I'll review your webcomic.

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby Timeforsleep on Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:Webcomic: Owl and Fish-man
URL: http://www.timeforsleep.net/
Creator/s: Jessen Sheridan
Run: 7/10-current
Schedule: Tu/Th
Section/s: Ch. 8, "Prejudice"

Hey cool!
Thanks for taking the time to review my webcomic (sorry for the delayed reply). No one has ever done that for me before!
I really appreciate your critique of my work as I am always trying out new stories, styles and themes (and color schemes; I'm definitely going to be changing that a little later this year lol). I'll certainly be taking many of your suggestions to heart.

I did want to briefly clarify a couple of points you made, if you don't mind? As my story is an ongoing, chapter-based one, there can be some loss of context when reviewing a single, later chapter (though I completely understand why you do so for the purpose of your reviews). For example, there is character development happening, though it is happening over the course of the story, so the evidence is not seen over the course of this one chapter. As well, the narrative text at the top of each page is designed to be contradictory and provide misinformation (it is more clear when starting with chapter one and the reason for its inclusion will be explained come the epilogue) so I promise I wasn't including incorrect details due to laziness. Finally, the entirety of the comic is not based around racism, only this chapter (and I agree my treatment was simplistic and brief). While I tend to disagree that the subject of racism is not appropriate for younger audiences, that is just my opinion which comes from previous experiences as a teacher, so it's not an actual gripe lol

Anyways, thanks for hearing me out and thanks again for the review, it is the best way to learn! And thanks, also, for the encouraging push. I appreciate you noting my literary background and implying that I could do more detailed, less simplistic work both story-wise and illustration-wise. When I finish my run of Owl and Fish-man, I am hoping to do a more stylistically different story so the encouragement is not lost on me.
Best of luck with your future reviews and thanks for taking some time out for my little webcomic! :)
Timeforsleep

Postby Harishankar on Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I've replied to most of your points in the other thread as well. I think I get your main point about the humour not being conveyed to a general audience...

Once again, thank you for taking the time to be so patient and explaining your review. I certainly feel a lot more positive about it now.
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am

Timeforsleep wrote:Thanks for taking the time to review my webcomic (sorry for the delayed reply). No one has ever done that for me before!

No problem!
Timeforsleep wrote:As my story is an ongoing, chapter-based one, there can be some loss of context when reviewing a single, later chapter (though I completely understand why you do so for the purpose of your reviews)

Do you? It's kinda funny, just yesterday on another forum I got chewed out and literally accused of being a troll for reviewing a webcomic without reading all of the chapters. I actually don't remember a lack of context being an issue in Owl and Fish-Man, though, especially since the chapter's main situation (the lovers' forbidden relationship) is very well-explained.

Timeforsleep wrote:As well, the narrative text at the top of each page is designed to be contradictory and provide misinformation (it is more clear when starting with chapter one and the reason for its inclusion will be explained come the epilogue) so I promise I wasn't including incorrect details due to laziness. Finally, the entirety of the comic is not based around racism, only this chapter (and I agree my treatment was simplistic and brief). While I tend to disagree that the subject of racism is not appropriate for younger audiences, that is just my opinion which comes from previous experiences as a teacher, so it's not an actual gripe lol

You may wanna try to make some things like this more clear, as while the current readers may get it, you wanna try to appeal to new readers as well. It's also still unclear to me who the intended audience for this comic is, as I don't remember any evidence that young children read webcomics at all. (The one exception to this would be Dutch's comic School Spirit, but as I understand it, he gives his students print copies of the strips to read.)

Timeforsleep wrote:Anyways, thanks for hearing me out and thanks again for the review, it is the best way to learn! And thanks, also, for the encouraging push. I appreciate you noting my literary background and implying that I could do more detailed, less simplistic work both story-wise and illustration-wise. When I finish my run of Owl and Fish-man, I am hoping to do a more stylistically different story so the encouragement is not lost on me.

I'll say that simple comics for children are fine if children enjoy them, but again, I feel like it's far more likely that the comic will be read by teenagers or adults, which presents a mismatch.

Timeforsleep wrote:Best of luck with your future reviews and thanks for taking some time out for my little webcomic! :)

Thanks! I realize some people are put off by getting a review without asking for one, so I'm glad it didn't bother you.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri May 25, 2012 10:33 am

Harishankar wrote:Once again, thank you for taking the time to be so patient and explaining your review. I certainly feel a lot more positive about it now.

No problem. I realize my review was shorter than usual, so it makes sense to me that some of it could be elaborated on.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Timeforsleep on Fri May 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey again, thanks for the reply!

LibertyCabbage wrote:It's kinda funny, just yesterday on another forum I got chewed out and literally accused of being a troll for reviewing a webcomic without reading all of the chapters.

I definitely do understand time constraints (or desire) limiting the reading of an entire chapter-based story for your reviews. I think that you do an overall good job of analyzing issues with a webcomic without faulting authors for issues in the story that are just taken out of context (with a few exceptions). By avoiding these instances I think it makes for solid reviews that puts emphasis on what you feel the author could better spend their time improving.

LibertyCabbage wrote:You may wanna try to make some things like this more clear, as while the current readers may get it, you wanna try to appeal to new readers as well. It's also still unclear to me who the intended audience for this comic is, as I don't remember any evidence that young children read webcomics at all. (The one exception to this would be Dutch's comic School Spirit, but as I understand it, he gives his students print copies of the strips to read.)

I can definitely understand that! I try my best (with my links and advertisements) to direct people to the start of Owl and Fish-man (or my other stories) as I tend to compose my stories in a way that doesn't offer much for readers jumping in at a later point in the story. However, as such, I may need to rework my home page (timeforsleep.net) in order to emphasize starting from the beginning. My target audience started in a slightly similar fashion; the original audience for Owl and Fish-man were students of mine. Though my target audience is now shifting and I find myself (and some readers) wanting a more mature kind of story and I really appreciate the extra push to make it my focus, it really helped!

Anyways, thanks again for the review and for listening to me prattle on. Have yourself a great weekend!
Cheers!
Timeforsleep

Postby Timeforsleep on Fri May 25, 2012 3:32 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:Thanks! I realize some people are put off by getting a review without asking for one, so I'm glad it didn't bother you.

Also, I actually appreciate you picking my webcomic to review without me asking. So thanks again, it's encouraging!
Cheers!
Timeforsleep

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Webcomic: The Seekers
URL: http://theseekerscomic.byethost33.com/index_en.html
Creator/s: ?
Run: ?
Schedule: ?
Section/s: Ch. 3, "Earthly Encounter"

Website: Oddly, this is the first comic I've reviewed where no credit's given to the creator. I'm unsure how relevant this is in terms of ownership, but the creator should probably at least provide an e-mail address so that readers can contact him or her directly.

The site's obviously very basic, and I encourage the creator to develop it more. The Noob has an excellent MMO-themed site, and while I don't expect webcomics to have sites that elaborate, it serves as a nice ideal.

Writing: The Seekers is yet another webcomic based on the extremely popular World of Warcraft franchise; however, instead of parodying WoW as some popular webcomics like Looking For Group, Dark Legacy Comics, and TEH GLADIATORS do, The Seekers offers a refreshing take on WoW by portraying it straight up. Webcomic history suggests that humorous gaming comics have a wider audience -- for example, serious Dungeons & Dragons-based webcomics like Darken and Tales of the Traveling Gnome are easily eclipsed in popularity by the goofy Order of the Stick -- but I think there's definitely a demand on the web for more high-quality fantasy comics.

The story's also unconventional in the sense that it covers the exploits of a newbie troll in Durotar, meaning it follows a member of the least popular player race through WoW's ugliest-looking starting zone. This creative decision offers a different sort of fantasy setting, one eschewing the Alliance's familiarity and glamour in favor of the Horde's rough, unattractive aesthetic. Far from the idyllic farms and lakes of Elwynn Forest, Durotar's presented as a barren wasteland. Even the Horde lumber camp's barely portrayed, offering only a minimal sense of civilization and refuge. This concept's also very ubiquitous in the sense that all WoW players must go through this starting-area phase, and even many non-WoW players will likely be familiar with the "It's dangerous to go alone!" mentality of the early stages of role-playing games.

The dialogue and characterizations are fairly strong, with the shaman having a mysterious aura and a heavy troll accent, and the peons having the dopey-but-diligent personality fans of the Warcraft series will recognize (e.g., Warcraft III's "No time for play! Me not that kind of orc!"). The skeptical female orc and the wise shaman teacher have a degree of depth as well. However, while the lack of information about the newbie shaman succeeds in making him seem strange and interesting, he currently comes across as too generic and indistinct for a protagonist. I'd like to see more of his personality, background, and motivations come into play.

Art: The creator's done an excellent job of capturing Sam Didier's distinctive art style, and I was able to pick up immediately that this is a WoW-based webcomic. Fans of the game will notice that the creator's put some significant effort into portraying Durotar accurately, and that goes beyond just the orcs and trolls -- minor aspects, like the flora and weaponry, are taken straight from the game. The shaman's quest to visit the elemental stone's also from WoW, and I believe the third panel here's a view of the bay surrounding the goblin town of Ratchet, of which an in-game version can be seen in the screenshot here. These recreations should be very appealing to the WoW players who are familiar with them. Some readers might consider the oversized hands and feet to look a little too silly, but the races in WoW, including humans, have wonky anatomy, so it seems fitting to me.

I was concerned at first about the monochrome nature of the comic, as the first six pages of the chapter show the backgrounds and characters in a washed-out orange. Most of the chapter's like this, but, fortunately, the creator mixes in a blue night scene, and then later, a colorful acid trip scene. These diversions from the normal style help a lot, as they allow the comic to have a unique look without being overly monotonous. The creator should continue to pay attention to this color balance in future chapters and be careful not to get carried away with any one particular aesthetic.

The comic's wide shots do a great job of conveying Durotar's inhospitable environment, but I think the civilized part's relevant as well, and the chapter doesn't really portray that aspect. As I mentioned above, the reader's only treated to vague glimpses of the buildings in the lumber camp, and I see this as a missed opportunity, partly in terms of skimming over the Horde's interesting architecture, but moreso in that it downplays the Horde's essential characteristics of industry and optimism. There are also a ton of shots of the rocky terrain in general, so at the very least, focusing more on the people and structures would be a nice change of pace.

Lastly, the line widths in the beginning of the chapter are very homogeneous, but the creator seems to have improved at inking quite a bit over the course of the 24 pages. The more recent pages do a much better job in terms of line variation.

Overall: The Seekers is an attractive and engaging fantasy comic that WoW players should be eager to read -- and, fortunately, there are a lot of those around. It offers a grittier and more realistic setting than usual, which is an interesting alternative to the more typical "A human, an elf, and a dwarf walk into a bar..." kind of setup. However, I expect the comic to also find readers outside of its main audience, as its quality and creativity reach beyond the boundaries of genre. I think this is a webcomic to watch, and I can see it becoming one of the more prominent MMO-based comics once it gets more exposure.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 pm

FYI, for those who are interested, my "review queue" is currently:

1. And to Be Loved, from W.A.Y.
2. T-Minus, from SJ
3. The Widdershins book I got in the mail but haven't read yet
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby ovnuniarchos on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:51 am

Thanks for reviewing my comic. I… was not prepared for such a positive review! :o
I have to agree on the relatively flat characterization of the protagonist. I think I suffer a bit of Disney characterization, where secondaries tend to be more interesting than protagonists.
Regarding environments: There will be some more urban-y places, starting when he arrives to Sen'jin, although I must admit that all this emphasis on rocks and whatnot is mainly due to:
    * I love doing scenery pr0n.
    * I'm a big fan of Moebius…
    * …and drawing urban/crowd scenes terrifies me (but I will have to draw them nonetheless).
No contact info! *slaps forehead* That is something to correct. The rest of the site is to be decorated, of course, much in the vein of Daydream (NSFW)

Anyway, many thanks for the review. Time to get back to work!
ovnuniarchos

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 am

ovnuniarchos wrote:Thanks for reviewing my comic. I… was not prepared for such a positive review! :o

It's a surprise to me as well, as it feels like it's been a while since I haven't trashed a comic I've reviewed. My familiarity with WoW might be a factor, though.

ovnuniarchos wrote:I have to agree on the relatively flat characterization of the protagonist. I think I suffer a bit of Disney characterization, where secondaries tend to be more interesting than protagonists.

I think there's mainly just too much mysteriousness, and not enough concrete info for the reader to latch onto.

ovnuniarchos wrote:Regarding environments: There will be some more urban-y places, starting when he arrives to Sen'jin, although I must admit that all this emphasis on rocks and whatnot is mainly due to:
    * I love doing scenery pr0n.
    * I'm a big fan of Moebius…
    * …and drawing urban/crowd scenes terrifies me (but I will have to draw them nonetheless).

It's understandable that backgrounds get skipped over a lot, as A) they're very time-consuming to draw, and B) they're not obviously relevant to the situation. But the main reason I often criticize webcomics about their backgrounds is that they add a necessary feeling of "realness" and context to the scenes.

I suppose you could always use a screenshot of an in-game location as a reference, and simply add your characters to it.

ovnuniarchos wrote:No contact info! *slaps forehead* That is something to correct.

Yeah, you might as well. You can always set up a comic-only e-mail address for it.

ovnuniarchos wrote:The rest of the site is to be decorated, of course, much in the vein of Daydream (NSFW)
I'm not sold on that site's design, and it looks too busy and distracting to me. It might work better if the creator made the background drawings in sepia tone or something, though, so the comic's colored panels would stand out more.

Anyway, many thanks for the review. Time to get back to work!

No problem! And hopefully chapter 4 turns out even better.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 am

ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

Webcomic: T-Minus
URL: http://tminus.smackjeeves.com/
Creator/s: Patrick Lippert
Run: 5/11-current
Schedule: About twice a month

Website: Searching for "template made by whistleonwild" in Google brings up "about 374,000 results," and they're all the same exact black-white-gray-teal layout I've already seen plenty of times. For a medium that's so heavily focused on being creative and unique, it's disappointing to me that so many webcartoonists find it acceptable to have their site look just like everybody else's.

There are a couple pieces of bonus material, which are a good start, but I think a webcomic that's been updating for more than a year should have more extras on the site by now.

Updates are averaging about two a month so far for 2012, which isn't very good for a comic with such minimalistic artwork. Posting a new strip once a week would be more reasonable, I think, with getting up to two or three a week possibly being a goal the creator could work towards.

Writing: T-Minus is a deceptively complex comic, appearing as a simple space-based gag comic but also having a darker, more sophisticated side to it. Central to the concept is a loss of innocence and an abandonment of faith in humanity, expressed well in this strip. Evident in Major's obvious pessimism that he'll be rescued, then, is an underlying ironic tone in the comic -- that Major accomplishes mankind's ultimate achievement of setting foot on the Moon, and yet nobody cares. In fact, far from getting any respect, his only source of interaction -- the talking robot -- constantly belittles Major by arguing how inferior humans are to robots. And back on Earth, even a fellow astronaut shows no concern for Major's plight, completely ignoring the only person who expresses an interest in his well-being. The situation is pretty dismal for Major, and at one point he even begins to internalize it, suggesting the Moon might be "some personal Hell for some sin I committed."

Major, with his oversized head, has the appearance of a child, and he represents a sense of childish wonder at the world, such as when he remarks in this strip, "When I was a kid, I remember poring through sci-fi novels. Exploring new worlds, discovering new life; that's why I wanted to be an astronaut." However, the Moon is constantly portrayed as a huge disappointment to Major, and the creator seemingly tries to depict the landscape there as being as bland and uninteresting as possible. An imaginative person, Major deals with his reality by dreaming up new identities to idealize, like a chef and a professor, still seeking out another world (this time Earth) as a place where he can find contentment. I think the scenes focused on Major's idealism are the strongest parts of the comics, and I'd be supportive of the creator spending more time exploring T-Minus' philosophical angle.

The comic's humor revolves around the talking robot, which seems intended as a parody of the insubordinate robots from 2001: A Space Odyssey, I, Robot, and Portal, as some examples. While the robot constantly boasts of his physical and mental superiority to Major, at one point even referring to himself as "a demigod," it's actually completely incompetent, and is frequently bested by Major showing a little bit of creativity and stubbornness. I imagine Major might end actually disabling or destroying the robot at some point if he wasn't completely dependent upon it for social interaction. However, while I like the idea of the rebellious robot, the creator seems to dumb it down too much to accommodate the comic's newspaper-style format. That is, I think the robot's arrogance and cynicism could be presented in a much more clever and intellectual way, but instead the creator merely milks the robot for pithy gags, all of which are tepid and predictable. I actually started getting tired of the robot's gags by the earliest strips, and by the latest ones its "I'm better than you" spiel is just repetitive, tedious, and overplayed. It's unclear to me how the creator expects to continue to do an entire strip based on a setup that's already quickly been creatively exhausted. I think a more ideal version of T-Minus would distance itself from the style of newspaper comics, instead going for a more intuitive and robust approach.

Lastly, the scenes taking place at the NASA buildings are clumsily written, and are notably inferior to the rest of the comic. Whether their intended purpose is to convey familiarity, add social commentary, or elaborate on the plot isn't clear, but none of these options sufficiently justify these awkward diversions to me. It also doesn't make sense to me why the creator goes out of his way so much to flesh out NASA's involvement in the story, while the more significant Moon situation is so plotless and abstract. Plot-heavy and plot-light are both okay as long as the comic's consistent about it, but I think strictly focusing on Major's point of view would be the superior choice here, especially since it forces the gnawing uncertainty about Major's fate, as well as reinforcing his detachment and isolation.

Art: The minimalistic style works pretty well for the comic, as a lot of the context concerns how boring and uneventful Major's experience on the Moon is. I'd prefer to see more detail in the backgrounds, though, as while being simple makes sense here, using just a fill or gradient doesn't cut it to me. It's also not an accurate portrayal of the Moon's landscape, as any close-up photograph of the moon's surface shows plenty of rocks, grooves, craters, and other miscellaneous features. T-Minus has such an unusual setting that it seems like a wasted opportunity not to show it properly.

The creator clearly has a lot of difficulty drawing people, so it's fortunate that the main characters are a robot and a guy in a space suit. The creator isn't always successful at hiding his inadequacies, though, such as in this strip, where Major's arms are drawn as having drastically different lengths in each panel. The worst is the first panel here, as Major's arms suddenly get super-long in order to reach above his huge head -- these oversized arms would easily touch the ground if he had them hanging at his sides. And here's another instance of long arms, where Major's torso's so small in the third panel that his arms would also touch the ground there if they were at his sides. In another weak strip, the helmet's visor sticks way out in the second and third panels, and doesn't match the round shape in the first panel and the rest of the comic. The creator should try to do a better job of drawing Major consistently, as well as practice drawing people more in general, especially if he plans to include more Earth scenes in the future.

Line-width variation's a problem in T-Minus, and the illustrations have a poor sense of depth as a result. For example, the characters and objects in the foreground of this strip should have thicker lines than the horizon in the background. There are some instances where the inking's done better (like this page), but I think the comic would look significantly better if the creator paid more attention to this aspect of the artwork.

Lastly, the creator's been experimenting with using different fonts lately, like in this page and this page. These new fonts are harder to read, though, and I don't see anything wrong with the font that was used in the first 32 strips.

Overall: T-Minus is an okay webcomic, and while I wouldn't consider anything about it to be impressive, I think it has some potential, especially if the creator takes advantage of his opportunities for artistic growth. While the concept of a gag comic about a guy stuck on the Moon's a fairly creative idea, the execution from a storytelling perspective's very conventional, and the creator really needs to step it up and figure out a better way of presenting his characters. The artwork's also very amateurish, and while there's a fine line between "minimalistic" and "bad," I think the creator needs to start taking his illustrations more seriously if he intends to be a successful webcartoonist someday. There are some great sci-fi and philosophical elements here waiting to be properly developed, though, once the comic's creative possibilities are fully realized.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

I had some extra time today, so I was able to finish formatting and grading the rest of the reviews for my blog. My latest review, of T-Minus, ended up actually being the 50th review I've written this year (cool!), so I figured it'd be a good time to post a breakdown of the grades, sort of like what peter did a few pages ago.

The formula I used to determine the grades is (2A + 2W + S)/5 = G, where A is art, W is writing, S is website, and G's the overall score. In other words, the art and writing each account for 40% of the score, while the website portion's 20% of it.

5/5 - 8%
Demon of the Underground | Derelict | DOUBLE K | June

4.5/5 - 6%
A Loonatic's Tale | Four Tales | Gloomverse

4/5 - 8%
Clean + Cure | DeSTRESS | Loud Era | Ten Ways Bendy Straws Saved My Life

3.5/5 - 18%
Asylum Heights | Bee Police | Guild Adventure | Koji Takahashi (Stops the World) | Route 148 | The Prime of Ambition | The Seekers | Tripp | Villain

3/5 - 16%
Chaos | Empires of Steam | Fall of God | How to Save the World | Katran | Puck | Quest | Strange Investigations

2.5/5 - 12%
And To Be Loved | Daqueran | T-Minus | The Time Dog | Victory | Without Moonlight

2/5 - 12%
Kokiro | Legalese Reloaded | Mouthwash for the Brain | Rangetsu | Running with Swords | The Further Adventures of VOLTES V

1.5/5 - 14%
Against | Archport City Chronicles | Critters | FML and FTW | Owl and Fish-man | Pixelated Toaster | Wingmen

1/5 - 6%
Crow's Touhoumon Merry Nuzlocke Run | Flying Tigers | Narrative Investigations
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 am

I was browsing the Bad Webcomics Wiki the other day, and I noticed that one of the webcomics I reviewed -- Guild Adventure -- is on there. It was weird seeing Guild Adventure get trashed so bad since I reviewed it fairly favorably (3.5/5). Of course, I praised the artwork in my review, whereas the BWW version skims over that part and focuses just on the fairly weak writing. The webcomics featured on BWW are usually really terrible, but I have a hard time seeing why Guild Adventure wouldn't at least be considered mediocre.

Other updates:

-- I have a Loud Era essay posted over in GD

-- The Webcomic Police will be updating only on Tuesdays now so I can focus on writing longer reviews

-- I'm almost done reading Widdershins. It's a great book so far, and it's pretty neat that it's online for free.
Last edited by LibertyCabbage on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:I was browsing the Bad Webcomics Wiki the other day, and I noticed that one of the webcomics I reviewed -- Guild Adventure -- is on there. It was weird seeing Guild Adventure get trashed so bad since I reviewed it fairly favorably (3.5/5). Of course, I praised the artwork in my review, whereas the BWW version skims over that part and focuses just on the fairly weak writing. The webcomics featured on BWW are usually really terrible, but I have a hard time seeing why Guild Adventure wouldn't at least be considered mediocre.

It ain't the only one. I've already said it, the only reason why Nobody Scores is on there is that it's too smart a comic for whoever reviewed it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am

McDuffies wrote:It ain't the only one. I've already said it, the only reason why Nobody Scores is on there is that it's too smart a comic for whoever reviewed it.

Yeah, all that review does is list examples of "bad" pages, but those pages are all actually pretty good, so the review doesn't make any sense.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
McDuffies wrote:It ain't the only one. I've already said it, the only reason why Nobody Scores is on there is that it's too smart a comic for whoever reviewed it.

Yeah, all that review does is list examples of "bad" pages, but those pages are all actually pretty good, so the review doesn't make any sense.

I found Nobody Scores via BWW and loved it...

...heck there's been a few comics I've found through bad reviews that I really liked.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Yep. The thing with Nobody Scores it that it doesn't lend itself to the first read, the kind of storytelling and humor is such that you really have to pay attention and get involved with the pages. It doesn't make comic worse, if anything it makes it better, a comic for the smart crowd. But I can imagine a 'reviewer' who read it superficially, didn't understand it, and consequently got his ego bruised.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Wonderdrome on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Howdy OP! I'm really impressed with the attention and clarity you give to your reviews, and I would really love to receive one from you if you have the time!

I know it's awful and entirely lacking in style to post in this thread requesting a review as my first post. But damn it, it's better to lack style than honesty. I saw your big juicy reviews of yours sittin' in the window and couldn't sign up to comic genesis fast enough. I'd go on if I could stop sounding to myself like I was fishing for a good one.

My comic, Wonderdrome, is here if you're interested. Thank you!
Wonderdrome

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 am

Welcome to the forums!

Sure, I'll give Wonderdrome a write-up. And regardless of its quality, I can tell from a quick glance that you're at least trying to do something different. It'd be worse if it was both bad and was blatantly ripping off popular webcomics.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks