Is anyone actually still taking care of CG?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Godai
Regular Poster

Is anyone actually still taking care of CG?

Post by Godai »

I ask, because:
- several of my subdomains keep getting infested by viral scripts for years now and nobody seems to care about the servers,
- no contact whatsoever available to anyone of the staff,
- several other things look like they just run out of habit.

Is ComicGenesis at all taken care of still, or is it just abandoned and still alive?
Image Image Image

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Re: Is anyone actually still taking care of CG?

Post by robotthepirate »

It's not entirely abandonned, but those in charge have other commitments these days.

It's a bit like the herds of sheep that live on hills, the shepherd knows they're there but generally they're left to their own devices.

New comics, pogs, newsboxs are approved but no proper updating of the site.

[Might be wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected.]
Image Image Image Image

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

robotthepirate wrote:New comics, pogs, newsboxs are approved but no proper updating of the site.
Not really, considering I've been waiting more than three months to have them approved for Red Slime.

I appreciate the easy and reliable hosting CG's provided over the years, but at this point it's blatantly inferior to every other free comic-hosting service out there. I initially planned on hosting my next project on CG, but I increasingly feel like I'd be deliberately handicapping it by doing so.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

LibertyCabbage wrote:
robotthepirate wrote:New comics, pogs, newsboxs are approved but no proper updating of the site.
Not really, considering I've been waiting more than three months to have them approved for Red Slime.

I appreciate the easy and reliable hosting CG's provided over the years, but at this point it's blatantly inferior to every other free comic-hosting service out there. I initially planned on hosting my next project on CG, but I increasingly feel like I'd be deliberately handicapping it by doing so.
Oh, yeah. Mo was saying (a while back now) it's because they need 2 mods to approve them, which obviously happens even less than having one of them appear.

Who approves new comics anyway? That process doesn't seem slower these days. (It's slow but it was always slow wasn't it)
Image Image Image Image

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

LibertyCabbage wrote:

I know the feeling. I recently shifted my mirror site here from lateralgeotaxis.comicgenesis.com to loudera.comicgenesis.com but I haven't updated a comic to it in weeks. I'm going to be revamping the site again soon anyway and I think I'm just going to leave this one sitting, with a redirect link to the correct site, and not bother using it as a mirror anymore. It's become too much of a hassle to make small changes, you know? I try to delete or change a page and then even if I do a full update and clear my cache and everything, the page still shows up, not just for me but for anyone who goes to read through it.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Man there should be a period comics dropdown.
robotthepirate wrote: Oh, yeah. Mo was saying (a while back now) it's because they need 2 mods to approve them, which obviously happens even less than having one of them appear.

Who approves new comics anyway? That process doesn't seem slower these days. (It's slow but it was always slow wasn't it)
Dunno about comics, isn't it automated? I remember Kisai doing it manually to ensure that copyright violating comics were out, but that was when we still had to sumbit a sample page, which I think isn't anymore... But don't listen to me, I haven't checked in ever since I last updated grumpy.
Now pogs on the main page, I think they're approved by Mo, Keff and Joel Fagin, unless that also changed in the meantime. Task of tracking two of them down is possible but not very probable.

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

McDuffies wrote:
robotthepirate wrote: Who approves new comics anyway? That process doesn't seem slower these days. (It's slow but it was always slow wasn't it)
Dunno about comics, isn't it automated? I remember Kisai doing it manually to ensure that copyright violating comics were out, but that was when we still had to sumbit a sample page, which I think isn't anymore... But don't listen to me, I haven't checked in ever since I last updated grumpy.
I had to submit a sample page for RTP back in 2010. That's as recent as I've got.
Image Image Image Image

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

I don't know whether the sample page still needs to be submitted, but I'm pretty sure the page where we could all go to view and mock them as they waited to be evaluated is gone or not available to our view.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Yeah perhaps page still has to be submitted, it's just not public anymore.

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

I suppose we kinda did abuse that privilege.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Yeahduff wrote:I suppose we kinda did abuse that privilege.
It was so entertaining though! And I'm saying that as someone who's submission was embarassingly bad!! :P

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

We did have fun with it.

The only one I can remember now featured a dude shamefully beating off to Harry Potter.

RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

Yeahduff wrote:We did have fun with it.

The only one I can remember now featured a dude shamefully beating off to Harry Potter.
Please tell me that's a metaphor?
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I remember one with a gokku type guy with gigantic penis.

Cope
Incompetent Monster

"Dragon Ball Z: Penis Battles" or whatever it was....

Post by Cope »

McDuffies wrote:I remember one with a gokku type guy with gigantic penis.
....and now I remember it too.

Thanks a lot.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

GODANIUM!

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

RobboAKAscooby wrote:

Please tell me that's a metaphor?
Can't say either way but if it makes you feel any better he felt pretty bad about it.

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

Godai wrote:Is ComicGenesis at all taken care of still, or is it just abandoned and still alive?
CG is kind of in a state of semi-abandonment. Its parent company doesn't appear to know or care that it still exists, but some of the admins still check in from time to time. Everything still works for the most part but if you need support the response times can be slow.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
Yeahduff wrote:I suppose we kinda did abuse that privilege.
It was so entertaining though! And I'm saying that as someone who's submission was embarassingly bad!! :P
Signup Samples was probably my favourite CG Comic.

In addition to mocking bad entries, sometimes a comic would come along that looked like the artstyle of someone from CG and then we would guess who was starting a second comic.

Of course, that was back when we had second comics... and first comics.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Terotrous wrote: Of course, that was back when we had second comics... and first comics.
comics at all :(

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Nowadays we can't even hold a pen.