How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby robotthepirate on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:54 am

On the other hand it's football tonight so I could draw during that.

I'm suporting Germany, I do that for the major tournaments now after England didn't qualify for the Euro in 2008 and we had to pick new teams to support. Kinda glad England didn't beat Italy just so I didn't end up really confused when they would have faced Germany tomorrow.
My wife supports Spain, so hopefully they'll defeat Portugal tonight. I don't like Portugal for obvious reasons, by which I mean people, by which I mean person.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:33 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I have ~17 pages left in this chapter and I'm really hungry to finish them before August 8, at which point it will mark a year since i started this damn chapter :lol: I doubt I'll be able to do it in time

I know that feeling *sigh*

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I've been looking at some wretched deviantart pictures

THAT explains the extra page view!

But seriously, does Cuddly have a dA page?
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I have ~17 pages left in this chapter and I'm really hungry to finish them before August 8, at which point it will mark a year since i started this damn chapter :lol: I doubt I'll be able to do it in time

I know that feeling *sigh*

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I've been looking at some wretched deviantart pictures

THAT explains the extra page view!

But seriously, does Cuddly have a dA page?

She does, but barely uses it and has I think four whole pictures on it, two of which are the same but one's resized :P I'm butteredhugs over there I think, though there might be an underscore before hugs.

No man, the things I'm looking at... my God, we're all Rembrandts and Picassos. Never doubt yourselves, friends. I've gazed into the abyss. We are safe.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:No man, the things I'm looking at... my God, we're all Rembrandts and Picassos. Never doubt yourselves, friends. I've gazed into the abyss. We are safe.

Oh so more the EncylopediaDramatica type material...

I'd suggest some brain bleach and those dark goggles people watch solar eclipses with.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm

I think never being quite satisfied with your own work is quite a healthy approach, many artists I like appear as something of perfectionists to outsiders and fans, but that's just coming from having an idealized, unattainable picture of what your art (or skills) should be like.
Of course that goes as long as you've established a criteria of adequacy, after which you stop tampering with your work and let it live it's own life. It's crucial that you're able to draw a line above your work and say "For better or worse, this is finished." Going back to your old work and fixing it up over and over again, or touching up pages for months or longer before publishing them are ways to stunt your creative growth.

She does, but barely uses it and has I think four whole pictures on it, two of which are the same but one's resized I'm butteredhugs over there I think

I see the pattern. CharmingProcessedMeat?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm

LOL. thatll be for my next forum.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:42 am

You wanna be called Meatie?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:45 pm

McDuffies wrote:You wanna be called Meatie?

It's a childhood nickname I would be okay resurrecting.

i'm lying don't fret
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I was thinking how weird it was because my childhood nickname was Potato.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:40 am

Put off all the decisions I didn't wanna make until later and now all I have left is a bunch of decisions I don't wanna make.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby peterabnny on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:45 am

robotthepirate wrote:That looks awesome, Peter! Much slicker image, and actually a lot more 10s (what do we call this decade anyway!)

Inspiring me to do some more RTP (which hasn't updated in far too long) and I would but the Wife will be home soon so I shouldn't get started at anything.

Really??? Wow, I thought the only thing my crap could inspire is to be held up as a horrible example. But thanks just the same! :)

Also inspiring me to have a look at the WAY thread again.

Now that this ep is finally done, I can go on to other things - like the WAY thread.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I just clicked the link and already like the new splash/banner/title thingie.

Feh... That monstrosity just a temporary placeholder until I get this new banner done. Should be MUCH better complete (I hope).

Good luck with your quest for improvement, friend :) I'm on a similar kick right now as well. I'm looking to buy a few educational art books because I'm finding that a lot of criticisms I think about other comics apply to my own as well, and it's time to stop floatin' and start swimmin', if you will. I also want to do some more work fixing up the coding and design of my site, but it's functional for now so I'll worry about that later.

I have ~17 pages left in this chapter and I'm really hungry to finish them before August 8, at which point it will mark a year since i started this damn chapter :lol: I doubt I'll be able to do it in time, but I've been looking at some wretched deviantart pictures and feel encouraged and inspired.[/quote]

Well, there you go! Good luck to you as well! :)

McDuffies wrote:I think never being quite satisfied with your own work is quite a healthy approach, many artists I like appear as something of perfectionists to outsiders and fans, but that's just coming from having an idealized, unattainable picture of what your art (or skills) should be like.
Of course that goes as long as you've established a criteria of adequacy, after which you stop tampering with your work and let it live it's own life. It's crucial that you're able to draw a line above your work and say "For better or worse, this is finished." Going back to your old work and fixing it up over and over again, or touching up pages for months or longer before publishing them are ways to stunt your creative growth.

In my case, I would have thought that my most recent stuff was my best stuff until I started getting peer-to-peer reviews on it. Then I came to painfully realize just how very, very far I have to go to consider my work even adequate. Don't see the light yet but hopefully working towards it.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Shucking Oysters on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 am

Just decided that my roommate's use of pencil's isn't quite working for what I had in mind for colouring. Seriously considering going a more high-tech route once I feel more comfortable with the characters' designs on ink and paper.

Just started the second introductory storyline and setting the groundwork for the first major story line. It's kinda weird actually seeing this take shape (and a shape that's reasonably similar to what I imagined).
Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:11 pm

I finished scripting a 96-page rough draft for a story set in the Freedom Fries/Orange Revolution universe. I'm pretty excited about the story; I'm less excited about actually drawing it, particularly since I haven't done any drawing in a long time. I'm planning on spending a few months doing art practice in preparation, though, so hopefully I'll be posting some random drawings on the forums in the near future.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:22 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I finished scripting a 96-page rough draft for a story set in the Freedom Fries/Orange Revolution universe. I'm pretty excited about the story; I'm less excited about actually drawing it, particularly since I haven't done any drawing in a long time. I'm planning on spending a few months doing art practice in preparation, though, so hopefully I'll be posting some random drawings on the forums in the near future.

Nice, I look forward to it.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm

The comic will be 96 pages or the rough draft is 96 pages?
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby chainmailbikini on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 am

I'm working on coloring page 6 for tuesday. I have 2 pages after that inked already. Before I started, I had the whole first issue (chapter) thumbnailed out (22 pages). I'm about 3 thumbs into issue 2. I think this story arc will take at least 3 or 4 chapters total. I'm not sure -exactly- how it will wrap up yet, but I know what direction I'm going in, for now. I'm a little concerned I might not be able to keep my pace once I run out of inked pages, the good news is I can ink in my spare time at work. I would love to get to a point where I can start posting twice a week, that's my goal to work up to. We'll see.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 am

I'm trying to part my weeks in some way to give me a few hours of drawing time.. enough to draw a page or two a week. its been tough!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Nice, I look forward to it.

Thanks. The story seems pretty different from anything I've written before, so hopefully it'll appeal to people who didn't like my previous comics.

Yeahduff wrote:The comic will be 96 pages or the rough draft is 96 pages?

96 comic pages, or four 24-page chapters.

chainmailbikini wrote:I would love to get to a point where I can start posting twice a week, that's my goal to work up to. We'll see.

That'd be fairly impressive if you can manage it.

Phact0rri wrote:I'm trying to part my weeks in some way to give me a few hours of drawing time.. enough to draw a page or two a week. its been tough!

That's the boat I'm in, too, getting mentally prepared to start drawing again. I think I'm gonna hafta say bye-bye to my video games. :(
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

....so....close...

Postby Cope on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 pm

...al...most...there...god...damn...it....
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Terotrous on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:28 am

The lineart for my next page is done. I've gotten so lazy at doing these, but at the same time I'm kind of amazed I've kept it up this long.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion