Community affiliation

Discussion of the yearly awards for best comic in various categories.

Postby Todd Michaels on Wed Jul 04, 2001 5:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graeme Taylor:
<B>Also, I'd like to propose that the committee be formed of at least two members from each webcomic community (Keenspot/space, Comic Soviet, Big Panda, Nice, ect.) and at least four members from unaffiliated comics. Each set of committee members would be responsible for (among other things) being sure their community (or the unaffiliated comics) is aware and taking part in the CCA.<P>The CCA started in Keenspot/space, but I think that the idea of CCA really transends the "communities" and covers webcomics as a whole.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
If we're trying to transcend "communities", why bring them up at all?<P>How would you handle the addition of new communities, then? How big does a group of cartoonist sites have to be before it changes from a site of links to an official community?<P>I think the term "unaffiliated" itself would cause the need for too detailed a description. Do all the comics on GeoCities qualify as a community or are they unaffiliated?<P><P>------------------
Todd Michaels
<A HREF="http://boardersandsister.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Boarders and Sister</A>
<A HREF="mailto:boardersandsister@yahoo.com">boardersandsister@yahoo.com</A>
Todd Michaels
Regular Poster

Postby Graeme Taylor on Wed Jul 04, 2001 6:30 am

Well it's pretty easy (in my opinion) to spot a webcomic "community." Two basic characterists:<P>-A central site that lists all comics under it.<P>-Each comic's site has a link(or dropdown list, or whatever) back the central listing page.<P>Of course this would be more accurate to say webcomic "listings" instead of "communities", but in some cases, (like Keenspot/space, and a few others, I'm sure) "community" is a more accurate description. As far as "unafilliated" goes, well I'm not going really touch that definition just yet.
Graeme Taylor

Return to Cartoonists' Choice Awards