Autoupdating Newsfeed?

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Autoupdating Newsfeed?

Postby Natane on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi guys! I'm sure this has been asked about a million times before. I scanned through the wiki and help pages, but the best I could come up with is ***todays_notes*** which is not quite what I'm going for.

Here's muh page: http://mariposa.comicgenesis.com/

I used to have one of those linked bloggers that updated via FTP and would just auto-update on the site, it was awesomesauce and I loved it. Now they don't do that anymore.

So I made a recentnews.html and called it to populate the parchment paper area of my indextemplate.html. I even painstakingly javascripted the paper part to expand to accommodate the text (though it's not perfect, but that's not the issue here).

But my problem is this. Right now, I'm writing a blog entry, copying it into Recentnews.html, deleting the oldest entry out of the HTML file, and moving it into workspace/webpages when I move my new comics in or whenever I feel like writing a new 'news' entry. But, in order for it to actually show, I have to actually go in and request a Full Update so that all relevant HTML files are updated.

I don't mind doing the busywork to transfer the blog posts into the text file. But is there any way to get that page to automatically update along with my comic?

I know it's possible to instead call ***todays_notes*** instead of doing an include recentnews.html or whatever it is that I did, and rename the file to YYYYMMDD.txt, but that will stick it to all the past comics, and I don't really want that.

Any ideas? Has this been done to death? Is my question style completely incomprehensible? Would you like fries or apple slices?
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

DeviantArt
Natane
Regular Poster

Re: Autoupdating Newsfeed?

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 am

I think the indextemplate.html file might automatically update when the comic does. So, you might wanna try just updating the file in /workspace/ the day before the comic goes up.

However, have you considered making a Blogspot/Wordpress/Tumblr account and showing it in an iframe?
Code: Select all
<iframe src="http://example.blogspot.com" width="700px" height="2500px" style="border:0;"><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>
Blogspot lets you schedule posts to go live at a specified time, and I assume Wordpress and Tumblr have this feature as well. Doing this would also archive older posts, and it would let readers comment on your posts if you want them to be able to.

Also:
Natane wrote:But, in order for it to actually show, I have to actually go in and request a Full Update so that all relevant HTML files are updated.
Not if you use an iframe. You can set it to link to an HTML file in your /public_html/ directory. Any changes to the HTML file should instantly show up on the live site without having to schedule an update.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Natane on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I think the indextemplate.html file might automatically update when the comic does. So, you might wanna try just updating the file in /workspace/ the day before the comic goes up.

However, have you considered making a Blogspot/Wordpress/Tumblr account and showing it in an iframe?
<iframe src="http://example.blogspot.com" width="700px" height="2500px" style="border:0;"><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>
Blogspot lets you schedule posts to go live at a specified time, and I assume Wordpress and Tumblr have this feature as well. Doing this would also archive older posts, and it would let readers comment on your posts if you want them to be able to.

I've considered using an iframe, but it...it doesn't really seamlessly integrate with the page the way I'd like, whereas using the include tag with a text-only HTML lets me overlay the text the way I stylistically want it to be.

Updating the file in /workspace/ doesn't do it - Since I'm calling a secondary html file into indextemplate and not updating indextemplate itself, it won't autoupdate unless I Full Update it. =/ The code I'm using is just the standard tag...

<div id="recentnews">      
***include /recentnews.html***
<br><br>
</div>

Which admittedly does a great job in putting it where I want it and getting it to look the way I want it to, but...not in getting it to update with the rest of everything. :<

DeviantArt
Natane
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 am

Natane wrote:Updating the file in /workspace/ doesn't do it - Since I'm calling a secondary html file into indextemplate and not updating indextemplate itself, it won't autoupdate unless I Full Update it. =/ The code I'm using is just the standard tag...

Sorry, I didn't elaborate. I meant getting rid of the include recentnews.html part and just putting the news updates in indextemplate.html directly. That way, if you upload the edited indextemplate.html on Monday, it should get updated on the site the same time the comic gets posted on Tuesday. (Assuming indextemplate.html gets picked up by the scheduler, anyways.)

Natane wrote:I've considered using an iframe, but it...it doesn't really seamlessly integrate with the page the way I'd like, whereas using the include tag with a text-only HTML lets me overlay the text the way I stylistically want it to be.

From what I've seen, Blogspot is very customizable, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get an iframe to look the way you want it to if you messed around with the blog template a little.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Natane on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:Sorry, I didn't elaborate. I meant getting rid of the include recentnews.html part and just putting the news updates in indextemplate.html directly. That way, if you upload the edited indextemplate.html on Monday, it should get updated on the site the same time the comic gets posted on Tuesday. (Assuming indextemplate.html gets picked up by the scheduler, anyways.)

Hmmmm~ There is a thought, actually! I mean, if I'm updating a page anyway... I'm just so terrified of messing up my indextemplate, heehee. But maybe I'll give that a try!

LibertyCabbage wrote:From what I've seen, Blogspot is very customizable, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get an iframe to look the way you want it to if you messed around with the blog template a little.

My problem with iframe isn't the contents of the iframe. I'm confident enough with my pagewrangling to know I could get my blog to look nice in there.

My problem with iframe is the scrollbars of tears and sadness that totally break up the main page. Having to scroll around inside a teeny little frame inside another page is a very cluttered look. :< Unlike the include tag, it's anything but seamless...Unless there's some way to remove the 'frame' from the iframe and simply make it a static window. But I'm not quite familiar enough with iframes to know if that's possible, so...

DeviantArt
Natane
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Natane wrote:Hmmmm~ There is a thought, actually! I mean, if I'm updating a page anyway... I'm just so terrified of messing up my indextemplate, heehee. But maybe I'll give that a try!

The key's to make backups of everything.

Natane wrote:My problem with iframe is the scrollbars of tears and sadness that totally break up the main page. Having to scroll around inside a teeny little frame inside another page is a very cluttered look. :< Unlike the include tag, it's anything but seamless...Unless there's some way to remove the 'frame' from the iframe and simply make it a static window. But I'm not quite familiar enough with iframes to know if that's possible, so...

Try adding this CSS to your iframe:
style="overflow:hidden;"
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Natane on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:Try adding this CSS to your iframe:
style="overflow:hidden;"

Cool! I'll give that a shot. :3 I'll update the indextemplate for now, and play around with the iframe options in the meantime. Thanks LC. <3

Also, Ushuia, the best suggestion I can give you is watermarking? You should really make your own thread for this though! :)

*blinks at signature* *not sure if spambot...*

DeviantArt
Natane
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 am

Natane wrote:Thanks LC. <3

It's no problem. Lemme know if you ever want any help getting your site to look right.

Natane wrote:*blinks at signature* *not sure if spambot...*

Definitely a spammer.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Return to Help Center