Art school stuff

Postby Raincoatjones on Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:38 am

I'm a student at the Savannah college of Art and Design (the same school Michael Poe of "Exploitation Now!" fame dropped out of). I'm a second-year student and my major is film/video. This is only my second term here, having already completed my academic requirements at a community college.<P>I'm taking three classes this term. Each meets twice a week, 2 1/2 hours at a time.<P>My classes are: Drawing II, 3D Design and Survey of Westrn Arts II. My term ends on the 15th of this month.<P>Drawing II: Right now I'm working on a full-value rendering of a landscape using colored chalk pastels. Last week I did the same landscape, only in black and white with charcoal. This is going to be our last assignment before the final assignment, which is a relief to me. Out of all my classes, this one has had me sweating the most.<P>I also have to do a LOT of sketchbook work, which I've been putting off all term. My sketchbook is usually filled with... well, drawings of half-naked robot girls. Now I have to copy old drawings by Da Vinci in ink, do full value charcoal renderings of EVERY GODDAMN THING IN THE WORLD, do about a dozen sketches of the previously-mentioned landscape (which should have been done before the actual drawing), and write five "critiques on critiques". I have to give my opinion on a critique someone else has already written.<P>3D Design: This was the class I was dreading the most, but it's turned out to be the most fun I've had at SCAD so far. The professor is a pretty cool guy, and he lets us fuck with him mercilessly, so that helps some. The assignments have been pretty tough, but fun to do.
Right now I'm working on a "transformation sequence". We have to make five little sculptures with this hard-to-sculpt stuff called "Super Sculptey". The first sculpture must gradually transform into the final sculpture, by means of the three sculptures between them.
I was really stumped for an idea on this one, and then I settled on doing a bust of The Beatles from "Yellow Submarine" slowly transforming into the Yellow Subamarine itself. So far I've done John and George's heads, and I did those a week ago. Then I have to bake it all in the oven, glaze it, paint it, and drink half a bottle of JD.
This assignment was due a week ago. I constantly turn in most of my projects late, which kills my grades. The rest of the class is working on a "mixed media" piece that has to contain at least four of the materials we've already worked with, and it has to have some kind of social message.<P>I think my message might be along the lines of "fuck you you fucking school..."<P>Survey Of Western Arts II: I'll probably go the rest of my life and never meet another person as educated as the guy teaching this class. He's from Scotland. The general person from Scotland is a drunken rugby player, but when you meet a smart person from Scotland, you are meeting one of the smartest people on the face of the Earth. This guy can tell you everything there is to know about any period in the history of art ever. It's sad that he has to teach us American dumbasses though... he really deserves a nice class of overworked, underslept Japanese students somewhere.
The final test is a week from today. I passed the first test with a B-, and passed the second with a D--, so I'm going to need to study my balls off to get a good grade on the final (I'm screwed... it just hasn't sunk in yet).<p>[This message has been edited by raincoatjones (edited 03-12-2001).]
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Postby Raincoatjones on Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:17 am

ok, I just finished up the Yellow submarine thing, I'm about halfway done with my mixed media, and I took my last exam in Art history a week ago. All I have left to do is turn in my drawing II sketchbook (which I haven't even drawn much anything in yet), do my five critiques, finish my Drawing II final project (that should be read, <i>begin</i> my drawing II final project), and finish my final project for 3D, which is time-consuming but easy. Unfortunately, time is the one thing I don't have. The term ends Wednesday, and all but my final projects are due tomorrow... but it should be obvious to all by now that I am past the point of caring.
Thus, I bid you all a good night and return to hell.<P>mmmmmm... dinner at 1 AM... yummy
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Postby Raincoatjones on Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:36 am

I... am royally fucked
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Postby Raincoatjones on Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:59 am

waiii! I am done! The term is over, I passed all my classes, barely I think. I'm just glad it's over. I got to have some fun at my Drawing II class tonight. The first project I turned in this term was a comic, and so was the last. Everyone dug my fist project(the one that you would be seeing right now if it weren't for Chris mutha-fuckin' Birkenstock), and tonight they all crowded around the new one and laughed and told me how much they loved it. So, my project definitely got the most attention, and that left me in a pretty good mood for the rest of the night.
There's also a guy in my class who's a real smartass, although unintentionally... I can tell because I used to be like that too, so I got some insight this term just being around him. A nice enough guy, just with a big intellectual chip on his shoulder.
Alright, I've been awake 22 hours now... night night.
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Postby Raincoatjones on Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:05 pm

well, I'm about halfway(less really) done with my final porject for Drawing II (its now 3 AM). I'm gonna work until 5 and then just turn in whatever I have. For all my bitching about her, my Drawing II professor is pretty cool. I'm finishing up my second to last project for 3D design, and I'm just gonna take a powder on my final project for that course (which shows what a brain-dead dumbass I am, that one was an <i>easy</i> "A", but only if you had the time to put in) and hand in my nearly-half completed assignment, which I'll probably get a D- on (hell, I almost hope I get a D-, I'm so fucking ashamed of the thing).
And that's that. Looks like I'm gonna pass all my courses this term, and sometimes that's all you can really hope for. So I've gone from making two "A"'s and a "B" last term (and getting on the Dean's List, which my mom really dug) to probably making nothing buy "C"'s and "D"'s this term. Ahh, whatever.<P>The cool thing is that my final project for Drawing is sequential (comic) and features the cast of NaughtyLabs (two of them, one you haven't yet met). So I'll scan that in and post it before too long.
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Postby Raincoatjones on Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:08 pm

I'd like to add that BIG reason I did do sucky this term is due in part because I spent a lot of my time on NaughtyLabs, so don't say I never did nothin' for ya.
Raincoatjones
Regular Poster

Return to Naughty Labs