Extras

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Extras

Postby chainmailbikini on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 am

So I've been thinking a little about 'extras'. I was thinking about doing some sexy pinups (of all the male characters in chainmail bikinis), maybe a desktop background, or something like that. Especially once I hit my first goal of 20 posts. I was just wondering what other kind of things I could do, and what a good delivery system for such delicious extras would be? Should I just make another page for them? I like the idea of showing them off on my home page for a bit, but I wouldn't really want them cluttering my archives at the same time. Any ideas would be appreciated. Or perhaps a link to a good example on this topic?
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Re: Extras

Postby McDuffies on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:18 am

Forum avatars or sets of desktop icons. You can find apps to make screen savers. Make a separate page for extras, you can just have wallpapers or avatars load as images, but it looks better if you pack them into sets as rar or zip files and then put links for file download. Thumbnails of what they're downloading above links, of course. Put a link to extras page prominently on main page, with a thumbnail or two, somewhere prominently. You can always remove it later.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am

chainmailbikini wrote:Or perhaps a link to a good example on this topic?

This looks like a good time to quote my May post from the W.A.Y. 2012 thread:

---------------------------
Here are some of the ones that stood out to me from my reviews:

A Loonatic's Tale
Demon of the Underground
Derelict
Four Tales
Gloomverse
How to Save the World
The Prime of Ambition
---------------------------

If you wanna feature the extras on your main page, you could try having a small "announcements" section at the bottom of the page like Derelict does. As for presenting them, you can always just stick stuff on another page with thumbnails -- I don't find that part particularly relevant as long as the links actually work and the person doesn't completely suck at HTML.

As for content, the standard stuff's great, but what I really like is the more creative, off-the-wall stuff. Villain does a really good job of that, and I particularly like how they have MP3 downloads of the creators doing audio commentary for the comic. McDuffies' suggestion of doing stuff for forums and desktops is a similarly creative idea.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby chainmailbikini on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 am

Thank you both. A lot of exellent ideas here! I've got a lot to think about.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:A Loonatic's Tale

Where's Ace Bunny in that thing?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:32 am

McDuffies wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:A Loonatic's Tale

Where's Ace Bunny in that thing?

I'll add that to my list of "Good webcomics that didn't really seem to put too much thought into it when they were trying to come up with a name."
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 am

I should make one such comic. Hmm. "Blaberjab". It will be a bleak drama about domestic abuse.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks