Timezone Conundrum

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Timezone Conundrum

Postby Kirsty Shadowdancer on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Okay - so I've created a webcomic on your service. I've got it started, I have a couple of pages posted but I have no idea what it's updating at and when.

The problem I'm having is understanding the time-zones listed on the website (which are in what?) And converting them to my timezone where I am which is GMT+8 Western Australia.
I want to figure out the best time to have the comic update so that if I post it by Midnight the day before the comic must go live here and still have it turn up at the appropriate time where you are. Unfortunately I seam to be way to lame cause I can't calculate the PST (?) time relative to that.

Any help here would be appreciated. Also could somebody explain how the 'Tomorrow' and 'Today' column operate in regards to this.
Kirsty Shadowdancer

Re: Timezone Conundrum

Postby spoonyliger on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:57 am

Hm... I don't think it matters what time zone you're in. I would just wait and see when your site actually updates on its own and that's how you figure out what time it updates. I personally don't know because everytime I update mine I do a forced update. Anyways, hopefully someone will answer that question a little better in a few hours.

Kirsty Shadowdancer wrote:Could somebody explain how the 'Tomorrow' and 'Today' column operate in regards to this.

Columns? You mean the KeenTags? If so - your comic pages are organized by date, so if you've named one of your pages 20120803.png, then when you're on either the home page or the 20120803.htm page (which are the default locations for this tag), then you will see that page show up. The Tomorrow column, or the in this case the next_day tag, is just the button that navigates your readers to the next page, in this example it would be 20120804.htm (containing the page for that day which would be 20120804.png).

Coincidentally, here's a good Beginner's Guide if you haven't looked at it yet:
http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.ph ... Start_Here
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:10 am

From http://www.timezoneconverter.com/ :

12:00:01 a.m. Friday August 3, 2012 in GMT+8 converts to
08:00:01 a.m. Thursday August 2, 2012 in GMT-8

spoonyliger wrote:Columns? You mean the KeenTags?

I think Kirsty's referring to the "AutoUpdate Time" setting in Site Admin, which gives two sets of times for updating -- one for "Today," and one for "Tomorrow." If the page is intended to go live at midnight GMT+8, then I assume setting the scheduler to 8 a.m. PST/GMT-8 Today would be correct. If that doesn't work properly, then setting it to 8 a.m. PST/GMT-8 Tomorrow might work instead.

Also, under these settings, if a page is uploaded after midnight GMT+8, it can still be pushed live at any time by doing a manual update at http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/ .
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kirsty Shadowdancer on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Cabbage understood correctly. I was trying to configure the admin panel so my comic updates midnight My time here in Australia. Thanks for the help Cabbages it seams to work.
Kirsty Shadowdancer

Return to Help Center