Chuck Jones...I Don't Know What Else To Add

Postby Slane on Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:16 am

I'll try to keep this brief as my ISP keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds...literally.

I'm sure all of us here at CnW/TT are fans of artwork. Art consists of not just the masterpieces you find at a museum; it goes beyond that. Animation and comics, which I will just call cartoons throughout this so I can be really general, are overlooked as two of the best forms of art, as it incites emotions so well. Sometimes, they are able to convey these feelings better than live-action; movies and plays can only show so much of the characters' minds, but cartoons are able to represent thoughts much better. Just read Dub's comics and tell me you didn't feel pain when the Duckbills learn of their father's death, or the speech delivered by Kedzie's dad in TT.

Cartoons can use abstract thoughts and actions to represent these concepts; the way a character, an evironment, or object is drawn and colored shows it's emotions. Try making an actor look like that. In The Lion King, Mufasa was drawn in natural colors, looking realistic and heroic. Scar, on the other hand, was in the most unnatural colors, with darker orange fur and a black mane, and was drawn to look linear and dark; his outward appearance revealed his inner, evil desires. Having been reading the Cliff's Notes for The Scarlet Letter, it's opened my eyes a bit more to this concept.

Cartoons are a form of artwork, and Charles M. Jones was a gifted artist. He was able to shape characters from just being 2-D drawings into real individuals; Daffy was a character manipulated by greed, Pepe Le Pew by love, Wile E. Coyote by hunger, and Marvin the Martian by trying to succeed (even though he was trying to blow up the Earth to get a better view of Venus). Besides having a great style to himself (although I still feel his Tom & Jerry/MGM look was a little bit rough), he was a great storyteller through words and environment, thanks to his cohorts like Michale Maltese and Maurice Noble, as well as his other contemporaries.

When I woke up at 9:38 AM this morning, my mom told me Jones had passed away. I cried. It wasn't a lot of crying, but it was a lot more than I have experienced lately. I haven't cried outwardly this much over death, not even during September 11. Maybe it's because the world has felt a lot harsher since that day that I cried, and am starting to cry a little now, but maybe it's because Chuck was my favorite animation director. He created so many cartoons that influenced me in my childhood and was probably what first inspired me to draw.

What disappoints me a lot is that Chuck still had some talent and life in him; as ToonZone said, he was doing Thomas T. Wolf (which I still haven't gotten to see), and I heard that one of his greatest works, Duck Dodgers, was going to become an animation series, which I had hoped he would have some say in. I think that Chuck would have come up with more cartoons if he just lived another 10 years. Dying at 89 isn't bad, but it hurts me a little. He entertained me for a long time, and I'm going to miss him.

Sorry if this came off as rambling, but...I haven't felt this said for a while. After hearing about poor Daniel Pearl's death, I can't take hearing about another life gone, even if it was not in cold murder. Chuck has had an impact on my life, and, after seeing just about every other old-time cartoon giants die except for Barbera, it's sad to see him go.

I'm sure Dub and the rest of you have at least one thing to say; everyone has seen a least one of Bugs/Daffy shorts or a Coyote/Road Runner cartoon.

Like ToonZone had on its news section, this is the end to an era.

[And I said this was going to be short?! :wink:]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Slane on 2002-02-23 09:18 ]</font>
Slane
Regular Poster

Postby Haipaa-san on Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:05 am

Hey, man! Don't be too sad . . . Chuck gave me more inspiration as an animator and has done more for animation in general than most animation directors! He gave us all he could and he died at the ripe old age of 89! Celebrate his life, don't mourn his death; ya know that he wouldn't want ya to do that, Slane; especially since he was such a wacky-wacky guy!! Maurice Noble, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Bob McKimson, Mel Blanc, Will Hanna, and the Fliesher boys will have somethin' to talk about up there . . .wherever animation folks go when they die!

So, here! *kicks Slane off a cliff and watches him fall coyote style*
*speaking like Pepe Le Pew*
Viva le fromage!!!!!!! *sticks out tounge like Road Runner*
Beep!!!Beep!!!
*zooms away*
:wink:
I have rabies an' a one-celled monkey in my brain!! Care for some gopher?
Haipaa-san

Return to Chip and Walter & Time Trouble