTers willing to sift through the bullcookies to find the ones that keep the show's memory alive. Myself included.
Does anyone know how to reach the moderators at Fanfiction.net to try and persuade them otherwise? (And you KNOW it must be important if I'M actually getting off my lazy butt to ask what I can do to save it).

... Keep circulating the tapes.

~Crow
"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated."
~... Well, I think the speaker's rather obvious, don't you? One of a million Borg.
Indeed.
Crow_Servo
Regular Poster

Postby DukeNuke on Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:48 pm

Well, fanfiction.net may be doing that, but not AndThen. Although I'm considering having it required that the MST comments be put in italics, so that it's separated from the actual story.

Mystery Spub Theater
Duke. Call me Duke.

<A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ego/andthen/" TARGET=_blank>Andthen...Fanfiction</A> Ah. Fanfic Paradise!

"There's a riddle. What's round on the end and HIIIIGGHHHH in the middle?"-Brak
"Uh, I know this. Switzerland?"-Zorak
"NO! It's O-hi-o-hi-o!"-Brak
DukeNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Crow_Servo on Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:45 am

I know... most sites are fine with the MST's. It's just how Fanfiction.net, one of the biggest fanfic databases around, very noticeably *isn't*.
... *sigh*
Unfortunately, one angry MSTer isn't nearly enough to change their minds.
I'll poke around on "AndThen" later, Duke - see if there's any easy targets there. Maybe I can get the MSTers' crate out again... With permission, of course.

~Crow
"I have not yet begun to fight!"
Indeed.
Crow_Servo
Regular Poster

Postby DukeNuke on Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:49 pm

Lesse if this will actually go through.

I submitted about 1/3 of my Pok
Duke. Call me Duke.

<A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ego/andthen/" TARGET=_blank>Andthen...Fanfiction</A> Ah. Fanfic Paradise!

"There's a riddle. What's round on the end and HIIIIGGHHHH in the middle?"-Brak
"Uh, I know this. Switzerland?"-Zorak
"NO! It's O-hi-o-hi-o!"-Brak
DukeNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Reed 5150 on Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:34 pm

Well, they decided to delete both my MSTs and generally give me cr*p about violating the rules, even though both were written before the ban came into effect.
Of course, they haven't deleted every fic in the "Music Groups" section yet. In fact, it doesn't look like they're touching that one with a ten foot pole.
Lazy hypocrites. I'm STILL missing how Backstreet Boys/N'Sync shounen ai are allowed when MSTs are not. Aren't they actors fondling themselves? Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?
Stupid Comics: yes, it does suck.
Do not meddle in the ways of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Reed 5150
Regular Poster

Location: Magicant, where your fantasies manifest themselves as clinically depressed random encounter monsters

Return to Stupid Comics