No new GU?

Postby Woody_Hearn on Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:30 am

That's right... apparently I got a rather nasty virus, and my computers will likely be down for a while. I have no idea how long. That means... no new GU's until I'm back up and running again. Hell, I can't even update the front page to let everyone know.

**sighs**

Ever feel like you need a vacation?

EDIT:
I've tracked it down... W32.Klez.E@mm it is a mass mailer, so if you receive a strange email from me, don't open it. It's a security hole in Outlook and Outlook Express. Make sure you have the current updates for these. Also make sure you have the most recent virus definitions available by whatever anti-virus software you're running. It is also within reason for me to assume that this virus came from cawatson@bsu.edu, not intentionally sent I assure, but that's one of only 3 email addresses that I do NOT know what the attachment is. It should also be noted that the attachment file type is random... and PASSED my anti-virus detection. Anywho...blah blah blah... just bare with me as I try to get this corrected. I have lost ALL .txt,.html, and .jpg files on my computer to corruption. Tomorrow is going to be a very LONG ver INTERESTING day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-06 05:18 ]</font>
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Ancarett on Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:40 am

Awful news, Woody! All my sympathies. Want us to hunt down the evildoers and feed them to some drixies?
Ancarett

Postby Houma on Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:22 am

Please refer to my latest post in the favorite /gu string for my thoughts on this latest development.

*sigh's and kicks the latest 3|337 |-|4c|<3r for doing this*

*sigh's again, with releif this time due to the fact that he's forgotten the |337 speech*

*sigh's again, only with dismay this time since he remembers the |337 string on the old /gu board*

*sigh's one more time, with evil glee since he not only made everyone remember the other string but dragged his post out longer than the other one he's already reffered too*

MUAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

doughnut
Houma Enabeltsirb
"If Paly's get two flaming swords, can't mine glow? Just a little? Please... durnit."
Houma

Postby Takara on Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:38 am

On 2002-03-06 04:30, Woody_Hearn wrote:
Ever feel like you need a vacation?

One vacation coming up! *snurgles Woody*

P.S. Check your Private Messages!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Takara on 2002-03-06 08:45 ]</font>
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Kanid on Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:54 am

I count myself as one of the lucky ones. I've been in computing since 1980, I've owned computers since 1982, I've downloaded wares, and even at one time had a BBS trading in them (I was young and didn't know any better, as good an excuse as any)

I have had 0 viruses (Yep, just jinxed myself, I know :smile: )

Sometimes I have a virus scanner installed, sometimes I don't. Of my 4 computers now, 1 has Norton's 2001, another has McAfee, the other two, which includes the one I use Outlook on, have no virus detection software. It's as much a matter of luck as it is being prepared.

One thing that is a guaranteed, however, is I ALWAYS have backups.

Good luck getting rid of that crap, Woody, and we'll see you when you get back :smile:
Kanid

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:15 pm

You need a thicker condom on your PC.

Thanks for the info on the worm that got you. Take comfort in knowing that you'll be up by one Takara in about 24 hours (and I'll subsequently be down by about 6 hours of sleep, but I wager it'll net me some good karma).
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Return to GU Comics