What if I don't pay the internets?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

What if I don't pay the internets?

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Got a net admin question here.

First of all, I'd like to announce that I am finally moving out of my parents apartment. Yay! And into a shared apartment who's roommate could really be anyone.

So!

I'll have to cut down on costs. Which means I'm going to shut down my "show-off" website spoonyliger.com. It was only there for show-off, really. So my questions are...

1. If I don't renew my domain name (aka: pay for one more year), do I loose my domain name completely? Or will it just stay dormant and frozen in time for no one to touch ever again until I decide to renew it? Really hoping for the latter...

2. If I don't renew my Hosting service for next year, will the files be frozen as well?

Extra Credit: If I don't turn IV's blue penis into pet art, will I regret it deeply? :-?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Re: What if I don't pay the internets?

Postby Shucking Oysters on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Basically, it works the same as renting a flat -- if you don't pay, they'll clear out your stuff and make it available to the next tennant. Fortunately for you, it's unlikely that you'll have any problem reregistering it in the future, but you'll want to back-up your files on your own hard drive -- your server provider won't keep them around.

And yes. You'll regret it forever.
Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:11 am

When your domain expires it's up for grabs. But if noone gets it in the meantime, you can register it again a few years later. Now how likely is it that someone else will need domain spoonylinger.com?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

"Back in the day" translates as "pre-2007".

Postby Cope on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 am

However, there is a chance that a cybersquatter will grab your domain and charge you a premium to return it. That happened to someone here back in the day.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: "Back in the day" translates as "pre-2007".

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 am

McDuffies wrote:How likely is it that someone else will need domain spoonylinger.com?

True, true.

Cope wrote:However, there is a chance that a cybersquatter will grab your domain and charge you a premium to return it. That happened to someone here back in the day.

Oh yea, I know about that kinda stuff. I think I'm just going to have to deal with it. It's going to be more important to pay the bills now.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 am

spoonyliger wrote:Extra Credit: If I don't turn IV's blue penis into pet art, will I regret it deeply? :-?

I can't tell you how you'll feel, but I know I will always wonder what could have been...
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:06 am

I should imagine losing your files wouldn't nearly suck as much as losing IV's blue penis.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Re: "Back in the day" translates as "pre-2007".

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 am

Cope wrote:However, there is a chance that a cybersquatter will grab your domain and charge you a premium to return it. That happened to someone here back in the day.

That was Van Douchebag, right?
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 am

Dunno, but there seem to be vultures that operate on grabbing expired domains and redirecting them to penis enlargement sites... probably expecting that they're buying that url's google rating too, with all the sites that link to that domain and forget to change the link, etc.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Scratch that previous subject line.

Postby Cope on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:21 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:

That's right! Apparently, it didn't happen as long ago as I thought.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: Scratch that previous subject line.

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:23 am

Cope wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:

That's right! Apparently, it didn't happen as long ago as I thought.

Man... I really have no choice. I hope I can just kill it when the time comes instead of letting it expire. If not then I'll just have to laugh at whatever my old domain turned into... and then cry. It's not like it was getting much traffic anyways, with an average of 0.125 visits a day.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 am

Well the only problem would be if you some day try to get the domain again, and it's been taken. Also it would be graceful to inform anyone you know who linked you to that address that it's no longer valid.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:20 am

On another note, how much do you pay for domain registration that you can't afford it? Most places I've seen range from $8 - $20 a year, not exactly breaking the bank even if you are on a tight budget. Usually it's the hosting service that cost the most, and you can cancel your hosting service without losing the domain registration.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

IVstudios wrote:On another note, how much do you pay for domain registration that you can't afford it? Most places I've seen range from $8 - $20 a year, not exactly breaking the bank even if you are on a tight budget. Usually it's the hosting service that cost the most, and you can cancel your hosting service without losing the domain registration.
That domain cost me a little over $11 for a whole year. I'll have to debate with myself whether or not if it is worth it for me to keep it. I actually had the grand idea of giving my car to my dad and just getting a bike. Work is like 10 mins away. So I'll be saving a lot of money that way. Plus my dad already uses my car a lot anyways, so theoretically everything is right and sound with the world.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 am

Obviously you gotta do what you gotta do, but I would say in a worst-case scenario make cutting your domain loose to be among the very last things you do.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby spoonyliger on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 am

peterabnny wrote:Obviously you gotta do what you gotta do, but I would say in a worst-case scenario make cutting your domain loose to be among the very last things you do.
Hm... I'll take the advice.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:21 am

I think what our Russian friend is trying to say is that if you're trying to make a go of this professionally you should definitely keep your domain name. But I trust you've already come to a decision.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Rkolter on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 pm

As a rule, you should keep your domain name paid up if you ever plan to use it again.

Someone snagged reasonedcognition.com and actually is using it for a Trust and Mortgage business - I wonder if they get any email about my webcomic.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Return to General Discussion