How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

The beginning of this is the sort of thing that should go in the Happy thread, but I'm dumb

For the first time I have two days off in a row from work (I'm discounting the days off from the storm because every morning I woke up anyway in case I needed to go in despite the fucking hurricane), I'm at the end of day 1 right now and feeling really bleh. I just feel like I can't really calm down and get comfortable.

I think part of the problem is this is the last days I'll have off until Thanksgiving day next Thursday, and then I get one day off a week after that until after the holiday boom is gone. I keep thinking I'm "wasting" my time off and not being productive enough, while simultaneously thinking I'm not doing enough to recharge and rest :(

My comic was supposed to triumphantly return with a redone site and brand new chapter next Tuesday. It... it doesn't really look like I'm going to be able to do that in time exactly :lol:. I still have to recode almost the entire site, including making up new images for different things, not to mention draw up at least two pages to start off the next chapter so that I don't have to worry about it on black Friday weekend when I will probably have about one hour of non-work, non-driving to work, non-prepping for work time.

Part of me wants to beg for fanart so I can have a small buffer. But if I did that I feel like I'd have to at least finish recoding the site so that the fanart would have somewhere nice to sit, lol. Also I really wanted to get a start off on the right foot this chapter regarding update consistency :(

Adding into this I also want to run shopping errands which always ends with me wasting the day away and then coming home burnt out and cranky.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:47 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Working on a new opening to my comic

Nice, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Here it is! It's just 3 pages, but I think it sets the tone better than just jumping into the story as I'd had it for a while. I might change it again someday, but I'm pretty satisifed with it for now.

Still gotta do that whole makeover though. Probably going to have to wait til January to get ot that, unfortunately.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:52 am

Nicely done Cuddly.

Now that I'm settled back in after my holiday I should be back on the comics tomorrow, I've got a couple of pages drawn from before I went away so at least there's that.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Here it is! It's just 3 pages, but I think it sets the tone better than just jumping into the story as I'd had it for a while. I might change it again someday, but I'm pretty satisifed with it for now.

Yeah, that's a lot better. And plus, new readers starting from the beginning get to see some 2012 pages.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Here it is! It's just 3 pages, but I think it sets the tone better than just jumping into the story as I'd had it for a while. I might change it again someday, but I'm pretty satisifed with it for now.

Yeah, that's a lot better. And plus, new readers starting from the beginning get to see some 2012 pages.

Yup! I just hope the quality dropoff after that point doesn't end up putting them off anyway :lol:
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 pm

I've actually maintained my one comic buffer for two whole years now. That's two years more than I ever did it back in the day!

I've also thought about drawing a new "introductory arc" to take place before the start of the strip, where there would be a clever explanation for why the art gets progressively worse until it reaches the first comic level, but ultimately I think it risks confusing people too much. You can't go too meta right off the bat.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mastermind on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

I have all this energy to draw and I'm wasting it on Skyrim fanart instead of tending my own creation :-?
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby Humbug on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm gonna start buffering next week for ToPs relaunch, but there's still so many concept art I have yet to develop. @_@
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

And hooray for fluffers!

Postby IVstudios on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Hooray for buffers!

LC had frequently mentioned in his Webcomic Review Thread that he thinks webcomics having a "new readers" page is a good idea, and I agree that it sounds like a good idea, so I made one. However, I ended up making all the recaps sarcastic, because I can't stop being kind of a dick, even to myself.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: And hooray for fluffers!

Postby K-Dawg on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 pm

IVstudios wrote:Hooray for buffers!

LC had frequently mentioned in his Webcomic Review Thread that he thinks webcomics having a "new readers" page is a good idea, and I agree that it sounds like a good idea, so I made one. However, I ended up making all the recaps sarcastic, because I can't stop being kind of a dick, even to myself.

I think I am going to steal this. Yup I'm pretty sure I am...once I actually have enough chapters to do such a thing.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby IVstudios on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 pm

I knew you would, seeing how everything you've ever done has just been a less awesome version of something I did first.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm

might as well call him Vstudios
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

*currently buffered until the end of January*

Postby Cope on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm

I like buffers, except when they disappear, which they always do.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Humbug on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 pm

That's a great idea IV, I'm gonna steal it too. :P

Considering the plans I have for ToP, I can't afford to let my buffer disappear. :P
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby K-Dawg on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 pm

IVstudios wrote:I knew you would, seeing how everything you've ever done has just been a less awesome version of something I did first.

That sir is slander! I will sue you!

But that will wait until after I wave to Humbug.

~~~Hi Humbug~~~ :shucks:

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby Humbug on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Heya Dawg! :D Hugs!
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby chainmailbikini on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 pm

So I've been on hiatus for a while now. I had a halloween flash art and water color painting project to keep me occupied at work, and then I got a new real life comic book project. I did a six page mini comic that will be appearing in the december issue of Knights of the Dinner Table. I'm very stoked about it. I look forward to getting back to chainmail bikini too, I hope to have a new ep colored by next tuesday at the latest. I've been doing so experimentation with my style some during my down time. I hope to up my art game for following chapters.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Re: And hooray for fluffers!

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

IVstudios wrote:LC had frequently mentioned in his Webcomic Review Thread that he thinks webcomics having a "new readers" page is a good idea, and I agree that it sounds like a good idea, so I made one. However, I ended up making all the recaps sarcastic, because I can't stop being kind of a dick, even to myself.

Cool, I helped. :) I think anyone who's put hundreds of hours into their comic should be able to spare a little bit of time to do a recap page. Some webcartoonists have the attitude that they shouldn't have to explain anything because you should be reading from the beginning anyways, but my response to that is, why bother when I can just read a different webcomic that's more accessible instead? Just because someone works hard on something doesn't mean they're entitled to getting attention.

Also, while your recaps are meant to be "kind of a dick" to yourself, I think they're really funny, and would probably make me even more interested in the comic if I were a casual reader. After all, if someone sees these recaps and thinks they're clever and creative, they should be inclined to assume the real comic's clever and creative as well.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I miss being able to draw my characters. Or just drawing in general, even :(
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby K-Dawg on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:22 am

Humbug wrote:Heya Dawg! :D Hugs!

Hiya!

Now with that done, IV I am suing your ass for everything you own!

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion