Hey, Cuddly...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Hey, Cuddly...

Postby peterabnny on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:30 am

I was hanging out with my gearhead pals at a local classic car cruise-in and we saw one of these (exactly like this one in every way, sans the LTL sign, spotlight and cushioned front seat) - a 1919 Olds:

Right away I thought of you and your comic. :)
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Re: Hey, Cuddly...

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 am

OMG LOOK AT THAT SWEET RIDE!!! Thank you for sharing the picture Peter!! So funny that you posted that today, apparently there's an antique/classic car show going on today but it's like an hour or so away and I didn't know about it until it was too late to make plans to go :( This helps to soothe the burn of missing it :D
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:29 am

You're very welcome!

I didn't know you were a classic-lover, too! :)
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 am

I don't know much about 'em, but I love lookin' at 'em. Great memories of going around to the shows when I was little with my dad and probably my mom and aunt. In reality it probably happened one time, but it stuck with me :lol:
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 am

They're great for drawing. They're one of those things that I photograph whenever I encounter them, for drawing practice (finding a pic in google is somehow just not the same).
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 am

McDuffies wrote:They're great for drawing. They're one of those things that I photograph whenever I encounter them, for drawing practice (finding a pic in google is somehow just not the same).

I agree. For me, they are more fun and more intuitive to draw than more modern cars, perhaps because I can feel a "personality" behind them.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

They have a lot more details outside. But they're also more simple shapes, whereas today's cars are somehow arbitrarily aerodynamic.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, it's all geometry and then details on the outside. Here is a cylinder. Here is a rectangular box shape. Here is a triangle. Absolutely nothing is ergonomic :lol:
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:12 am

Man! The aerodynamics!
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Ahaugen on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm

spoonyliger wrote:Man! The aerodynamics!

still more aerodynamic than a pickup with a lift kit, off road tires and truck nuts
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby robotthepirate on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 am

On the other hand, I'm reckoning that driving a car like that in the weather I'm getting over here would be #~'[]"$%*&*$*!)($@~:{}.,<##'^*$)" freezing.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 am

Ahaugen wrote:
spoonyliger wrote:Man! The aerodynamics!

still more aerodynamic than a pickup with a lift kit, off road tires and truck nuts

Even that is more aerodynamic than parachute.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:30 am

robotthepirate wrote:On the other hand, I'm reckoning that driving a car like that in the weather I'm getting over here would be #~'[]"$%*&*$*!)($@~:{}.,<##'^*$)" freezing.

That's why you gotta get your driving cap, gloves, and goggles.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:02 pm

And grow a pair of mustaches to warm your upper lip. Think people wore those because they liked them?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 pm

McDuffies wrote:And grow a pair of mustaches to warm your upper lip. Think people wore those because they liked them?

And sideburns protected your ears from the wind.

Chicks had to just use bonnets.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
McDuffies wrote:And grow a pair of mustaches to warm your upper lip. Think people wore those because they liked them?

And sideburns protected your ears from the wind.

Chicks had to just use bonnets.

Explains why they weren't keen to flash more than a bit of ankle.

... I feel a need to see a picture of Abraham Lincoln wearing driving goggles, I will also accept if someone goes back in time in order to take one or maybe a drawing.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:05 am

Bah! They could have shown some ankle without any risk if only they'd stopped shaving legs.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am

McDuffies wrote:Bah! They could have shown some ankle without any risk if only they'd stopped shaving legs.

I seriously don't understand why women feel the need to shave their legs. Though I guess once you start you have to continue and most teenage girls feel pressured to once everyone else starts (so I've heard).

Also we may have just discovered why the Victorians became such prudes, fast transport.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 am

robotthepirate wrote:
McDuffies wrote:Bah! They could have shown some ankle without any risk if only they'd stopped shaving legs.

I seriously don't understand why women feel the need to shave their legs. Though I guess once you start you have to continue and most teenage girls feel pressured to once everyone else starts (so I've heard).

A lot of people in this society at least have a serious issue with body hair in general. I think I missed that memo :/ Even people that look like rugs don't really bother me, I just pity them when it's warm since it must be uncomfortable.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

I find that issue of body hair is another case of fake beauty standards perpetuated by media, which don't align the least with actual taste of population.

But a fact that is not very well known among us men is that women primarily fix themselves for other women, not for men. Average men, as you figure, will not pay attention to details too much, and it's terribly easy to sway them with minimal effort. Throw on a mini skirt of any kind, you don't even have to have particularly great legs, and you'll have half of guys turning their head. It's other women that scrutinize you and roll their eyes if you've missed a depilation term or if your mascara is tiny bit smudged, and apparently many women feel a lot of pressure under the gaze of their own sex. So it's very pointless to try to explain to women that we don't all like impossibly skinny girls or blond hair or whatnot, because they actually can't care less about what we think.

Edit: On the other hand, there are things that completely puzzle me, such as this fad of shaving pubic hair to nothing that media is full of, or, for that matter, thongs? Why did we let barely literate gangsta rappers dictate to us what to like?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Next

Return to General Discussion