Tablets

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Tablets

Postby McDuffies on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm

So, does anyone have any experience on drawing on tablets? Share!
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Re: Tablets

Postby IVstudios on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm

So much experience. It's how I do pretty much all my drawing these days.

What do you want to know?
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Idunno... how well it works, is the line thickness variation good, what choice of programs is there, which tablet you reccomend, and so on.
I'm looking up some tablets, well actually both tablets and eBooks because I need something primarily for reading, and I still don't know whether I'm going for the cheaper or the more expensive option, but if I get to buy something more powerful, I may as well get something I can draw on.
Reviews online aren't particularly consistent, the only consensus seems to be that iPad is the best, but also the most expensive.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh, you mean tablet PC's, like an iPad? I thought you meant Wacom tablets.

I've never drawn on an iPad, but I know there are some okay drawing and painting programs for it. Based on what I've heard there's no pressure sensitivity, so you have to adjust your line weight manually, and some of the styluses are a bit awkward. Once you get use to it though I think they work decently well.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 pm

IVstudios wrote:Oh, you mean tablet PC's, like an iPad? I thought you meant Wacom tablets.

I've never drawn on an iPad, but I know there are some okay drawing and painting programs for it. Based on what I've heard there's no pressure sensitivity, so you have to adjust your line weight manually, and some of the styluses are a bit awkward. Once you get use to it though I think they work decently well.

Yeah... I know of a few professional artists who work on tablets, though adjusting line weight strictly in software doesn't exactly spell professionalism for me.
What are your impressions on iPad-like tablets otherwise? Provided you used them of course.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:38 pm

I don't know, I'm only familiar with the iPad.

My impression of most tablets though is that they'd be great for doing sketches, but I probably wouldn't use them for an actual, refined project.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll let you know after Christmas. My parents just ordered me a new touchscreen laptop. For the first time, I'm actually excited to do digital artwork.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm

I have a drawing tablet, but I was never able to get used to it. The fact that you can't see what you're drawing confuses the heck out of me.

As I understand it some newer tablets do display the image on the tablet but I'm good with a mouse.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 am

Terotrous wrote:As I understand it some newer tablets do display the image on the tablet

There are some that do, but they themselves cost as much as a mid-to-high-end computer. For professional computer graphics with big budgets attached, it might be a good investment, but for cartooning and light illustration, a general-use tablet or touch-screen laptop would do the job just fine, and likely save you money as well.

Also, by the way:

McDuffies wrote:Idunno... how well it works, is the line thickness variation good, what choice of programs is there, which tablet you reccomend, and so on.
I'm looking up some tablets, well actually both tablets and eBooks because I need something primarily for reading, and I still don't know whether I'm going for the cheaper or the more expensive option, but if I get to buy something more powerful, I may as well get something I can draw on.
Reviews online aren't particularly consistent, the only consensus seems to be that iPad is the best, but also the most expensive.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Nexus 7. I may be getting one after the holidays, myself.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Incidentally I remembered that I've heard of bluetooth styluses for touchscreen with pressure sensitivity. Except they're probably expensive as hell. I didn't manage to find such product on Wacom site, so we may be far away from being able to afford it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Lostmind on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:45 am

Terotrous wrote:I have a drawing tablet, but I was never able to get used to it. The fact that you can't see what you're drawing confuses the heck out of me.

That's my main problem as well, anyway to help with that?
Lostmind
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I got used to it with time. Make your environment as suitable to you as possible: change settings - cursor speed, pressure sensitivity, cursor icon, etc - find which ones suit you the most, to me the default settings were impossible, but figuring out what settings suited me made it much better. Also not expecting tablet to be a replacement for pen and paper, but a rather different approach to drawing, with different means to achieving results.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Humbug on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Yea, it takes time to get the hang of it, I didn't immediately start drawing with a tablet off the bat either. I think starting small is the key. Colouring lineart requires less precision and will give you a better idea of the stylus' relative position in the monitor. Then you can slowly work your way up to more complicated patterns accordingly.
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lostmind on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:31 pm

PRACTICE NNNNNOOOOO!!! I was hoping for a quick fix!

Damn, whatever, as if? Anyway thank you for the help.
Lostmind
Regular Poster

Return to General Discussion