Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead inside

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Re: Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead ins

Post by Laemkral »

Well, an entire day of logistics work shot to hell because I forgot about attached units. Fuck.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Sometimes, as a philosophical exercise, I think about what kind of country it would be if politicians had to take a vow of poverty for the time spent in office. I suppose this exercise would be interesting in thinking about high-level management, too.
That's my view. That way people would go into politicians would be the people who want to make a difference and wouldn't be influenced by the money. And they hopefully wouldn't be obsessed with keeping power. A lot of the time I feel the government is so keen not to anger anyone in case they lose their seat of power at the next election they never do anything of worth at all. Which is one thing I respect the current government for not doing, even if a lot of decisions are ridiculous, stupid and toff-y. Anyway, if politicians weren't making decent money then at least they'd know that if they lost their power they could make more money in the private sector.

It's all very silly in the end. The workforce infantry complain about how much the company generals get paid when its not them getting shot at every day. The generals justify their pay by pointing out they have to keep all the infantry pointing in the right direction. In the end it comes down to the notion that your reward for doing the job you do and the value others put on your contribution is purely how much money they give you at the end of the month. But the scales aren't balanced between pay and stress. Society is so earthly and money based people feel they need money to make them happy and certainly to an extent money does make you happy and give you security, but because higher paid jobs are usually more stressful (and therefore damaging to health and happiness) people feel the need for more and more money to compensate. But once financial security and piece of mind is reached, an increased income becomes exponentially less fulfilling. It doesn't matter how much money you have in your bank or what car you drive when your too busy to do your hobbies or see your child's play or if all the time you're at work you just want to pick up your computer and throw it out of the window. The notion that we are worth what people pay us ultimately makes for unhappy people, but the only way those people can think of to make themselves happier is to be paid more.

At the end of the day if you can pay your bills, teach your kids there's more to life than stuff and live comfortably on an average wage from a low stress job your will be happy and healthy and that's what counts.
(Though it helps if you have a government who will pay your hospital and education fees.)

...Yeah I'm a hippy. So sue me.
Image Image Image Image

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Post by peterabnny »

I was gonna say something, but I can't think anymore as my mind's already shutting down. What asshole sets off fireworks late in the evening when people are trying to sleep, this long after the Fourth and with everyone's landscapes as dry and fire-prone as they are? One of my neighbors did; setting off few enough that you don't know exactly where they're coming from, but enough to wake you up and get you pissed off. So that, coupled with the fact that I kept waking up and taking FOREVER to fall back asleep all night long, means that I'm tired and cranky and just wanting to GTF home today. Long-ass second half of the day ahead... :cry: :cry: :cry:
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org

Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Post by Shucking Oysters »

peterabnny wrote:I was gonna say something, but I can't think anymore as my mind's already shutting down. What asshole sets off fireworks late in the evening when people are trying to sleep, this long after the Fourth and with everyone's landscapes as dry and fire-prone as they are? One of my neighbors did; setting off few enough that you don't know exactly where they're coming from, but enough to wake you up and get you pissed off. So that, coupled with the fact that I kept waking up and taking FOREVER to fall back asleep all night long, means that I'm tired and cranky and just wanting to GTF home today. Long-ass second half of the day ahead... :cry: :cry: :cry:
There are a few of these in every town, it seems. Just be glad that you don't have rubbish thrown at you while you're taking a walk or rocks thrown at your car in the dead of night by bored newly-mobile teenagers off for summer holiday.

Unless you do.

In which case, we should totally form a lynch mob.

Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Post by Laemkral »

Individual Concept of Support assignment is done. I only got two hours of sleep last night, but I finished the crap out of it and then typed out the synch matrix this morning LIKE A BOSS. I brief it tomorrow at 1245 and then I'm done with this phase of the course. Unless I get < 80% on it, in which case I have 48 hours to unfuck myself and rebrief and get above an 80% or get recycled through the phase. But I'm not worried.

That's why I'm drinking a beer right now.

I AM SO TIRED yet I HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY.

Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Post by Laemkral »

Individual Concept of Support assignment is done. I only got two hours of sleep last night, but I finished the crap out of it and then typed out the synch matrix this morning LIKE A BOSS. I brief it tomorrow at 1245 and then I'm done with this phase of the course. Unless I get < 80% on it, in which case I have 48 hours to unfuck myself and rebrief and get above an 80% or get recycled through the phase. But I'm not worried.

That's why I'm drinking a beer right now.

I AM SO TIRED yet I HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

You can say that again!

Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Post by Laemkral »

I tried to delete the double post, but it wouldn't let me. And I'm too lazy to just edit one to a nothing post.

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

Trying to go through crap for a massive two family garage sale with two kids under 4. Possible, but a lesson in frustration.

Damn, we have a lot of crap! 2/3 of our garage is full at the moment.

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Post by peterabnny »

McDuffies wrote:You can say that again!

Must've slipped through a worm hole.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Post by peterabnny »

Shucking Oysters wrote:
There are a few of these in every town, it seems. Just be glad that you don't have rubbish thrown at you while you're taking a walk or rocks thrown at your car in the dead of night by bored newly-mobile teenagers off for summer holiday.

Unless you do.

In which case, we should totally form a lynch mob.

Fortunately, this has a happy ending. Yesterday when I came home from work I hoped to catch a neighbor and ask them about this whole fireworks business, and very soon after I pulled up one did. So I walked down a few houses to talk to him and as it turned out, the culpret was his next door neighbor! It was your typical self-absorbed teenager, and his idiocy kept his neighbor up, too. Only the neighbor wasn't gonna have anything of it and called the police on his ass! No, I'm definitely not alone in this fight; he's on it. 8-)

Quiet night last night. It's amazing how good you feel after a good night's sleep innit? :)

Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Post by Laemkral »

So.....I have 96 hours to unfuck myself and rebrief and get above an 80% or get recycled through the phase.

But I'm not worried.

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

Laemkral wrote:So.....I have 96 hours to unfuck myself and rebrief and get above an 80% or get recycled through the phase.

But I'm not worried.
Come on Laemy! You can do it!
Image Image Image Image

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Post by peterabnny »

robotthepirate wrote:
Laemkral wrote:So.....I have 96 hours to unfuck myself and rebrief and get above an 80% or get recycled through the phase.

But I'm not worried.
Come on Laemy! You can do it!

Yeah - fuhgettaboutit, you'll do it!

Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Completely sick of the Penn State news, especially as I currently live less than an hour from the epicenter. It's not made any better by the fact that my family tells me it's also top news on the BBC, so naturally I'm fielding a bunch of question from them as well. :x

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Post by peterabnny »

Shucking Oysters wrote:Completely sick of the Penn State news, especially as I currently live less than an hour from the epicenter. It's not made any better by the fact that my family tells me it's also top news on the BBC, so naturally I'm fielding a bunch of question from them as well. :x

From your family or the BBC?

Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

peterabnny wrote:From your family or the BBC?
My family, thankfully -- There are WAY more interesting people than me for the BBC to talk to.

Mastermind
Regular Poster

Post by Mastermind »

Today I answered the phone and got insulted and falsely accused of offending someone and their mother. The hysterical bitch yelled louder whenever I tried to ask WTF and then hung up. Who else loves this sort of people? :-?

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warren »

Mastermind wrote:Today I answered the phone and got insulted and falsely accused of offending someone and their mother. The hysterical bitch yelled louder whenever I tried to ask WTF and then hung up. Who else loves this sort of people? :-?
That was probably my ex. Sorry about that.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warren »

Shucking Oysters wrote:Completely sick of the Penn State news, especially as I currently live less than an hour from the epicenter. It's not made any better by the fact that my family tells me it's also top news on the BBC, so naturally I'm fielding a bunch of question from them as well. :x
Which side? I'm about 90-100 minutes to the west.

And I dropped out of PSU years ago. :wink:
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care