Warm? Or Cool?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Warm? Or Cool?

Postby CMikeNIke on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

While doing the color flats today, I ran into a conundrum. See, after my complete loss of pages, I decided to redesign a character, try and make it a bit more purposeful, rather than making it up as I go along. But, in the thought process, I forgot about his coloring. His body suit has to be purple, and his cloak USED to be a lighter purple, but I have since decided I wanted another color, because it's just a bit much if it's all purple. But I could use some thoughts on what color to make his cloak to work with him, and specifically if I want it to be the warmer maroon, or cooler Navy-ish. Things to consider are that the heroes have mostly worked at night, and are still sort of in the 'Urban Legend' state, so that's why I'm sticking with a darker color.

-OR-

Also, please excuse the 'eh' coloring of the cloaks, I just bucket filled them to make up the jpgs, so there is a fair amount of white poking through, and I forgot to turn the Black back on when making the blue one.
CMikeNIke
Regular Poster

Re: Warm? Or Cool?

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm in favor of the maroon cape. It seems a little more fun, and has more personality.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I think the warm also fits better with the rest of the colors of the outfit. The blue seems to clash a bit at least to my eye.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shucking Oysters on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 pm

The blue also doesn't seem to have the deffinition that the maroon does, of course that could just be an after-effect of the colouring.

I have to say that the the blue cape may bring you back to the same problem you had with the purple -- because of the transitional hue of the bodysuit, this is just too much blue. The warmer red gives it a lot more ziff.
Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks